Collapse

Chipping

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
    I also watched many videos and suffered inconsistent chipping. Late in the year I committed to Leadbetter's no wrist method and it helped quite a bit.
    Haven't watched DL in a few years but the no wrist sounds a lot like what Larry taught me and what Danny Maude also endorses ( for ams).

The only drawback to no wrist hinge is that clubhead speed can be reduced through the ball and that reduces height and spin. Using a higher loft for Pitches will help but , as I have found if you are short sided and need to go over a bunker or raise the ball quickly and stop it quickly ....the no wrist, no hinge method makes it tougher to elevate and create spin....
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Haven't watched DL in a few years but the no wrist sounds a lot like what Larry taught me and what Danny Maude also endorses ( for ams).

The only drawback to no wrist hinge is that clubhead speed can be reduced through the ball and that reduces height and spin. Using a higher loft for Pitches will help but , as I have found if you are short sided and need to go over a bunker or raise the ball quickly and stop it quickly ....the no wrist, no hinge method makes it tougher to elevate and create spin....
      I've used Larry's stuff re same length and tempo back and through. When my wrists creep in bad things happen.

Comment

Cocking and hinging??....I believe you allow the wrists to do both on the way back but don't allow them to unhinge (trail wrist cupped) on the way down.
        Last edited by par345; Nov 16, 2019, 07:42 AM.

Comment

If I’m close enough. I use Floyd? Technique to putt with lofted club method. I read the green from the side angle. Tap the club on the ground and Top of the shaft or butt end to focus on and bump and roll the ball to the hole. If the green is more undulated or if the ball is above the level of the hole I rather flop or chip differently

Comment

I bought an Orange Whip wedge and it really helped. If you practice with it you will be driven to good habits and deviations are immediately seen. I have a left handed one for sale since I bought it stupidly not thinking about the hand. Then bought a right handed one I won't part with.

Comment

I've started to use the bounce near end of last year and the chipping was much better.
              Danny Maude has some solid chipping advice.
              Chipping around the green, are you using the old method or the new. This golf video focuses on the short chip shots around the green. You know the little s...
              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                I've started to use the bounce near end of last year and the chipping was much better.
                Danny Maude has some solid chipping advice.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4BKJBWz1_M
                Great video. It's a technique I like. But there is so much conflicting information out there.

For example.....

Dave Pelz advocates exactly the opposite of Maude, e.g. putting the ball back in the stance – even behind the feet and forward lean to de-loft the club.

Todd Kolb advocates the same as Maude. His video also demonstrates the flaws with setting the ball back in the stance and de-lofting the club - as in the Pelz method.
                These 3 common chipping golf mistakes can plague any golfer, especially when it comes to the amateur golfer. From leaning the club forward too far, playing ...

Then there is Phil Nickleson’s Hinge and Hold, demonstrated by Marty Hall. This might be the same as Maude - Marty calls for the ball being centred, or slightly behind centre - no shaft lean and leave the wrists cocked (unhinged) in the Hinge positioning in the follow through.
                https://www.golfchannel.com/video/ho...phil-mickelson

But Phil also has this, which he does not call anything but says it is the only way to chip - weight on front foot, ball positioned back if going low, front if going high....but never ever centred centred and...always with forward shaft lean.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

So here is a sample where people contradict one another and some contradict themselves on different ocasions.

Personally, I am with Maude and buy into the arguments Kolb makes as to why the ball back position and forward shaft lean is problematic for most.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Sorry, just saw this.....

I will preface by saying that Larry ( at least with me at my age and at my request) doesn't try to completely rebuild things but offer tips and small adjustments.

My chipping game was ok but my pitching game ( and greenside bunker play) was weak. So for me he implemented the following changes for pitching:
                  1. Ball more centred in stance ( can move up or back very slightly to change trajectory)
                  2. Clubface more neutral to even slightly open to more effectively use bounce
                  3. Stand a bit more upright and closer to the ball to allow club path to go back straighter versus around - this permitted me to have a straight back, straight through attack
                  4. Very slightly open stance and feet maybe 8 -12 inches apart.
                  5. Most importantly for me was to eliminate wrist hinge which was probably the biggest help.
                  6. Stick to one club ( my 56*) in 90% of situations
                  7. Smooth out tempo and slow down
                  A series of vids that offer a similar approach are offered by Peter Cowan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJ5...npXE8&index=17

Comment

5. Most importantly for me was to eliminate wrist hinge which was probably the biggest help.
                    yep...years ago on the golf channel someone said...let the wrist hinge but not unhinge on the way down

Short game ace Phil Mickelson shows you how to perform the hinge and hold chip shot. Visit http://www.cmp.callawaygolf.com for more tips.____________________...
                    Last edited by par345; Feb 24, 2020, 07:15 AM.

Comment

I have always been hands forward type chipper and learning to work engaging the bounce for chipping and feels really weird at first Like I was going to chunk every shot , getting the feel of this summer Its help me get the feel of greenside bunker shots and develop a "touch" shot with the toe bounce off a tight lie to a uphill pin placement

Comment

I watched this Kevin Kisner video a few weeks back and it's helped me a lot since bringing it onto the course - including not one but two chip in birdies this morning.

Frankie, otherwise known as "Frankie Butter Knives" has a terrible case of the skulls when it comes to chipping and Kevin Kisner helps fix his game.Follow Fo...

Comment

It's been over a year since this thread was created. Would be nice to hear how OP is doing one his chipping and what he's worked on and did.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has touched on grind and bounce yet. I notice golfers using the same wedge off a tight light vs one sitting up in deep rough. Sure you can modify your angle of attack, change ball position to add or remove bounce but that also impacts how the ball will fly and the spin rate. I prefer to use the same swing and just change the club based on conditions and how I want the ball to fly.

Comment

Padraig Harrington Chipping tips vid below.

Some interesting stuff that I don't recall other instructors telling me.

Practice with the ball way forward and try and hit it low to encourage weight forward.

Bounce...the most overused word when it comes to chipping. Bounce will/could save you but do not practice and do not try and use bounce. This one is controversial IMO...but I think practicing not to is likely better.

The art of chipping is one that requires patience and practice. There are a number of reasons why golfers struggle when chipping, but it's often the result o...

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                                I'm surprised no one has touched on grind and bounce yet. I notice golfers using the same wedge off a tight light vs one sitting up in deep rough. Sure you can modify your angle of attack, change ball position to add or remove bounce but that also impacts how the ball will fly and the spin rate. I prefer to use the same swing and just change the club based on conditions and how I want the ball to fly.
                                most common SW bounce on Tour is 12* because the fairways are so tightly mowed, and from there the sole grind is what make it versatile.

for the weekender 14* is probably a better choice, and with a full sole grind to plow, er slide through the deep rough
                                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X