Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is The "Secret" To Getting Good At Golf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is The "Secret" To Getting Good At Golf?

I think a lot of golfers would benefit from this post, which is why I want to share it. Please let me know what you think, I want to improve my writing and create more interesting topics for you guys.

https://jasoncoull.home.blog/2019/06...-good-at-golf/

Incredible natural athletic ability, stubborn determination, mental focus and a metric f-ton of money.

Comment

had Picasso stuck with his early style, he would have become "one of many".

Furyk ,Trevino, Nicklaus, were just a few that dared to depart from doctrine.
      Maybe the message is a simple, "play what you are".
      Things change.

Cobra Fly Z+ ProjectX Handcrafted 50LZ
      Cal Steelhead 3,5 RCH99firm
      Cleve Halo 19*hybrid s300
      Cleve TA3 4-Pw TTX100
      Cleve 53,57 s300
      Cal Tuttle

Comment

Word of caution on slow-motion drills...

While moving through the correct positions very slowly (like seriously extremely mind-numbingly slow) is vital to a process called myelination which makes motor pathways more efficient as well as more permanent, it can definitely be done the wrong way and lead to unwanted results.

The problem comes from training effects as though they are causes. In other words, a lot of the positions in the swing just happen as a result of reactions to a weight (clubhead) in motion and the particular look will be determined by your relation to that weight (stance and esp. grip)...you don't actually perform the positions, they happen. By going really slow you can mimic what is going on in terms of forces like Stenson in his super slow-motion drills where he tries to feel like he is pushing a beachball underwater the whole way around, essentially engaging his extensors as he would during his swing and letting the resulting positions take care of themselves as he performs his slowmo body pivot (this would be the right way) OR you can do what most ppl do and that is put their body into prescribed static positions and use a bunch of muscles that aren't active in their swing in order to do that (def the wrong way and likely counter productive as this essentially myelinates a different motor pathway than would be active during an actual swing).

So ye, there are definite advantages to slow motion practice, especially when stripping down a grooved technique and trying to build a new motor program for the body to follow, but you definitely have to make sure you are paying attention to how you get into these positions and not just the postions themselves.

The other downside of slowmo practice is that in many cases it isn't necessary at all and just wastes time. For example, if a guy is changing his 'move' he will benefit from slowmo practice for sure, but if his swing is essentially powered by the same move that sends the dominoes of his swing toppling but merely want to direct it differently (i.e. swing path...and this doesn't necessarily apply to your 'pathing' practice but it might), all that needs to be adjusted is an intention or a preset in the setup and then the firing sequence is allowed to go off as it always has. The difference is that you have placed different physical restrictions on that firing sequence altering the look and result but NOT how the neurons fire and therefore there is no need or benefit from slowmo practice which is essentially neural pathway construction.

edit: I go fairly deep into the topic of learning swings in this thread: https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/foru...he-swing/page2
        There are a lot of little tidbits on motor learning in there from my studies and years coaching.
        post #20 is particularly closely related to slowmo training. In it I break down two vids teaching the same move in two completely different approaches to motor learning. I point out in my analysis how the slowmo guy (still a fantastic vid mind you) totally messed up and had his student continue to do slowmo drill and try to build up a motor pathway that the student clearly demonstrated is already there. The coach in the other vid is all about taking things you already do and applying them to the golf swing...again no need for any slowmo bc the pathways are already myelinated, just being applied in a different context.
        Last edited by SmoothBomber; Jun 22, 2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmoothBomber View Post
          Word of caution on slow-motion drills...
          The golf swing is NOT a sequence of 'positions'. It is a flowing movement.

The golf swing does not lend itself to thinking while doing. I have often compared the golf swing to tying a shoelace; if you thought about it and/or tried to do it slowly, you couldn't do it.
          Sage of the GTA...

Comment

There is a difference between getting good at golf and learning how to hit a golf ball.The vast majority of golfers don't know how to hit a golf ball.Success in knowing how is measured by being able to repeat the strike.

Comment

Originally posted by par345 View Post
              There is a difference between getting good at golf and learning how to hit a golf ball.
              Agreed.

It's the same in hockey. Knowing how to skate well doesn't mean that you're a good hockey player.
              Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

The golf swing is NOT a sequence of 'positions'. It is a flowing movement.

The golf swing does not lend itself to thinking while doing. I have often compared the golf swing to tying a shoelace; if you thought about it and/or tried to do it slowly, you couldn't do it.
                I agree 100%

It is exactly like throwing a ball or swinging a baseball bat. Your body naturally reacts to this motion - using the ground, turning the hips, weight shift. You do without even thinking about it. Yet with the golf swing we are overthinking every bit of the swing and when we purposely try and shift our weight or turn our hips etc we get all out of our natural flow....

Comment

The golf "swing" is not a good indicator of good golf.My neighbor has a great swing but contact is something else.
                  Last edited by par345; Jun 23, 2019, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Diece View Post
                    I think a lot of golfers would benefit from this post, which is why I want to share it. Please let me know what you think, I want to improve my writing and create more interesting topics for you guys.

https://jasoncoull.home.blog/2019/06...-good-at-golf/
                    I agree with your general premise. Find out what your weaknesses are and work on them. Which part of your game is holding you back? What are the skill sets within that part of your game that you lack. Work on those.
                    Break it down, and then build it up.

On another note, you mentioned how you practiced and then went to the course and you did not see an improvement. I have personally experienced this phenomenon. Don't get discouraged. Sometimes you spend time on a part of your game and you don't see immediate rewards. Keep at it. Suddenly, it will start to kick in. This is true for learning anything - music, language etc.
                    I know this from learning musical instruments. You will spend hours doing certain exercises and not see immediate results. Then suddenly you wake up some morning and the brain has learnt and incorporated that skill! Golf is no different.

Anyone who noticed Tiger struggling with his chipping when he was making a comeback would realize that one of the great chippers in the world was suddenly struggling. It was not from lack of athletic ability but with time, effort, focus he gained confidence again.I am sure during that process he was finding he could do it at home but not in a competitive environment. It takes time and reps.

Good luck with your game,

Comment

Originally posted by par345 View Post
                      The golf "swing" is not a good indicator of good golf.My neighbor has a great swing but contact is something else.
                      Couldnt agree more. Lowpoint control comes last so your neighbour may be really close to good golf...or at least a good full swing game. A friend of mine also has a really good swing and struggled with occasional fats and thins. Something clicked for him and he is consistently bottoming out beyond the ball and he shot half his handicap last time out at 7over. Always told him once he gets the lowpoint control down he will be in low-mid single digits. He wasnt even putting all that well on the day. At this rate he might be spotting me strokes by the time we get to our season end trny

Comment

God given talent. No matter how much time you put into a sport,doesnít mean anything if you donít have the talent.A great example is Michael Jordan, who is as good an athlete as possible and tried for years through practice and whatever and couldnít even become a scratch player and you have the most unatheletic person in Craig Stadler who was a great golfer. Guys can throw a baseball at 100 mph and no matter how much you train and practice itís hard or nearly impossible to throw that fast. If you donít have the natural aptitude for golf,no matter how time you dedicate to the game you can only get so far.Jmho

Comment

An eraser at the end of your pencil!

Comment

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post

An eraser at the end of your pencil!
                            That's how scrambles are won for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post

That's how scrambles are won for sure.
                              Especially for the Most Honest Golfer award, oh wait no eraser needed.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 175,090   Posts: 1,832,658   Members: 47,363   Active Members: 275
                              Welcome to our newest member, Bobier21Golf.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X