Pop Stroke for Short Putts

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Stroke for Short Putts

Pop Stroke for Short Putts and general putting improvement:

Today was the first time in a very long time that I spent any serious time practicing my putting. I have become the victim of too many gimme's on short putts over the years. Earlier this week I was in a competitive event for the very first time and had to putt everything out. Needless to say I missed a few 2-4 footers that made me mad. I consider myself a very good lag putter but those short ones certainly need work, and I should be making more in the 6' - 10' range too

Following that round on Monday, I adopted the Hideki pigeon-toe stance to improve my lateral stability, and it definitely helped in the 2 rounds since.

I had the practice putting green to myself this morning and did various drills and repetition from in close, and also had few alignment sticks along.

For starters my foot alignment was greatly inconsistent. This was highlighted by taking my stance, then laying down an alignment stick across my toes to show just how off I was from the get-go, often lining up open or closed. What helped with that was to first set the putter face, then take a stance off that anchor point. One wouldn't think on such short 2-4' putts that taking an aligned putting stance would be so difficult.

Trying the Snedeker pop-stroke was an interesting test, and very successful for me. I assume that such a short take-away and non-arc putting path limits the putter face from wandering. From farther away, my distance suffered as I had a lack of feel for how hard to hit the ball with such a short take-away. I don't expect a miracle fix after 1 session of putting, but I think I'm going to try the pop-stroke for anything less than 5'
    Anyone else doing the pop-stroke ?

Last edited by ARL67; Aug 24, 2019, 09:10 AM.
    🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
    Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
    Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
    Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
    Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
    Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
    Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

that pigeon and knock knee.stance is Arnold Palmers and his was a pop stroke too. Most golfers in tat era used the pop stroke, notably Billy Casper who was the best putter of them all with that stroke.
    TRY ARNIE’S LOCKED-KNEES METHOD FOR STABLE PUTTING >> Arnold Palmer ranks not only among golf's greatest and most popular players, but also its most unique. Take his putting stance, for example.-Palmer employed a narrow stance with his toes pointed inward and... – VOTED #1 GOLF SITE!

things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Other than short takeaway which keeps it online, popstrokes ensure you accelerate through contact even on the short ones. Not going into contact assertively and esp full on decelerating can cause instability of putter face and yips. Pop stroke takes care of that but is far from the only option.
      Phil Michelson talks about 30% backswing, 70% followthrough on his 3foot putts, and always accelerating through the ball.
      Whenever short putts come up I like to mention my fav game, 'carpet billiards' where u throw 3 balls onto ur carpet in living room or office and just play caroms on initial putts about a foot apart (they get closer together as u put runs together). But this game really trains you to see and roll your exact line to hit specific parts of balls in order to carom into the third ball. With plenty of reps, you quickly develop a repeatable style of putting that allows you to hit crisp solid putts even over short distances at low speeds. Pop stroke is def a good choice but if you play around with this game (works equally well on a putting green obv) u will settle on the most natural way for you to see ur line, roll ur line, and make clean strokes for crisp contact at low speeds. Then just extend this out for a more consistent style for all your putts so your not having to choose between a putting style that is good for lags or one that stays on line when near hole.

Comment

I do not ever pop stroke. Nothing wrong with i but i try to keep all putts the same style. The knock kneed pigeon toe does work well on all putts.

Another thing to try is stick an alignment stick thru ur front 2 or 3 belt loops so its sitting across ur hips in front of u. Then putt. That stick needs to stay still on ur stroke. Ud be so suprised how much it may be moving.

Comment

I am going to give this a try. I tend to take the gimmes when they're offered, but often times I miss some of these knee knockers. Using a shorter "pop" stroke might be the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by gushamilton View Post
            I am going to give this a try. I tend to take the gimmes when they're offered, but often times I miss some of these knee knockers. Using a shorter "pop" stroke might be the answer.
            I play a league where playing by the rules are sacrosanct, no gimmies period full stop, and in my non-league rounds I find if I start taking gimmies it actually hurts me when they count, so I putt out always and it does not impact pace of play...

Stop accepting gimmies and putting out all the time will force you to try and deal with the knee knockers and like everything, practice makes perfect.

Not to be contrarian, but I find the 'pop stroke', knock it in vs. a proper follow through can cause me to pull left and actually can be part of the problem on the 2-3 footers. Best to keep putts from long to short philosophically the same type of stroke as someone else said...
            TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
            TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
            TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
            TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
            TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
            * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
            TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
            TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
            TM TP5 Golf Ball
            Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
            SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
            Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
            X