Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full day instructional series at Osprey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What else can you get for $650.Three private 1 hour lessons and 4-6 rounds of golf.I like the private lessons + going out 4-6 times where and when I want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Albatross View Post
      hey guys, just saw that Nick Starchuk is hosting a series of full day clinics with guest instructors. Great opportunity to learn a lot and practice at a great facility. Iíll be hitting up at least one day as I could use the help!
      Thank you so much Albatross!!! Hit it all over the map last night on a sim in Barrieónow Iíve got something to look forward to. Nick is awesome! Some fellow nuts introduced me a couple years ago:

https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/foru...gta-and-beyond

Couldnít have been happier with the day I spent with him. Iíve always had a hard time following up traditional lessons as I was unsure if I was practising correctly between sessions. The one-day format gave me enough time to practice and better retain new skills. And as I live out of town, ocassional online instruction with him has been enough to keep me going since.

To clarify a few earlier posts... the morning was spent on the range, we took a much needed break for a great lunch in the clubhouse, then it was back to the practice facility for more instruction. He covered all aspects of the game.

And just as I was warned... get yourself ready to hit some serious balls!
      Last edited by BigBry; Mar 14, 2019, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Man I donít have enough space to write all the good things i have to say about nick! Iíve been working with him over the winter and wow. Heís improved my ball striking tremendously, I went to him sitting at a 4 cap excited to see what Iím going to be like this year. I wonít even mention the increases in numbers as that opens up a whole new thread of ďyou canít hit it that farĒ but wow I hit some shots that even suprise me. Heís a great teacher and really helps you understand why and how the clubs gotta move! Heís given me a better understanding of key position that allow me to be more effective and swing faster without feeling like it.

A buddy of mine whos a good player for the amount of time he spends playing the game but not a single digit handicap has had a complete overhaul swing change with nick and Iíve seen him hit some shots now he couldnít dream of hitting in mid season form last year. Nick has done a great job showing him how to you use legs to generate power! Remarkable work from the both of them.

his teaching style is simple when it needs to be and complex when it needs to be, he really caters to the player heís dealing with. Not to mention heís a complete beauty!

650 is well worth your time with nick, but it comes down to your goal. Are you looking to improve or are you happy shooting 90 (104 if we play by the rules) with the boys on a Sunday afternoon. To me I seen the value in investing in my game, but if youíre comparing the price of lessons to 4-6 rounds of golf maybe day school just isnít what your looking for in the game. We all shell out $ on new gear in the hopes of dropping a shot or 2, nick can 100% help you drop shots with the sticks you got.
        Last edited by Geeve1008; Mar 14, 2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Above note is very well articulated.

Having known Nick a long time and taken a few of the all day schools he has hosted, it is beyond an amazing experience.

There is more retention as it relates to swing concepts as you have a whole day to ingrain them under his watchful eye.

Nick has the knack to make swing concepts as technical as you may want or as simple as you may want. Could not recommend it enough.

Comment

I've heard nothing but great things about Nick and his ability to cater to his students definitely makes him a better teacher than most instructors. That said, a one day one-off is no good for learning so you are just going for the experience unless you already have a lot of deep knowledge that aligns with Nick's and are just looking for tidbits. Any number of private lessons you can get for the same price with him, where he's focused solely on you with days for you to digest and apply the info before next lesson and redirection by Nick will be of much more value than an all in one 8hr event.

I guess if you are decently advanced player (single cap) and are really just looking for that one little tweak here or there, this one day bonanza could be good for you. Otherwise there is just too much new stuff that there just isn't enough time to learn... Harvey Pennick wrote a story about the worst lesson he ever gave (which he thought would be the best as he started it), it was an all encompassing lesson jam packed with all the insights he wanted to relay to his student. But it was too much all at once and all rendered useless. Four lessons of 1hr/wk spread over 4-12weeks will have so much of a greater effect than a one day intense session that the two aren't even in the same ballpark imo.

