Hopefully the fix begins tomorrow

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
    I feel your pain.
    I've lost the enthusiasm to play because my game has gone into the tank .
    Similar problem here. Took advice that many of you are giving - got some lessons from a well regarded teacher on this forum. He was great but to be honest, it hasn't helped my scoring one bit. I was maybe 10% hitting fairways off the tee before, and now maybe 20%. My 2nd shots are improved about the same amount. Winds up being about the same amount of GIR per round - and you can still count it on the fingers of one hand. :-(

I'm probably practicing as much as I ever have - and it feels like I'm making progress. Then the weekend comes and I go out and shoot 110.

Comment

Originally posted by emvee View Post

Similar problem here. Took advice that many of you are giving - got some lessons from a well regarded teacher on this forum. He was great but to be honest, it hasn't helped my scoring one bit. I was maybe 10% hitting fairways off the tee before, and now maybe 20%. My 2nd shots are improved about the same amount. Winds up being about the same amount of GIR per round - and you can still count it on the fingers of one hand. :-(

I'm probably practicing as much as I ever have - and it feels like I'm making progress. Then the weekend comes and I go out and shoot 110.

Probably need to get out of your own head then at this point. If your range game feels spot on but the course is iffy then either you are a) practicing incorrectly as it shouldn't ever feel good until it is so ingrained it is second nature or b) you are overthinking too much on the course and applying too much pressure to yourself.

Obviously B is easier to fix than A. So go out, have a fun round where you don't keep score, maybe (if the course isn't rammed) try that shot over again that didn't pan out as well as you had hoped. I did the same yesterday evening and found I had about 5 legit birdie chances over 13 holes. Of course all of them were pars or I would have a post about my best round ever. I was 6 over through 13, not horrible considering I hadn't touched a club since mid-May! I was pretty happy and I think I'm going to use that philosophy every time I go out.

Comment

I always felt amazing on the range because my bad shots don't meant anything, taking that mentality to the course can help.

Comment

Originally posted by davepratt View Post
          I have been so disappointed in the way my game has gone downhill in the last year, I haven't played at all this year.
          ...wait, what.....and yet you're on TGN!?

Get out there and work it out!

I played like crap at the beginning of this season, but in the last 2 weeks, the confidence and better scoring have returned. Season best score tonight after work!

60 rounds played so far.

Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

I used to practice like a maniac but like you range session never translated over for years. My scoring improved when I spent less time on the range and played more rounds per week.

Also dedicate more time around the greens, chipping, and putting. If your short game is decent and you're not OB you should be able to shoot 80-90s day in day out.

Originally posted by emvee View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post

60 rounds played so far.
              Wow. Very impressive Shooter.

Comment

Season best score tonight after work!

60 rounds played so far.
                What was your score / course ?

Comment

Originally posted by mstram View Post

What was your score / course ?
                  39 + 43 = 82 at Lakeview (17.2 handicap down to 16 now!)

Comment

39 + 43 = 82 at Lakeview (17.2 handicap down to 16 now!)
                    Thats the second round at Lakeview i hear about this week and they both 82.... one from a guy not playing in years and the other from a supposed 17 capper. Pressure is on to shoot 82 or better when I get out there this summer.
                    You sure you arent just a reverse vanity capper? Beating your HCP by 7 is super rare; like 1000:1 ish.

Comment

Originally posted by SmoothBomber View Post

Thats the second round at Lakeview i hear about this week and they both 82.... one from a guy not playing in years and the other from a supposed 17 capper. Pressure is on to shoot 82 or better when I get out there this summer.
                      You sure you arent just a reverse vanity capper? Beating your HCP by 7 is super rare; like 1000:1 ish.
                      I fixed a few things in my game, and (hopefully) scoring will be better/consistent - want/need to get below 15 cap

Comment

Lakeview rating / slope is 68.6 / 119 from the White tees. An 82 would be 12.7 differential from the Whites.

+3 on front nine, +8 on back nine. Sounds like a few good holes/swings/breaks to me - accusations of sandbagging are offside imo.

Comment

Originally posted by smc66 View Post

Lakeview rating / slope is 68.6 / 119 from the White tees. An 82 would be 12.7 differential from the Whites.

+3 on front nine, +8 on back nine. Sounds like a few good holes/swings/breaks to me - accusations of sandbagging are offside imo.
                          it was tongue in cheek.

Comment

I fixed a few things in my game, and (hopefully) scoring will be better/consistent - want/need to get below 15 cap
                            I think going below 15 is guaranteed if you putting up 10 over at lakeview. I remember shooting 15 over with previous best at 18 over and wanting my hcp to get below 15...by the time it did get to 14, I was posting 10s and 11s. Stay on your heater and you will be sub 15 within a month at your rate of rounds per week. ...Just hope heater lasts bc I went on a crazy run sept-nov last year shooting a bunch of low-mid 70s and sitting on a 4.6 hcp despite my 2 rounds this year being +18, +10, and 2 9s of +7 and +1. Literally have no chance in a handicapped match plus would have to deal with all the accusations of being a vanity capper.

Comment

I think going below 15 is guaranteed if you putting up 10 over at lakeview. I remember shooting 15 over with previous best at 18 over and wanting my hcp to get below 15...by the time it did get to 14, I was posting 10s and 11s. Stay on your heater and you will be sub 15 within a month at your rate of rounds per week. ...Just hope heater lasts bc I went on a crazy run sept-nov last year shooting a bunch of low-mid 70s and sitting on a 4.6 hcp despite my 2 rounds this year being +18, +10, and 2 9s of +7 and +1. Literally have no chance in a handicapped match plus would have to deal with all the accusations of being a vanity capper.
                              We'll see....I'm enjoying the ride....and will be playing a **** load of golf next week in Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by sunshiNee View Post
                                I used to practice like a maniac but like you range session never translated over for years. My scoring improved when I spent less time on the range and played more rounds per week.

Also dedicate more time around the greens, chipping, and putting. If your short game is decent and you're not OB you should be able to shoot 80-90s day in day out.
                                You speak truth. Right now my short game is pretty good but I lost 15 balls in the last two rounds = 90 and 99.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X