Collapse

ELBOWS??

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELBOWS??

I've had a horrible year in ball striking... Generally keeping the ball in play . .. hitting okay but something off... and seldom where I want it. So I went to walk around the local city 9 Hole and see if anything struck me. It did on the 9th hole. I pulled out a hybrid and tucked my right elbow and smack ... right at the target... another .... smack right at the target. It's almost October and I finally figured out why I sucked...Strong side elbows cant fly...

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
    I've had a horrible year in ball striking... Generally keeping the ball in play . .. hitting okay but something off... and seldom where I want it. So I went to walk around the local city 9 Hole and see if anything struck me. It did on the 9th hole. I pulled out a hybrid and tucked my right elbow and smack ... right at the target... another .... smack right at the target. It's almost October and I finally figured out why I sucked...Strong side elbows cant fly...
    I'm a righty with a strong grip and I find if I don't keep my right elbow tucked it leads to inconsistent clubface angle at impact, the club can flip. By tucking the elbow, the club stays squarer to the target through impact. The towel drill is good to work on this awareness.

Comment

I keep both my arms rather tight to my body,I know when my arms are loose .​​​​​

Comment

When I've really hooked the ball I know my right elbow is too far from my body. I call it my "flying right elbow".

Every time I pull the club back I try to remember to tell myself to tuck my right elbow in close.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
          Yes . . . right elbow also known as Chicken Wing . . . Good luck, very hard to fix but at least now you know.
          If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Been fighting this for a while.
            The flying elbow is a symptom of overswinging.Keeping the right elbow tucked will limit the backswing and stop the arms from collapsing.
            Lead with the right elbow. (Start your forward swing with the right elbow. )This will shallow your path ,keep you from coming over the top and cause solid strikes (Monty Schienbloom)
            Just make sure your stance creates enough room for your elbow to clear your body so you don't get stuck.(the feeling that your right arm is going to crash into your body)
            Stuck will lead to early extension. (Standing up before impact to make space for your arms to clear your body) which will result in a low,left ,short shot ( for a rh golfer).
            Most bad shots are symptoms of an improper setup.

Comment

Been working with Matt Kane again over the last month , fixed my posture, setup also keeping my my arms and elbows snug against the body.

My ball striking has been good all year but was having some issues with the driver. Standing to far away and hands to high at address .

i find with the elbows closer to the body it really helps with takeaway and down swing . Sometimes it’s the little things we forget about that can really make the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

Yes . . . right elbow also known as Chicken Wing . . . Good luck, very hard to fix but at least now you know.
                I think the pros use this to hit low draws...

Comment

George Gankas I think likes chicken wings on the takeaway, but I think that elbow gets pulled back in as his lower body rotates.

I'm figuring that there are many many ways to do this thing we call a golf swing and one "teacher" can do one thing and another does something different. They can all work but it's personal preference to some extent. The only thing that matters is what you are doing around a foot before you hit the ball and a foot after you hit the ball ie just before and just after impact. Whatever works for you is what matters.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Had the exact same problem recently and couldn't figure out what was wrong. As soon as I focused on the right elbow, I hit it much more consistently. Had been hitting slices for a month.

Comment

Originally posted by TeetoGrnr View Post
                      George Gankas I think likes chicken wings on the takeaway, but I think that elbow gets pulled back in as his lower body rotates.

I'm figuring that there are many many ways to do this thing we call a golf swing and one "teacher" can do one thing and another does something different. They can all work but it's personal preference to some extent. The only thing that matters is what you are doing around a foot before you hit the ball and a foot after you hit the ball ie just before and just after impact. Whatever works for you is what matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fkb0Gt7_mw
                      This.
                      Many gravity golfers have a flying elbow in the backswing. Makes the arc bigger and allows for a ton of effortless power IF you can get out of the way and allow gravity (and a subtle counterfall) to be the engine of your swing. As long as the arms drop back in the slot and right elbow either leads the downswing or is at least tucked before the bulk of the turn takes place, that thing can fly around as much as your heart desires. Jack Nicklaus had a flying elbow and was hands down the best long iron player ever. His was pretty wild looking too. Personally I like my elbow to get away from my body but only in a way that feels straight up at end of my turn. I then feel like it falls back to my body first while back is still to target. This isnt what happens on video but that is the feel I like for a free flowing effortlessly powerful swing that repeats. But as quoted above...different strokes for different folks. Tucked elbow not a must.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X