Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The death grip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The death grip!

Looking for ideas from people who have struggled with the death grip and tensing up in the downswing. I already know about baby bird, toothpaste, 70% swing and intentional death grip during practice swing, but nothing is working.

I am convinced itís mental and likely out of fear of hitting a bad shot, so looking for solutions from players that have had it and fixed it.
    Ė Greg

Greg, if your tendency is to pull down from the top with a feeling of strain, it makes sense that you will have to grip the club tightly. Results might be coming in steep and over the top on occasion. The trend the last few years is to shallow the club on the way down thus using more of the lower body to generate power. Iím working on this right now with improved results (I wish it worked for my putting lol). Once youíve completed your backswing let the arms fall behind and down like they are almost numb and heavy feeling, then a squat and turn will sling your arms through. You will most likely not need the death grip anymore. Or maybe clean your grips. lol G

Comment

Tiger Woods: "start the downswing slow"

Meaning don't fire right from the top of the backswing.

Comment

My death grip, always my right hand as a righty, leaves the face open at impact. I just tell myself to try and initiate the down swing / transition slower, but easier said than done.

Maybe try a Mid or Jumbo grip as a fix to force a different feel ???
        WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
        Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65 Stiff
        Titleist TS2 19H with Evenflow White 90 Stiff

Titleist 818 H1 21 & 23 with Accra FX300H Stiff
        Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 5i & 6i with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
        Mizuno MP-18 MMC 7-PW with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
        Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
        Cleveland RTX 54* & 58 Mid with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
        Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

Comment

>sling your arms through

That's the key.

Think "soft / speed" through the ball.

Do you have "death grip" when you throw a baseball ?

Comment

Check out Gravity Golf (David Lee) video on the grip. He outlines a way to put the hands on the club that gives you the most leverage over the club. This is the position in which you can grip it with every ounce of your grip strength. Obviously you don't play with this tension level, but by maxing out the leverage over the club, you essentially have the same level of control at lower grip pressures.
            Lee's stance on the toothpaste and baby bird tips you mentioned is that they are garbage and ruin more players than they help. Multiple major champ Jackie Burke Jr. agrees and said the same of this advice, quipping that "When Sam Snead told people that he grips the club like he's holding a bird he forgot to tell them it's an eagle". The idea for Lee is to be very securely on the club with the fingers while retaining fluidity in the wrists. Fluidity in the wrists is really what you are after when gripping lightly and if you are not on the club correctly in a high leverage position your only option is to be loose everywhere.

Shawn Clement also has a death grip video where he hits balls with a 'white knuckle' grip that has him squeezing it as hard as he can...his fluidity is not affected.

I'd recommend you find those 2 vids. They are gems and helped me develop my own grip around those concepts. I definitely grip it tighter than most, but my wrists allow fluid motion (unless I don't want it of course).

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
              Greg, if your tendency is to pull down from the top with a feeling of strain, it makes sense that you will have to grip the club tightly. Results might be coming in steep and over the top on occasion. The trend the last few years is to shallow the club on the way down thus using more of the lower body to generate power. Iím working on this right now with improved results (I wish it worked for my putting lol). Once youíve completed your backswing let the arms fall behind and down like they are almost numb and heavy feeling, then a squat and turn will sling your arms through. You will most likely not need the death grip anymore. Or maybe clean your grips. lol G
              Thanks for this, and for the other suggestions so far. Iíll give this a try on the range today, it makes a lot of sense.

But therein lies the problem. With decent grip pressure, I can hit 50 balls perfectly fine on the range, but when standing over the ball in the fairway, Iím death gripping. I was told thereís no consequences for hitting a bad shot on the range, so I guess Iím more relaxed. Iím now convinced itís a phycological problem during the round, and looking for some thoughts around headspace.
              Ė Greg

Comment

Barely grip the club with your right hand, almost like cradle on the takeaway, on the way down you will naturally increase grip pressure. Takeaway grip pressure 0.5/10

Comment

Cradle in fingers, not a real golf grip

Comment

As what SmoothBomber said above. You can go ahead and grip the club, it wont matter how hard or firm so long as your wrists and forearms can move freely.

I used to do a lot of rock climbing... I'm too busy now (lazy). Here is the funny thing about grip pressure and feel, you actually have no clue how strong you are gripping a club ever.

The feel just isn't real.

When I did climb a lot I could hold onto edges with 2 fingers feeling like I was barely gripping and could easily hold up half of my body weight at 90 lbs of body weight in 2 fingers without feeling like I was gripping. To me this required a 'light' grip in open palm.