Just looking at how motor ability is acquired, we now know that sleep is vital for building motor skills and the nervous system rewiring itself for a new movement skill/pathway takes days or even weeks. The same information, chunked and spread out with time for the body to catch up will get way better results than getting it all at once and not seeing the coach again for fine tuning and redirection. So again, I love Nick and how he teaches, but it is the format of the one day lesson that I am against and think is a waste of time unless you are just looking for the experience. TBH this is something that other teachers should be more interested in than players, ala a super coaching clinic u see in other sports where u get everything at once as an overview to a very knowledgeable audience who can improve as coaches by picking and choosing certain concepts presented. For that, 650 is a steal, for playing lessons, not so much imo.

Comment

Originally posted by SmoothBomber View Post
              So again, I love Nick and how he teaches, but it is the format of the one day lesson that I am against and think is a waste of time unless you are just looking for the experience.
              Too harsh to say a 1 day golf school is a waste of time.

A golf school is essentially a combination of a private lesson, a group lesson and practice time. I'd agree that if you're a complete golf beginner you should take things slow and probably not go to an intense all day golf school as it could be too much information but you'd still get benefits from the instruction and practice time

Comment

I have attended one of Nick's day schools at Glen Abbey a couple of years ago and it was definitely well worth it!

He is a great instructor who has a way of instilling simple swing thoughts to help correct swing flaws.

You end up hitting a lot of balls so make sure you get a good nights sleep and eat your Wheaties before you go....

Comment

[QUOTE=thebogeyman;n2937332]Highlight of this thread has been Nick]

Explain please
                  Last edited by grasbunkers; Mar 19, 2019, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

Explain please
                    He had taken screenshots of replies from this thread and posted them in his IG stories. Thought it was pretty humorous. He did it earlier this week and again today - deleted now

Comment

As someone whoís worked with Nick as well as Dana Dahlquist I couldnít agree more with the value of a golf school. Having attended 3 schools with Dana and seen him for individual lessons, I can attest to the value in both. The schools had players from the professional level to high cappers, young and old. Generally the days are broken up to make an 8 hour day very sustainable for the lesser fit. Seeing other players get worked on brings a new beneficial perspective to anyone I believe. Allowing time to work on new patterns and better conceptualize pieces through more time together allows for a small learning curve

Comment

Originally posted by thebogeyman View Post

He had taken screenshots of replies from this thread and posted them in his IG stories. Thought it was pretty humorous. He did it earlier this week and again today - deleted now
                        Gotcha. Although I don't know what IG stories are.

Comment

Sounds like a great day and a chance to meet up with fellow TGN members.

Comment

Originally posted by Toughpar3 View Post

Too harsh to say a 1 day golf school is a waste of time.

A golf school is essentially a combination of a private lesson, a group lesson and practice time. I'd agree that if you're a complete golf beginner you should take things slow and probably not go to an intense all day golf school as it could be too much information but you'd still get benefits from the instruction and practice time
                            Yes a bit harsh. What I was really getting at is that spending the 650 fee on private lessons spread over a couple of weeks or months will benefit one much more than the intense 1 day event. imo, private lessons will outperform the one-off by so much that the difference basically makes the 1 day event a waste...unless you are going for the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

Gotcha. Although I don't know what IG stories are.
                              Instagram stories. It allows someone with an Instagram account (or IG) to post a video or static image that is only visible for 24 hours (if memory serves me correctly). It's a little like Snapchat.
                              What's in the bag?
                              TM M2
                              Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
                              PING Sigma G Putter
                              Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

Originally posted by Giller31 View Post

Instagram stories. It allows someone with an Instagram account (or IG) to post a video or static image that is only visible for 24 hours (if memory serves me correctly). It's a little like Snapchat.
                                Now I get it. Although I don't know what Snap Chat is either...lol
                                Thanks

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 166,774   Posts: 1,747,362   Members: 46,018   Active Members: 266
                                Welcome to our newest member, CMo22.

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X