Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chunk wedge shots...help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chunk wedge shots...help

So, here's the tale off of the tape, i can drive the ball 280-300 years, leave my self with a short chip/pitch shot into the green, and guess what... chunk town... a divot the size of a porter house, with the ball travelling no where.

Any drills, advice, tips to help with this?

Without a video hard to know why. Could be a million issues.

usually has to do with a too big swing and a major deceleration
    Driver------TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X 45.25"
    3W---------TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
    5W---------TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
    3i-----------TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
    Irons-------Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
    Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
    Putter------TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR

Comment

Originally posted by luvtapar88 View Post
      So, here's the tale off of the tape, i can drive the ball 280-300 years, leave my self with a short chip/pitch shot into the green, and guess what... chunk town... a divot the size of a porter house, with the ball travelling no where.

check your ball position . chances are you are playing it too forward in your stance.

place the ball opposite your sternum.

Larry cheung has a vid for this that easy to emulate.
      use the bounce and brush the grass with a shallow AoA.
      Last edited by bl8d; May 15, 2019, 03:04 PM.
      Things change.

Ping i25, PWR75 s
      Ping i25 3w Accra Tour Z LS M4
      Ping i25 5w PWR75s
      Ping ISI 3-pw Z-z65
      Ping ISI W2, W3
      Cal i-Trax

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
        Without a video hard to know why. Could be a million issues.

usually has to do with a too big swing and a major deceleration
        and it's often in ones head at that point. I've really tried to shorten my backswing and make it shallower on chips, you really need very little for around the green. Another thing I do is to toe down the club as well which I find helps prevent chunking it. Thirdly I take the body out of it, shoulders only, similar to putting. I'm no pro though, I can still chunk them with the best.
        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Move back a deck
          Rogue SZ w/ Tour AD GP
          M1 w/ Diamana Thump
          GAPR
          Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
          Vokey 46į 50į 54į
          Hi-Toe 58į
          Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF5G24FFAP0

Comment

its a good technique but only works if ur chipping from the fringe or fairway with green to work with. Will not work out of thick rough or a shorter chip.
              Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post

its a good technique but only works if ur chipping from the fringe or fairway with green to work with. Will not work out of thick rough or a shorter chip.
                Iíve seen approach used in the past, but my problem is more of a 20-40 yard chip I need to get up in the air, not really a bump and run approach

Comment

Then almost forsure youre taking to big a swing and decelerating would be my guess without seeing your swing.

Try practicing this....take your backswing for your chip and pause at top of bs count to 3 then chip.

Comment

Take the wrists out of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NYjM5UkxZQ

Comment

Originally posted by luvtapar88 View Post
                      On the back nine this afternoon, my chipping game absolutely left me. Everything was chunky, and three chips rolled back almost to my feet.

I went to the chipping green after the round and worked on some fundamentals that I've been trying lately but didn't use very well today.

The first thing I realized was that I was not gripping down enough which caused me to deloft the club at address.

The second thing I realized was I had the ball too far back in my stance.

The third thing I realized was that I was not maintaining my angle in my right (trailing) wrist.

Once I corrected these things, I was making consistent crisp contact and could put the ball just about anywhere I wanted it to go.

The last thing I realized was that I should have gone to the chipping green BEFORE the round....
                      Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Most probably multiple issues. Especially if your heavy shots vary in degree of severity. I've become an expert on this topic out of necessity as I did almost everything wrong to promote hitting before the ball with my irons. Below is a short summary of some of the most significant causes for me and what I used to help fix them.

Lack of weight shift ---- drill promoting forward weight shift
                        Casting club ---- drill for lag - even on short wedge shots helps a lot!!!
                        Sliding during backswing and downswing ---- drill focusing on rotation rather than sliding
                        Too steep on downswing ---- same drill focusing on rotation (hips/shoulders) helps promote flattening of the swing
                        Dipping with the knees ---- a bad habit that can be tough to break. Improved weight shift helps with this as well
                        Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

One thing that hasn't been mentioned above is dipping the back shoulder causing chunks... When I worked a little too long on my driver, I would sometimes begin to chunk as too much reverse tilt to begin with or adding a bit on my downswing got me chunking.

Easy 2-step cure:
                          1. When setting up I would bump my weight left and then bend over, removing any reverse tilt and making the club naturally bottom out just beyond the ball.
                          2. Pay attention to height of right should remaining stable. If right shoulder dips, lowpoint dips too so keeping it at same level is key to keep your swing arc consistent.

Could be a bunch of other things obviously but hopefully this preshot setup and maintaining right shoulder height will help you like they did me.

Comment

The short game is what is really holding me back this year. Iíve been chunking everything from 3yds to 80yds. No confidence at all right now. And even in Iím making decent contact the ball is coming up short. Iím using my 54* wedge. Also all my wedges are high bounce. I might try the right foot back drill for chips to stay more centred. I donít think Iím coming in steep as I feel Iím using the LCheung set-up.

Comment

Obviously there could be many things going wrong, but....

When I run into problems with wedge shots, I find that moving the ball back a bit in the stance, and moving my weight to my left side at setup improves things immediately. Then there's just all the other stuff to worry about.
                              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 171,003   Posts: 1,786,782   Members: 46,698   Active Members: 352
                              Welcome to our newest member, Danbarker1055.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X