If 2 fingers can hold 90 lbs on a 1 cm deep edge and barely feel like gripping... then go ahead and try it.

I can bet if I went back to climbing now and tried it being out of shape, I would be gripping extremely hard.

My point is this, to me I feel like I am barely holding the golf club but to a new golfer, I am actually gripping the club far more firmly then they could with maximum strength while keeping my forearms soft.

Holding it too lightly consciously just ends up with flipping wrists and inconsistent striking, the contact typically is far less firm and strong.

IMO tremendous grip strength is actually required to swing with speed. The stronger you are the better because it will feel like you are barely holding it.

I think golfers confuse strength with tightness. The swing should never be tight, but should always be strong.

Swing strong and swing as strong as you like.
                    Last edited by Kiwe; Sep 9, 2019, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Go out for a round without caring about anything. Grab your club, take a quick look at the fairway or green and swing. Don't overthink anything!

Yesterday I played 18 and shot 78 with a handful of poor shots that resulted in my round being 2-3 shots more than it should have been.

I played a second nine --- fast, as it was 6pm --- and played simply for the fun of playing. I didn't think about anything other than play fast! I looked at it as a bonus round for the day. Lol.

I drove up to the ball, did a quick yardage check and then just stepped up to the ball and swung. I had zero pre shot routine, no practice swings, didn't align my shot from behind the ball and ignored the wind.

I lipped a 10' putt on nine for birdie and shot what felt like a very easy -1. Yes, that sounds like an odd description but afterwards it seemed like an effortless round.

Looking at it as a bonus round, I was free of worrying about scoring and just enjoyed what I was doing.

This is going to be my plan for today's round(s).

Comment

It's usually the placement of the thumb of the bottom hand that is at fault. It turns into a Pincer grip and locks up the wrist.
                        Extend the bottom hand's forefinger a bit, and rest the thumb gently against the mid finger.
                        Things change.

Cobra Fly Z+ ProjectX Handcrafted 50LZ
                        Cal Steelhead 3,5 RCH99firm
                        Cleve Halo 19*hybrid s300
                        Cleve TA3 4-Pw TTX100
                        Cleve 53,57 s300
                        Cal Tuttle

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
                          Iím now convinced itís a phycological problem during the round, and looking for some thoughts around headspace.
                          Could be purely psychological as you suspect but the issue could easily stem from something physical, just as the YIPS are caused by slack somewhere along the kinetic chain the majority of the time but psychology is always blamed instead.

Re: Headspace. How you practice at the range matters. Darrel Klausen, coach and author of "Golf's an Easy Game" holds clinics often and quite consistently, after making swing changes, his students are hitting balls great on the range. Then he tells them, "Now hit it at that pole in the middle" and the students start mishitting and having all sorts of swing breakdowns. Funny thing is that before he says that, they are "all over that pole". When out there just swinging not caring where the ball goes, you are loose and free and the ball goes where it is supposed to. Perhaps, like the players shooting at the pole, when you get a target in mind and get all sorts of alignment considerations creep into your mind throwing off your focus, or you become too concerned with hitting the target and start 'steering' the shot rather than just letting it go. Could be a lot of other things but working on getting comfortable with your alignment, committing to the shot, and then just letting it rip with the swing that brung you could help.

...I'd still def keep mind open to the idea that there is a physical cause that at least makes you more susceptible to this type of death gripping 'when it counts'.

Comment

^^^ I was going to start a new thread:

"The Shorter the Par 3 the Worse I Do"

Put me in a fairway with under 150 to the pin and I'm pretty good
                            Put the ball on a tee from 150 in and all sorts of sh*t can happen !

It's frustrating when I have a 125 tee shot and can't find the green -> I can either arm-swing only and pull it, lay off and leak it to the right or come up short, or try to steer it, etc, etc. I think because the distance is short we have a greater expectation to do well, which gets in our heads, and we try to manipulate the outcome from overthinking it.
                            WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
                            Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65 Stiff
                            Titleist TS2 19H with Evenflow White 90 Stiff

Titleist 818 H1 21 & 23 with Accra FX300H Stiff
                            Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 5i & 6i with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
                            Mizuno MP-18 MMC 7-PW with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
                            Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
                            Cleveland RTX 54* & 58 Mid with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
                            Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,543   Posts: 1,814,918   Members: 47,104   Active Members: 171
                            Welcome to our newest member, kaze1234ify.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                            X