Collapse

GolfTec Lessons

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GolfTec Lessons

I see several people take lessons here at GolfTec. I’ve taken 10 lessons so far and I’ve had a lot to work on. We have had redesign my entire swing from my grip, my stance, back swing and follow through. It has been tough because what kind of worked me before on the golf course now doesn’t. As I am learning my new swing I’m not consistent with it which is frustrating.

With you guys who have taken GolfTec lessons how have you overcome the hurtle where you were learning your new swing to the point it all came together and you started hitting the ball consistently on the course?

I ask because my drive is off, my irons I’m not hitting clean consistently. Chipping and pitching needs work and I’m disappointed.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

How much are you practising?

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
      How much are you practising?
      I practice my swing at home daily. I go to GolfTec once or twice a week depends on my schedule. I have lessons about twice a month.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonK View Post

I practice my swing at home daily. I go to GolfTec once or twice a week depends on my schedule. I have lessons about twice a month.
        It sounds like your putting in plenty of practise time. With a major change, which it sounds like you made, it takes quite a bit of time to adapt fully. Usually there is a period where you play worse as you incorporate the changes. All I can say is make sure you are practising the correct techniques (and not reinforcing your old swing) and keep at it. Patience is key.

Comment

Thanks, as I'm sure you can appreciate it's just frustrating because I'm in sales and I'm being asked to Golf more. With my swing all over the place currently, it's frustrating not to be able to play well, like I use to. Also, playing with clients who can golf I can tell it's frustrating them having to keep trying to find my ball, while they are in the fairway most of the time. I was able to hit fairly straight majority of the time before I started this round of lessons. I am not saying there bad just to be clear, I can see the issues I needed to fix and why. It's just frustrating it's not coming together faster and I'm not able to be consistent like before.

I will take your advice and be patient, I think I need to write off this season and just decline golf games until I can get my swing in order.

Comment

I’ve been with golftec for over 1 year and I’m finally seeing progress but it is not easy. It’s very humbling getting your swing disected on video every lesson.

I’ve played a ton of client golf. It’s not about the golf but just make sure your clients are looked after on and off the course. Some balls/hat/shirt/etc is always nice.

Comment

Everybody is different but in general it takes a lot of time for improvements to be a) be realized on the course at all and b) consistently stay with you. I took weekly lessons for almost 3 off seasons (building a new swing as well) and it was always up and down though the downs are far less now.

I don't know what it is but the expectations for golf lessons is just so sky high. 10 lessons + practice is nothing (no offense). I can't think of any other activity/skill/game where taking 10 lessons would make a meaningful lasting impact on your results. Think of all the time/money/blood/sweat you poured into your craft that puts food on the table. I'd probably bet you're probably not anywhere close to the best in that field either but you're decent, good enough to make a living, you can "put it on the fairway" pretty consistently in your field. Now, if someone asked you if you can show them over the course of 10 sessions how to do your job and expect anywhere near close the same results as you what would you think?

In short, lower your expectations. You're probably on track and doing just fine. Just keep going at it.

As far as client events, it's about the clients as Beta_Man suggested. If you're struggling just pick it up and ensure the clients are having a blast.

Comment

Yeah I understand what you guys are saying about clients. The challenge as you guys know if I am playing military golf and searching for my ball constantly. While my client is in the fairway I can see them getting frustrated. I feel the goal is to spend the most time with them to chat and build up a relationship.

When it comes to my swing, yes I have to practice and be patient. As I am sure you guys can appreciate. You just want to get your swing down so you can hit straight and consistent majority of the time. Right now it’s 20% is a good hit and 80% it’s not a good shot for whatever reason, looking up, my swing path was off, my hands are not where they need to be on the club...etc. It’s just frustrating.

Comment

I think when u do lessons you always have to ask yourself “what am I trying to achieve” for example being taught a swing like golftec is for a person who wants to score low and compete to drive their game better. It will take a massive amount of time to learn a new swing and yes you will suffer but in the end you will be technically better and able to start to score lower. On the other hand if u are going into lessons saying “I just want to shave a couple strokes off to score better and enjoy the game a bit more” a swing change may not be what u want or need. I think a lot of us mistake practicing once or twice a week for what the pros do which is almost daily for several hours. When you are a kid you can practice every day after school and you parents are more then happy to drop you off and let you be a kid but when you have responsibilities (work, family, etc) it is often tough to go out and find time to do that kind of work.

