Collapse

Canadian Golf Teacher’s Federation

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Golf Teacher’s Federation

Greetings. Would you consider getting lessons from a Canadian Golf Teacher’s Federation certified coach (as opposed to a Canadian PGA pro)?

Any experience or opinion would be most appreciated.

I'm considering getting qualified to teach and welcome your thoughts before doing so.

National Organization of Golf Teaching Professionals The Canadian Golf Teachers Federation trains and certifies golf teaching professionals.

Cheers.
    Last edited by DRGolfcoach; Oct 16, 2019, 10:21 AM.

There are experienced and inexperienced teachers in both. I was certified in both federations throughout my life. Anybody who can shoot 80 or less consistently can become a "golf pro".. Do your research and ask around before committing a bunch of dough..
    M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
    M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
    Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
    Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
    TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

To me, good referrals are worth more than any specific certification. Much like any profession, the certification simply shows that they have been exposed to a certain body of knowledge and have demonstrated some minimal standard of skill. It does not necessarily indicate if they are any good at that profession. Only referrals from satisfied students will indicate how good they are at teaching. Go with that.
      Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post
        To me, good referrals are worth more than any specific certification. Much like any profession, the certification simply shows that they have been exposed to a certain body of knowledge and have demonstrated some minimal standard of skill. It does not necessarily indicate if they are any good at that profession. Only referrals from satisfied students will indicate how good they are at teaching. Go with that.
        ^^^ Agreed 100%.

Also how good an instructor is at playing golf is not really an indication as to how good they are at teaching golf.

exempli gratia

Leadbetter - Harmon - Foley; to name a few.
        Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Agree with referrals over certification as much more valuable. Have seen and overheard a few lessons that made me absolutely cringe. One cpga pro, after taking his student's driver and slicing it minimum 60yards 3x in a row remarked "It's the wrong flex for me, THERE'S NOTHING I COULD DO". Really. Nothing. Maybe he was one of those cpga pros that is more of a shaft salesman in the pro shop than an instructor. But ye, certification means little. Especially when you consider that some renowned coaches teach in ways in direct contradiction to the material presented and tested for in the certification process.

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
            Leadbetter - Harmon - Foley; to name a few.
            Please remove Lead Poisoning and Foley from your list.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post
              This....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                Sean Foley recently turned Danny Willett's game around, Cameron Champ has 2 wins in 33 starts, and Justin Rose is world #7. But go ahead and trash away

Comment

Originally posted by smc66 View Post

Sean Foley recently turned Danny Willett's game around, Cameron Champ has 2 wins in 33 starts, and Justin Rose is world #7. But go ahead and trash away

Comment

On what basis have you evaluated Sean Foley? I ask, because over the years I have seen various lists in which he is highly regarded.
                    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

David Leadbetter (born 27 June 1952) is a leading golf instructor, originally from Worthing in Sussex, England. He began his career on the European and Southern Africantours, but had little success as a player. Having an interest in the techniques, mechanics and psychology of the sport he soon moved into instruction and came to wide notice in the 1980s when
                      he rebuilt the swing of Nick Faldo, who then went on to win six major championships.

OK so things did not turn out so good for them down the road, but still Leadbetter will have more money and high regard than you can ever even dream off. He still runs highly successful and respected golf schools.

BTW, my point was that a good golf instructor does not have to be a good PGA Tour golfer him or her self. Fact is they see it from an outside perspective.
                      Last edited by 4underthru9; Oct 17, 2019, 12:50 PM.
                      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

I guess I should have put on my flame suit before I made my post.

Attached Files

Comment

I think it really depends on the individual as opposed to his/her association. I am much more interested in what have they done since they started. Their personality is as important too.

Comment

Thanks all for your feedback. Much appreciated. I'm going to look into the certification. I will really enjoy the journey of working with people on their games.

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by drduffer View Post
                              Thanks all for your feedback. Much appreciated. I'm going to look into the certification. I will really enjoy the journey of working with people on their games.

Cheers,
                              Hey DRGolfcoach a friend of mine who gives lessons at my indoor place has the CGTF Master teaching certification. If you want to connect with him, let me know. I'm sure he'd be happy to chat with you more about the program.
                              What's in the bag?
                              TM M2
                              Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
                              PING Sigma G Putter
                              Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays