/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Varying distances with a single club - How do you do It ???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 30PuttsOrLess
    So.... Varying distances with a single club - How do you do It ???

LOL, good way to bring the thread back to the topic.

Well, since i started the thread few days ago, i have been able to try few things and experiment with suggestions in this thread, and, at least for me, it's not easy to do, to say the least. Really, it's much easier to hit NORMAL/FULL shots with every club. Around the green, well that's a different story, and much easier to achieve varied distances with pitches and chips.

Will keep trying and FWIW, if i clue in on something of substance, maybe come back here and post it.

Comment

Choking down and/or opening the face while still taking full swings is the easiest way to vary distance IMO. I've been trying this with my wedges because I can't stand trying to hit partial wedges (ie half/three-qtr swings)

Comment

Hi all, again, probably not that important but had great day at my par 3 track, which was totally abandoned which gave me ample time to practice and experiment with this topic. And here are some findings:

1) Taking less club and swinging harder, didn't work well. I got higher shots but somehow not much gain in distance ?

2) Taking more club and swinging "smaller" worked pretty well - it filled the gap, but the direction of the shots changed , from my full swings, IOW, the miss was left ?

So something to continue working on and trying to understand.

Comment

as for you second point, chances are that like many trying to swing smaller with a stronger iron, you were ,not only de-lofting the club you also had the toe pointing inward.
          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
            as for you second point, chances are that like many trying to swing smaller with a stronger iron, you were ,not only de-lofting the club you also had the toe pointing inward.
            Absolutely !!! I'm thinking that due to the slower speed of the club head, the moment of "rotational" inertia of the club head was reduced, which in turn made the toe close easier/quicker, no ?
            Cannot wait to try today the same thing but with weaker grip ???
            Last edited by veryold; Oct 9, 2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
              Absolutely !!! I'm thinking that due to the slower speed of the club head, the moment of "rotational" inertia of the club head was reduced, which in turn made the toe close easier/quicker, no ?
              Cannot wait to try today the same thing but with weaker grip ???
              at address set the face scorelines at 12:02
              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

at address set the face scorelines at 12:02
                OK, just to get this thru my old brain: Have same grip as for full/normal shots, but have the face a "bit" open at address ???

Comment

Try reading the Dave Pelz Short Game Bible. He talks about his approach to hitting 50%, 75% and 100% distances for your short game, but it seems to also work well with longer irons. Basically backswing to 9 o'clock with full follow through to get 75% of your full distance, and back to 7:30 with full follow through for 50%. That's the general rule he gives, but everyone is different -- I'm more 8:30 and 7:00 to get 75% and 50% respectively. Practice your 100%, 75% and 50% distance swings and with various irons, you should have most distances covered. Pelz also talks about shaving another 5-10% off your distance by choking up. So essentially you should have 6 distances with every club with 3 different length backswings grooved.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post

OK, just to get this thru my old brain: Have same grip as for full/normal shots, but have the face a "bit" open at address ???
                    yes, try that.
                    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Just go play and learn by your experiences. It may not be pretty at first. Lots of us learned to play with six or seven clubs and were quite successful.
                      When I try to take less club and slow down, it's always a pull - seems that the arms slow down but the hips don't, meaning that the swing path is to the left. Given a choice, I will take the club that I need to swing the hardest - but that's when I have all clubs available.
                      Last edited by rulie; Oct 10, 2019, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X