Also what was an eye opener for me was figuring out “where” you are losing strokes. If you find yourself on the green in two on a lot of holes is it maybe better for you to take putting lessons?? Anyways just my 2 cents...or 10..

Comment

I appreciate your feedback. The reason why I wanted to take lessons is

1) To be more consistent with my swing and hitting. I want to hit straight more consistently with all my clubs.

2) Increase my distance with each club because I don’t hit as for as I feel I could be hitting for example my 9 iron I only hit 120 yards on average.

3) Improve my score from mid to low 90’s currently. See if I can get to low 80’s

I can see climpses of how the lessons have improved my swing when everything does come together on the course. I practice about 30min to an hour each day just practicing my swing. Trying to make sure I get the swing down so I can be more consistent and don’t have to think about all aspects of it.

Comment

With regards to practice I worked from Dec '18 to Mar '19 on one thing only. Transition. I had that little move down pat in the dome. The sound of the iron on the ball at impact was that beautiful SMACK sound. Got outside in the spring on the course and do you think I could do it? No! Took at least until July '19 before I could even remotely feel that transition sensation again.

We are now in Aug and I'm getting that feel back from the winter even more so and I'm really feeling the transition piece. I know its all mental ie. Indoor vs Outdoor, but it eventually will come around. Give it time. I believe as long as you have the muscle memory going then its just a matter of the brain processing it. That's why practice is a good thing!

Comment

brianbki1 Thanks, I agree with you. As I am sure you can appreciate it’s just frustrating to not be able to pick it up faster.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonK View Post
                          I appreciate your feedback. The reason why I wanted to take lessons is

1) To be more consistent with my swing and hitting. I want to hit straight more consistently with all my clubs.

2) Increase my distance with each club because I don’t hit as for as I feel I could be hitting for example my 9 iron I only hit 120 yards on average.

3) Improve my score from mid to low 90’s currently. See if I can get to low 80’s

I can see climpses of how the lessons have improved my swing when everything does come together on the course. I practice about 30min to an hour each day just practicing my swing. Trying to make sure I get the swing down so I can be more consistent and don’t have to think about all aspects of it.
                          Yeah I get the consistency but I can tell you that is a never ending battle. If you are scoring in the 90’s I think you are maybe over estimating how many times you are “right in the fairway” most golfers I know in that range (and that is most of my buddies) they miss a ton of fairways and spend a ton of shots trying to get out of there. Also are u scoring 90’s with 4 or 5 “mulligans” (also a lot of my buddies) if you are truly hitting that many fairways I would say you immediately need to see someone about your short game specifically as you are giving up the strokes there. If not then dont panic let it do it’s course. If you can get the swing down then you will see a huge improvement and you are already doing better then most golfers by actually taking lessons and practicing!!

Comment

Tphilp thanks for your comment. Off the tee and in the fairway is where I have most of my issues because my swing is not consistent yet. My short game fortunate enough is what is saving me. 120 yards and in I can normally hit a good shot and putt out in 2 or 3 depending on if I rush. It's the hitting out of rough from my drives, hitting in the fairway to the green.

I was practicing at GolfTec today and it's starting to come together. I was hitting more consistently today. I have slowed down my swing and just take it slow now. Going into my backswing making sure everything is correct. Then swinging and following through. I did a drill today where you take 5 golf balls and play them as I would on a course for each. I would put the ball down, walk up to it line up the shot and then swing away. See how I did and what I needed to fix. Then walk away and then do it again with the next ball from setup to hitting the ball. This drill for me is so important because it helps me train how I would play versus just sitting there and hitting ball after ball.

I was hitting about 2 out of 5 really well. 1 or 2 I would draw it more then I would like or I wasn't lined up correctly and then 1 I would just be off. So I can tell my swing is coming together. Once I get to 3 to 4 out of 5 I hit really well on a consistent bases I will be happy. That is where I was before I started taking lessons. I can tell my swing is better it's just practice, practice, practice.

Comment

BrandonK - I think it's quite rare for an individual to have an inconsistent swing in the sense that 10 out of 10 swings probably look VERY similar when videoed. Dispersion can be very inconsistent, though, even with a consistent swing if the swing itself is not fundamentally sound. I think if the expectation is to hit many fairways and greens, then one should strive to have a swing that looks fundamentally correct (i.e., is it on plane? is dynamic loft much stronger than loft at address? Is path relatively neutral etc.). A quick litmus test would be to compare your swing side-by-side with a swing that you admire from a professional with similar physical characteristics as yourself. The greater the similarities, the more reasonable it would be (in my opinion) to expect similar results.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X