Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best thing I learned was to keep my lower body moving instead of being static/still. It doesn't take much knee movement to allow your body to turn rather than rock and this is what I needed.

Comment

Originally posted by danstanford View Post
      The best thing I learned was to keep my lower body moving instead of being static/still. It doesn't take much knee movement to allow your body to turn rather than rock and this is what I needed.
      I have to agree with your assessment.
      In my own case keeping my right knee soft and flowing through the chip shot made the shot so much smoother, and the results that much better.
      Things change.

Cobra Fly Z+ ProjectX Handcrafted 50LZ
      Cal Steelhead 3,5 RCH99firm
      Cleve Halo 19*hybrid s300
      Cleve TA3 4-Pw TTX100
      Cleve 53,57 s300
      Cal Tuttle

Comment

FWIW, I discovered something while hitting chips/pitches before my round this morning.

I was hitting shots from the driving range to a small 'pitching green'. My target was 40 yards away.

I noticed that if I intentionally made a slight 'lifting' motion on the backswing that my impact was always crisp and put a lot of spin on the ball. This discovery was contrary to my usual 'static arms' approach which quite often resulted in skulled shots or chunks.

This technique was working well with my 52/56/64 wedges, and it worked well out on the course.
        Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
          FWIW, I discovered something while hitting chips/pitches before my round this morning.

I was hitting shots from the driving range to a small 'pitching green'. My target was 40 yards away.

I noticed that if I intentionally made a slight 'lifting' motion on the backswing that my impact was always crisp and put a lot of spin on the ball. This discovery was contrary to my usual 'static arms' approach which quite often resulted in skulled shots or chunks.

This technique was working well with my 52/56/64 wedges, and it worked well out on the course.
          If by lift you mean an early cocking of the wrists,I think pros do this for that shot...what about a slight press to start?

Comment

Originally posted by seetrout699 View Post
            Thank you everyone for their assistance. I have now decided that there is sufficient help on the internet and UTube that I should be able to determine what works best for me. I think most of it is based on finding a way to keep my wrists out of it and use a stroke similar to a putting stroke. Sounds so simple but I find it very difficult and always have.
            There is a lot of conflicting information out there on chipping technique. Everything from which club to use, where to position the ball, and whether to have an arms only motion or a wrist break.

One common theme is that a chip is like a putting stroke. Well, in certain cases yes. For shorter chips, like just off the green, a stroke similar to a putt is appropriate. Everything emanates from the shoulders, as in a putt. No wrist break or body turn of any kind. I use this a lot when I chip with an 8i, when the grass length or distance from the green prevents the use of a putter.

However, for longer chips, the more common approach involves a slight break in the wrists with the backswing and the follow-through involves a turn of the body.

Here is Phil demonstrating his Hinge and Hold technique. While some see this as an "old" technique I think there is considerable merit.

Three tings to note....wrist hinge on the backswing....slight turn of the body through the swing....the butt of the club points back at the body at the end of the swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtxWtCUs-rs

This chipping technique is NOT a putting stroke.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post

ARL67 tipped me off to your posting. Seems really solid. Heading to the course a little early tomorrow morning to give it a try. Thanks.
              Np. Always glad to share what helped me get to another level on the off chance it works for someone else.
              How did it go?

Comment

Originally posted by SmoothBomber View Post

Np. Always glad to share what helped me get to another level on the off chance it works for someone else.
                How did it go?
                Tried it for a couple of rounds. I like the weight-forward idea but I'm not getting it right yet. Heading to course today and tomorrow (I'm a weekday member and practice on the weekends) for some intensive chipping practice.
                WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post

Tried it for a couple of rounds. I like the weight-forward idea but I'm not getting it right yet. Heading to course today and tomorrow (I'm a weekday member and practice on the weekends) for some intensive chipping practice.
                  Can feel a little weird at first. I used to have that reverse tilt so putting weight on left side before bending over got me feeling like my right shoulder was way high. Had to learn to trust that leaving the shoulder that high will still allow the club to get down to the ball.
                  best of luck man

Comment

Originally posted by SmoothBomber View Post

Can feel a little weird at first. I used to have that reverse tilt so putting weight on left side before bending over got me feeling like my right shoulder was way high. Had to learn to trust that leaving the shoulder that high will still allow the club to get down to the ball.
                    best of luck man
                    Thanks. I find it's definitely something where I need to get my reps in.
                    WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

I want a putting motion for a chip.So I place the the ball back in my stance,hands ahead of the club head,then I completely re-grip(both hands)with club head on the ground....then use the putting motion.I only bring the club back at max. to the 9 o'clock position.

Comment

Originally posted by Par90 View Post
                        I want a putting motion for a chip.So I place the the ball back in my stance,hands ahead of the club head,then I completely re-grip(both hands)with club head on the ground....then use the putting motion.I only bring the club back at max. to the 9 o'clock position.
                        Thanks again everyone . This sums it up pretty well for me.

I have long realized that for short chips that I want a putting motion- the problem that most of the time I have not been able to execute this, simple as it sounds. I often just snap the wrists thereby either skulling the shot or chunking it. I high 80's shooter like myself hits very few greens and often has to play a short chip shot from within 10 yards of the green as 13 or 14x a round.

For starters I have a totally unambitious goal of just getting all of these on the green which believe it or not will save me shots. I can be an excellent putter so just that alone will mean that I probably get up and down a few times a round.

I have found something really simple that seems to be helping a lot.

google- 3 quick tips to fix your chipping on rotaryswing.com [ would someone post the link to get there directly- thanks]. The two first tips on grip pressure have helped me immensely .

Comment

If you find that you are often short of the green I suggest you bag a dedicated chipper club. They come in a myriad of head configuration and loft, but generally are single sided with the loft of about 35 degrees. I suggest you put the same putter grip on it that you use on your putter,( long putters excluded) of course.
                          Paul Runnyan's little poison stroke could be the answer for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knkBVvTf3nQ

Things change.

Cobra Fly Z+ ProjectX Handcrafted 50LZ
                          Cal Steelhead 3,5 RCH99firm
                          Cleve Halo 19*hybrid s300
                          Cleve TA3 4-Pw TTX100
                          Cleve 53,57 s300
                          Cal Tuttle

Comment

I play right handed but putt left. I have never considered changing to putt right handed - and I now have a collection of left handed putters.

Even when chipping near the green with a decidedly putting style stroke, I chip right handed. Same stroke, different handed club.

Even when I use an eight iron, just to lift the ball off the fringe and land it to roll on the green, where I could easily have used my left handed putter, I play right handed. Tried a left handed eight, but didn't like it.

The only time all this comes in handy is when I have an awkward lie near a green side bunker, where to avoid having to stand in the bunker for the shot I might be able to use either a left handed putter or a right handed club, to play the stroke from the opposite side.

Would be interested to hear from other opposite side putters about their putter stroke style chipping habits.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Spent an very fruitful hour with SlaytheDragon (aka Matt Kane) this week working on basics and toward the end he wanted to see how badly I chipped (which I’d indicated was pretty bad)

I have a somewhat common “ball on the back heal, big forward shaft lean with a 60 all the time” method which is servicable at times but overall not super useful.

He put me onto a couple video’s from Paul Azinger which I’ve linked below and showed me the technique in person. So far, I’m 1 for 1 at 20 feet with this method so it must be solid!

In short, heals together or close to it, feet flared a bit out and club(s) very much upright at impact. I used a simple putting stroke while Azinger has a bit more wrist hinge but probably all useful depending on distance. Matt suggested you can groove one swing and simply swap out clubs to vary your distances and with loft, you can swing with a good bit of speed without hitting the ball very far which allows you to get some decent spin on. Have yet to go put my paces in practise wise, but seems a very solid approach to me and should work from tight to deep lies.

https://youtu.be/kgIKacZqoMI

https://youtu.be/Gd7kRjdvVAU

Cheers and thanks Matt!

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by petvan View Post
                                Spent an very fruitful hour with SlaytheDragon (aka Matt Kane) this week working on basics and toward the end he wanted to see how badly I chipped (which I’d indicated was pretty bad)

I have a somewhat common “ball on the back heal, big forward shaft lean with a 60 all the time” method which is servicable at times but overall not super useful.

He put me onto a couple video’s from Paul Azinger which I’ve linked below and showed me the technique in person. So far, I’m 1 for 1 at 20 feet with this method so it must be solid!

In short, heals together or close to it, feet flared a bit out and club(s) very much upright at impact. I used a simple putting stroke while Azinger has a bit more wrist hinge but probably all useful depending on distance. Matt suggested you can groove one swing and simply swap out clubs to vary your distances and with loft, you can swing with a good bit of speed without hitting the ball very far which allows you to get some decent spin on. Have yet to go put my paces in practise wise, but seems a very solid approach to me and should work from tight to deep lies.

https://youtu.be/kgIKacZqoMI

https://youtu.be/Gd7kRjdvVAU

Cheers and thanks Matt!

Pete

Quite interesting, but I think Azinger blurs the line between a chip and a pitch. Not only does he have quite a bit of wrist hinge, but he rotates his body. To me, that departs from being a chip, as in a putter stroke motion, and is more of a pitch.

I am not saying one is right or wrong, I just find the lack of consistent definition or distinction between chipping and pitching confuses the discussion.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 174,268   Posts: 1,823,975   Members: 47,226   Active Members: 205
                                Welcome to our newest member, Jparsons16.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X