/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Shallowing the Swing - A MAGIC Move ???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We stand over the ball and don't feel comfortable but don't know why.I think it's because we don't have the wrists/arm muscles properly cocked,hinged and flexed.....essentially the discomfort of small muscles confronting big muscles.

Comment

Why would you need to shallow your downswing when everything happens naturally when using a single swing plane.

Those who pick up the club and do well are either very talented, hit gazillion balls and freaks of nature.By doing so the club has to be rerouted in the downswing. Dustin Johnson,Jim Furyk, Bubba come to mind. It takes very good hand/eye coordination to do so.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bubba.png Views:	0 Size:	64.6 KB ID:	3124688 Click image for larger version  Name:	Dustin.png Views:	0 Size:	85.4 KB ID:	3124690 Click image for larger version  Name:	Furyk.png Views:	0 Size:	47.2 KB ID:	3124689
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post

Appreciate your comments and the link, but for me, as i watch ALL THESE VIDS, the confusion continues, LOL, i'm so close to ditching all gizmos, vids and such and do what feels right to me, but above all else, IT DOESN'T HURT !!! Funny no one of these, so called "golf teachers" NEVER EVER talks about that aspect of the Golf Swing
        Hello veryold, sorry for jumping in, but I'd like to talk about two vids that I think may interest you. The same two instructors in both: Mike Malaska and Eric Cogorno. The first deals with shallowing, the second with pain related to common rotation ideas vs Malaska's view of hip movement in the full swing (13 minute mark). . They're each about 17 minutes long, but I believe there may be some explanations in both that may help you. They don't present absolutes, they discuss process and understanding and accept that each person is different. I hope they may be of some benefit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAxKS82W2E0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5YBQ9vyL4s

Comment

Originally posted by meefer View Post

Hello veryold, sorry for jumping in, but I'd like to talk about two vids that I think may interest you. The same two instructors in both: Mike Malaska and Eric Cogorno. The first deals with shallowing, the second with pain related to common rotation ideas vs Malaska's view of hip movement in the full swing (13 minute mark). . They're each about 17 minutes long, but I believe there may be some explanations in both that may help you. They don't present absolutes, they discuss process and understanding and accept that each person is different. I hope they may be of some benefit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAxKS82W2E0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5YBQ9vyL4s
          Thank you so much for your post and links, really appreciated
          Will watch them for sure !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Domer View Post
            What is the move/drill that you did? Can you describe and/or send a link to a video.
            agree

Comment

veryold Hey Serge I've been watching this guy on Youtube and am somewhat enjoying his videos. Much the same can be found elsewhere. But he keeps it fairly simple. On one video he shows his original vertical swing. While I'm not a big advocate of Stack and Tilt, I like the simplicity and shallow aspects of what he teaches.

https://youtu.be/8GdkZbDIdy4

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
                veryold Hey Serge I've been watching this guy on Youtube and am somewhat enjoying his videos. Much the same can be found elsewhere. But he keeps it fairly simple. On one video he shows his original vertical swing. While I'm not a big advocate of Stack and Tilt, I like the simplicity and shallow aspects of what he teaches.

https://youtu.be/8GdkZbDIdy4
                @nomullies Hey Al, like the guy a lot, and no kidding about his no nonsense and "straight to the point" type of approach and personality
                The main thing is that he teaches a "circular/rotational" swing is that it relies on spine twisting, which is OK for YOU, YOUNGER GUYS , but not so much for the VO ones, HA HA.

Enjoy your first game out and play well.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post

@nomullies Hey Al, like the guy a lot, and no kidding about his no nonsense and "straight to the point" type of approach and personality
                  The main thing is that he teaches a "circular/rotational" swing is that it relies on spine twisting, which is OK for YOU, YOUNGER GUYS , but not so much for the VO ones, HA HA.

Enjoy your first game out and play well.
                  In addition to getting less vertical, I like getting the front shoulder turned more. If possible left shoulder under the chin and back to the target. I'm not very flexible either but those concepts seem somewhat necessary. Otherwise for me it's swing away with the arms.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

In addition to getting less vertical, I like getting the front shoulder turned more. If possible left shoulder under the chin and back to the target. I'm not very flexible either but those concepts seem somewhat necessary. Otherwise for me it's swing away with the arms.
                    All great points !!!
                    And nothing wrong with the "arms swing". Lots of vids out there, showing how little speed the body adds to the mostly arms based swing, while in the process, saving the old "bod". And at the end, luckily we don't make the living playing golf, other then maybe an odd 25 cents skin game But saving the old back from injury and pain is PRICELESS, IMHO
                    Last edited by veryold; May 19, 2020, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Really enjoyed this discussion thus far. As a chiropractor by profession, it's well known that although we associate sport with health, the two are not always synonymous with one another - and as we approach the more elite echelon of said sports, the 'health' aspect does go down (often due to over specialization). A sport requires grooving a very specific pattern and doing so often with a lot of volume (reps). Hence why even professional sports strength coaches program "General Population" or GP blocks of training for their athletes - albeit it's often very early in their offseasons, far away from competition where specificity will not cost them a performance decrease. Tying this in with golf, the majority of us lack sufficient spinal motion and even capacity (training tolerance) to handle the various side bending, rotational and extension ranges that the swing may include. Now we add in centrifugal forces as we swing, and this momentum can easily 'yank' us into body positions that we lack tolerance for. Without overcomplicating things, think about prioritizing some spinal mobility and training work (build capacity). There's pre-requisites to golf/the swing and we tend to overlook that. Also, when we talk about shallowing the club, Shauheen Nakhjavani does an incredible job of teaching with a very sound depth of knowledge in biomechanics and prioritizing health of his athletes. He realizes that a lot of the positions we want to hit, come from rotating the hips, via the legs and knee bend. In doing so, the majority of a more immobile person's turn actually comes from pelvic rotation (while the shoulders/torso tends to just follow along). When these motions happen, the natural sequence of the down swing will aid in shallowing the club more naturally and more safely with 'health' in mind (as much as it can, when we are performing such a specific sport repeatedly).

Comment

^^^ Welcome to the forum, great first post.
                        WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
                        Titleist TS3 10.5 or Ping G410 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65

Titleist 818 H1 21 & 23 with Accra FX300H
                        Cobra One Length Utility 3i with
                        Steelfiber i110cw
                        Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 5i & 6i with Steelfiber i110cw
                        Mizuno MP-18 MMC 7-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
                        Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw
                        Cleveland RTX 54* & 58 Mid with Steelfiber i110cw
                        Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 177,233   Posts: 1,863,860   Members: 47,798   Active Members: 335
                        Welcome to our newest member, EricT.
                        Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                        X