Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golf Lessons - Instructor Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From some of his google reviews it sounds like mark wont fit my needs. One review said he wouldnt accept lessons unless you had at least 15k to spend...not planning on going pro here
    Driver------TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X 45.25"
    3W---------TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
    5W---------TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
    3i-----------TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
    Irons-------Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
    Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
    Putter------TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR

Comment

^^^
      Jason you are obviously not serious enough about improving, don't be a quitter, c'mon write that cheque

Love that you are still rolling with the MP-4 irons !
      I might put MP-5 back into my main bag for 7-PW next season.
      WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
      Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65 Stiff
      Titleist TS2 19H with Evenflow White 90 Stiff

Titleist 818 H1 21 & 23 with Accra FX300H Stiff
      Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 5i & 6i with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
      Mizuno MP-18 MMC 7-PW with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
      Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
      Cleveland RTX 54* & 58 Mid with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
      Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

Comment

Notbing better ive seen yet.

The.mp18s were meh and the mp20s even worse imo.

The new titleist 620mb however have caught my eye. Ive hit them and theyre gorgeous suprisingly forgiving and feel excellent. Dont think i wanna drop 2k on new irons tho considering its likely not much of an improvement.
        Driver------TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X 45.25"
        3W---------TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
        5W---------TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
        3i-----------TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
        Irons-------Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
        Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
        Putter------TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR

Comment

Just curious as to why people in this thread wouldn't embrace Mark? So what he's expensive you get what you pay for. Hence not the WOW and great on social media?

Comment

Originally posted by JSGolf View Post

Mark is extremely honest, that's probably more on your son then Mark.
            Mark didn't give Duane bad feedback, or a hard pill to swallow. It wasn't anything like that at all. More telling on you, assuming wrong.

I was sold on Mark and Duane wasn't. He wanted to retool his complete swing, in his own image on what an ideal golf swing should look like.
            Not build on what he already had developed or was natural to himself. Duane rejected his teaching philosophy, while I his dad was blinded. Pretty mature insight from a 15 year old.

Duane said it was too radical of a change, and he wouldn't go back. Eventually he went to Rob Akins (lifelong coach to David Toms) for 1 lesson, then dropped to a + handicap.
            Rob only changed 2 very minor swing faults, and within 20 minutes he was hitting a 3W and experiencing an explosion on the face of the club he hadn't felt in 7 years of play.
            2 games and a week later, he shot a tournament record '66', so I guess he didn't need a compete overhaul of his swing, just fix the 2 faults. Rob picked them out over 2 swings.

Nor do we subscribe to a million lessons, as the coach peels the onion one layer at the time. Instead we drove 1,000 miles for a single lesson with Rob Akins from Tennessee, USA.
            We would tell a new coach, if he has 2 or 20 swing faults, tell him the 2 or 20 during the 1st lesson, and Duane will figure out the order of correction and which ones he accepts/rejects.

I also mailed Mark several new books for FREE, which might help to integrate a new BoK into his coaching journey, and not so much as a thank you.
            Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
            Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
            Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/foru...-mark-evershed

years ago I used to practice 3-4 times a week at a 9hole par 3 course that used to exist on hwy50 just above Steele. It was probably the finest practice facility in the GTA at that time.
              Mark held his school inside the dome on that course and I saw him give lessons there. I had a lesson from his assistant ,who was a very good instructor, but Evershed's method was too mechanical for me and it didn't stick.His method borrowed a bit from Hogan, Norman and KellyTGM. Too much info for my brain to take to the T.
              Good to know he is still around though.
              Things change.

Cobra Fly Z+ ProjectX Handcrafted 50LZ
              Cal Steelhead 3,5 RCH99firm
              Cleve Halo 19*hybrid s300
              Cleve TA3 4-Pw TTX100
              Cleve 53,57 s300
              Cal Tuttle

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/foru...-mark-evershed
                years ago I used to practice 3-4 times a week at a 9hole par 3 course that used to exist on hwy50 just above Steele. It was probably the finest practice facility in the GTA at that time.
                Mark held his school inside the dome on that course and I saw him give lessons there. I had a lesson from his assistant ,who was a very good instructor, but Evershed's method was too mechanical for me and it didn't stick.His method borrowed a bit from Hogan, Norman and KellyTGM. Too much info for my brain to take to the T.
                Good to know he is still around though.
                Remember that place well Ultimate Golf; went there often for the range and short iron practice on that short 9 hole. Only had one refresher session with Mark, and like you was not my style, fortunately I always only booked one session when trying some new to me that is.
                Here's Mark fixing Tigers swing. https://youtu.be/yve9fyGS5MQ

and a photo of how that place used to look back in October 2004, the white patch being the dome..
                As is the norm around the GTA property prices wiped it off the map.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ultimate golf.png
Views:	273
Size:	614.0 KB
ID:	3071241

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                  Looking at getting some lessons this offseason.

Back in 2017 I took some lessons with Larry Cheung LarryCheung and he was fantastic great improvements. I enjoy his teaching style using feels vs trying to hit certain positions.

The obvious is "go see Larry again" which I may just do. However Larry's popularity has soared since then and it is much more difficult to get schedules lined up so I want to keep my options open and due to his high demand and skill he commands a high rate for lessons as he should.

Some others I have heard is Nick Starchuk NickStarchuk (my golfing buddy has been taking lessons from him and he gets great reviews on here)

What is Nicks style like? I like that Nick also does day schools in the summer.

Any other suggestions? I live in Bradford.

Thanks
                  Back to your original question.

Another thumbs up for Nick. Nick has taken me from the 20's down to a 4.5 (it would be lower if I spent any time chipping/pitching). But he is quite a ways from Bradford as Nick is in Burlington down by the lake in the winter. As mentioned, he would a little closer during the summer assuming he works out of TPC Toronto again.
                  Nick taught Larry. I think you will find a lot of similarities in approaches.

Comment

I got a lesson from Chris Mcclure at Rattlesnake and was impressed with his level of commitment. Helped me crawl my way out of rock bottom! Still texting him weekly with updates, I can vouch for him.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,534   Posts: 1,814,846   Members: 47,103   Active Members: 174
                    Welcome to our newest member, Jiceman.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                    X