Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Club Gapping - Do you do it? And how often?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club Gapping - Do you do it? And how often?

Hey Golf Nuts!

Hope you all had a weekend full of pars, birdies and eagles

Curious if you guys/gals gap your clubs, if so what is your strategy and how often do you do it?

I gap every month and I do it like this...

PW - 48' - 52' - 56' - 60' wedges all checked with a half swing, quarter swing and full swing....

4i - 9i checked with full swing

Woods, Hybrid, Driver - full swing

Each club I do 5 shots at whatever the swing speed is and then average it out, I will generally use a Trackman (I'm lucky enough that the head pro at the closest driving range here has one, so I pay $150 and use it with him for about an hour or so).

How do you guys do it, do you like my strategy? I keep everything written down and have it in a little book for when I'm on the track playing, it's really helped a lot - and a big PS. my full swing is never more than 80 percent swing.
    WHATS IN THE BAG

Callaway Epic Flash Driver
    Callaway Epic Flash 3-Wood
    Titelist 818 4 Hybrid
    Titelist 718 AP1 4-PW, AW Irons
    Titelist Vokey SM6 52' F Grind
    Titelist Vokey SM6 56' F Grind
    Titelist Vokey SM6 60' S Grind
    Taylormade Spider Tour Putter

"The most important shot in golf is the next one."

Not me , i figure once they are dialed in I'm good.

Comment

[QUOTE=GolferRay;n3003711]Hey Golf Nuts!

so I pay $150 and use it with him for about an hour or so).
      QUOTE]

You pay $150 each time once a month? Or for the season? If a month I would buy a swing caddie SC300 instead

Comment

[QUOTE=Tintin;n3005251]
        Originally posted by GolferRay View Post
        Hey Golf Nuts!

so I pay $150 and use it with him for about an hour or so).
        QUOTE]

You pay $150 each time once a month? Or for the season? If a month I would buy a swing caddie SC300 instead
        agree, fee is too much unless the pro is there to read and interpret the data for him.
        GolferRay, If you don't mind my saying so, a monthly gap check, for a tour player, would be over the top . Your club loft won't change if they are a cast type.
        things change

Comment

Never done it. Actually never heard of anybody doing it.

Do your scores improve after the gapping sessions?

Comment

Originally posted by bogey5 View Post
            Never done it. Actually never heard of anybody doing it.

Do your scores improve after the gapping sessions?
            not really, but it gives me one less thing to blame when I shoot bad lol just kinda gives me more focus on each shot I guess with respect to decision on the yardage but I wouldn't say it improves my score.
            WHATS IN THE BAG

Titelist 818 4 Hybrid

Comment

[QUOTE=bl8d;n3005381]
              Originally posted by Tintin View Post

agree, fee is too much unless the pro is there to read and interpret the data for him.
              GolferRay, If you don't mind my saying so, a monthly gap check, for a tour player, would be over the top . Your club loft won't change if they are a cast type.
              I was only going to do it once as well but the head pro said I should do it monthly because apparently my swing will change? not sure how it will anyways but ya you are right it's probably total overkill..
              WHATS IN THE BAG

Titelist 818 4 Hybrid

Comment

[QUOTE=bl8d;n3005381]
                Originally posted by Tintin View Post

Do you find the SC300 accurate? I am really interested in buying one! I just run to trackman guys because apparently it's the most accurate right...or so they say.
                WHATS IN THE BAG

Titelist 818 4 Hybrid

Comment

[QUOTE=GolferRay;n3005674]
                  Originally posted by bl8d View Post

Do you find the SC300 accurate? I am really interested in buying one! I just run to trackman guys because apparently it's the most accurate right...or so they say.
                  here is a review of the sc200.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOoipRcGV3w

In truth, I take my binocs to the range and its all I need to come to a decision on a club. The rest of the data is fairly obvious to see from the flight and the feel./measure of impact.
                  things change

Comment

[QUOTE=GolferRay;n3005673]

I was only going to do it once as well but the head pro said I should do it monthly because apparently my swing will change? not sure how it will anyways but ya you are right it's probably total overkill..
                    I have only ever done a gapping session every time I get new clubs. Other than that, I might check loft and lies once a year. Anything more than that is definite overkill.

Comment

Have to say I've never done that. It would be a great tool to do it once, perhaps every year. But spending $150/month ? You have money to burn.

Comment

[QUOTE=Phatchrisrules;n3005999]
                        Originally posted by GolferRay View Post
                        I have only ever done a gapping session every time I get new clubs. Other than that, I might check loft and lies once a year. Anything more than that is definite overkill.

^^^ This

I have my own Loft/Lie machine. My sets get built and measured repeatedly before being put in the bag, and then I only check them in the offseason. Previously, I had Golftown check my Lob & Sand wedges mid-season as I used to practice those shots a lot and they would indeed drift.
                        WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS
                        Titleist TSi2 11* with Ventus Red Velocore 6
                        Titleist TSi2 15* fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 21* and 24* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
                        Titleist T200 5-GW with Steelfiber i95cw
                        Cleveland RTX4 54* & 58* with Steelfiber i110cw
                        Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
                        Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw

Comment

If you are playing and practicing regularly you should have a very good idea of what your distances are. Its pretty easy to detect a club that is off a significant "degree"

now if you lose or gain swing speed for some reason, be it injury or working out then might be a good idea to do a session and check.

in terms of adjusting lofts and lies after use...
                          - woods wont change , so don't need to be ...but you can fine tune with adjustable hosels if you like
                          - hard cast clubs, don't need it
                          - soft stainless ( 303, 304) and forged can deviate. This is dependent a lot on the conditions you play ( hard firm will more, soft and lush minimal) whether you are a divot taker( more) or sweeper/ picker ( unlikely) and how much you play and practice and if you practice off mats.

For soft stainless and forged i would say best to do a loft and lie check/ adjustment every 50 or so rounds, more if you practice off mats or play hard firm conditions.

Comment

[QUOTE=GolferRay;n3005674]

In all honesty I've never tried it. I considered getting one but they don't come cheap. You could also consider
                            https://www.arccosgolf.com/ Some people rave about those that is if you don't mind carrying a cell phone around:

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...l=1#post561288

Comment

@Admin. can you fix the quoting attributions? I t seems that lately the wrong persons are often getting cited as the source.
                              things change

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X