How do you get out of a rut?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get out of a rut?

Sup Nuts,

I seem to have gotten myself into a bit of a mental rut (usually happens once a year). Played the best golf of my life the first ~15 rounds this season. Last game I was shanking my wedges, mis-hitting my irons. The only thing that kept me sane were my drives and putting.

My question - How do you get yourself out of a rut? What do you do to take a step back and get yourself back into the groove?

Thanks!
    Home Course: Eagle Ridge (Clublink Gold Member)

Driver: Nike Vapor Speed 10.5 Fubuki Z50 Stiff
    3-Wood: Callaway GBB Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 50g
    Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 3 Rescue
    Irons: Taylormade Speedblade (4-pw)
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 VM-G 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold
    Putter: Odyssey WHP #1

I feel your pain, every year I go through a similar rut. I can be striping everything and hitting everything high and far, then all of sudden so i can't even square up a club face. ALSO i seem to go through a rut every year where i lose a ton of distance on all of my clubs, then all of a sudden it comes back.

As weird as it sounds, i find i always get my game back when i play a relaxed round with 3 close friends where we have a few too many drinks and not worry at all about the round of golf and more about just enjoying being outside. I give my swing 0 thought and don't care at all what i score and for some reason that helps me clear my mind for future rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sh00t3rMcGav1n View Post
      Sup Nuts,

I seem to have gotten myself into a bit of a mental rut (usually happens once a year). Played the best golf of my life the first ~15 rounds this season. Last game I was shanking my wedges, mis-hitting my irons. The only thing that kept me sane were my drives and putting.

My question - How do you get yourself out of a rut? What do you do to take a step back and get yourself back into the groove?

Thanks!
      I'm not sure that one game (i.e. your last round) is a 'rut'. Everyone has off days occasionally.

Next round, set the bar fairly low regarding expectations. Play conservatively, and make sure that you hit some balls before the round using easy shots.

Comment

For me its all about tempo and rhythm. If the lower body is moving faster than the upper or vise versa my swing is a mess.

What I have been doing recently is what Shawn Clements recommends and what Jordan Spieth does - take a series of 9 to 3 oclock swings back and fourth having the head brush the ground through the hitting area. Finally when I hit the ball, I only swing at 60%. I try and feel as connected as possible having my core drive my arms.

Hope this helps....

Comment

I'm kinda in a swing rut at the moment. Body feels disconnected and I'm hitting everything off the toe. Gonna take a step back look at everything from setup to tempo of my swing and see if that works. Maybe spend some time on the range soon vs playing a round.
          Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X
          3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X
          3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX
          Irons: 4-6 PXG 0311P 7-W 0317CB | DG120X
          Wedges: Vokey SM9 50.8F|54.10S|58.8M
          Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K
          TP5X 2024
          Ghost Katana

Comment

Take a few weeks off , you playing 15 rounds already makes me think you play a lot of golf .
            taking some time off wouldn’t hurt and gives you a reset .
            When I goto the range too much it seems to hinder my more than it helps

Comment

I often get into a mid summer rut. I find that not touching the clubs for a week or two resets everything. When I come back after such a layoff, I'm back to playing very well from the get-go.
              🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
              Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
              Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
              Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
              Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
              Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
              Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

I’ve been told that every once in a while, it helps to play a round without keeping score. Apparently it helps relax and reset your mind for the next round. I haven’t tried it yet but I will this season for sure.

Comment

Like I tell my shooters in basketball, if you have a bad day, forget about it. Shooters gotta shoot. If the problem persists, come see me and we can iron something out.
                  The golf version would be, if you suck for a day that is standard golf being golf; forget about it. If you suck for a few days straight and a solo range session did nothing for you, go see a pro or good player with a trained eye and get some help steering you back on track.

Personally, I had an awful first round of the year and was hitting the ball off the chrome of the toe repeatedly. I let it go and didnt rush to change my swing. All I did was perform some of the drills that I recommend others do to build up their stroke (threw clubs and did perpetual motion drill chopping down dandilions) and my next round I was shocked to find my striking even with my late season form, shooting +1 on my only solo 9 holes after 27 holes in a scramble which I also played lights out in.

One quick fix I try in-round if things are going off a bit is Jack Nicklausè advice to feel the clubhead throughout the entire swing...this pretty much forces proper grip pressure and tempo and cures a lot of timing issues.

Comment

I hit 7/8 iron untill it comes back,works for me

Comment

I'd suggest a fun round with some buddies with a couple of beers. Play a fun game to take the focus off scoring. There are different versions but I like the ones where every time you win a hole, you get to take a club out of your opponent's bag. Or maybe just play a round with 3 or 4 clubs of your choice. It will force you to try and make different shots with different clubs, instead of standing over the same of club/distance scenarios.
                      We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                      Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                      Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                      Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                      Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                      Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                      Srixon Star XV
                      Ogio Grom bag

Comment

I usually get away from the game completely for a week or two. No driving range, watching golf instruction on youtube, and playing. Then I come back with a fresh mind and clear thoughts.

I find when I'm in a rut I have a zillion things running through my head - grip, posture, stance, takeaway, transition, keep the head down, stay in posture, don't duff it, I just need a par here to score 45 on this front 9 etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post
                          I'd suggest a fun round with some buddies with a couple of beers. Play a fun game to take the focus off scoring. There are different versions but I like the ones where every time you win a hole, you get to take a club out of your opponent's bag. Or maybe just play a round with 3 or 4 clubs of your choice. It will force you to try and make different shots with different clubs, instead of standing over the same of club/distance scenarios.
                          Funny I'm in a rut and we played our annual three clubs plus putter today. I still sucked. Hit it well in general but every time I miss it cost me strokes. Short game abysmal. Crumbs. Maybe should have gotten into the booze.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

Funny I'm in a rut and we played our annual three clubs plus putter today. I still sucked. Hit it well in general but every time I miss it cost me strokes. Short game abysmal. Crumbs. Maybe should have gotten into the booze.
                            I should have emphasized the booze part. It's definitely the key. Don't drink and drive.
                            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                            Srixon Star XV
                            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Thanks!
                              Sometimes it's as simple as taking a 2 week or longer break away from golf.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X