Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driver issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver issues

Hey all,

I’m having some issues with hitting my driver was wondering if I could pick some of your brains been trying to work on using my driver normally I opt out for an iron or fairway wood due to a lack of distance from my driver. My 7iron is roughly 185 yards at 88 mph my 3 wood is roughly 240 yards then when I pull out the driver it’s 200 yards or if I’m lucky 230 currently using the Taylormade M3 driver hasn’t been fitted for any clubs everything has been bought off the shelf I have taken a few lessons recently stopped going due to getting caught up with work any suggestions or tips to try would be greatly appreciated.

Two different swing. With FW woods and irons you are striking the all on the way down. With modern drivers you need to be striking the ball on the way up, 2-3d up. In my experience, guys great at hitting down have a hard time hitting up. If you are hitting your 7, 185 yards at 88mph, you should be hitting the driver 290+

What's in my bag...

Driver: Titleist 905S; 9.5 degree with YS-7+ stiff shaft
    Fairway: Innovex RLS; 15 degree with R300 shaft
    Hybrids: Innovex Type-S; 18, 22, 26, 30 degree with R300 shafts
    Irons: Innovex Type-S GDT; 7-PW with R300 shafts
    Wedges: Innovex Type-S GDT; 50 degree with R300 shaft
    Cleveland 588DSG RTG+; 54 & 58 degree with TT wedge flex shafts
    Putter: Ping 1-a; 34.5"
    Ball: Top Flite Gamer and D2 Feel
    Note: Innovex gear fitted and built by Gord @ McMahon Golf

Comment

IMO...if you are able to hit a 7 iron 185 yards and a 3W 240 yards on a consistent basis...you must have a pretty skilled swing....as noted above...you should be hitting a driver approx 290....make no sense to me a golfer who can hit a 7 iron and 3W as you described can only hit a M3 (forgiving driver...I also play a M3) 200-230 yards....a club (driver) with the largest sweet spot in your bag.

Even as also noted above...even if you have a -ve AoA with the driver...IMO it still should be going at least 260.

Comment

Originally posted by falcon94 View Post
        Hey all,

I’m having some issues with hitting my driver was wondering if I could pick some of your brains been trying to work on using my driver.
        You should figure out whether not using a driver at all would affect your scoring.
        If you're hitting your 3W well, then maybe you don't need a driver.

If you really want those extra yards that a driver should give you (i.e. more than the 3W), then make sure that you're not sacrificing accuracy for that extra distance. It makes absolutely no sense to be 30 yards longer if your ball is in the trees half the time.
        Sage of the GTA...

Comment

No chance youre hitting a 7 iron 185y with only 88mph swing. Unless a super jacked 7i. Also as for 3w at 240y. Even if you had a bad swing theres no way your driver only goes 200 even with severe launch and spin issues.

Unless youre talking total distance and not carry. In which case its completely irrelevant your total distance.

if those are both carry distances then those dont jive up either because at 185y 7i (this is around pga tour top speed guys at 120mph driver) your 3w should be about 260ish.

Where did you get your numbers from?
          Last edited by Jasonp; Jan 12, 2020, 06:02 PM.
          Driver------TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X 45.25"
          3W---------TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
          5W---------TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
          3i-----------TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
          Irons-------Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
          Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
          Putter------TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
            No chance youre hitting a 7 iron 185y with only 88mph swing. Unless a super jacked 7i. Also as for 3w at 240y. Even if you had a bad swing theres no way your driver only goes 200 even with severe launch and spin issues.

Unless youre talking total distance and not carry. In which case its completely irrelevant your total distance.

if those are both carry distances then those dont jive up either because at 185y 7i (this is around pga tout tip speed guys at 120mph driver) your 3w should be about 260ish.

Where did you get your numbers from?
            LOL.

I think the only truth in the original post is that the OP hits a driver 200-230.
            I've played golf for 52 years and have never seen a player capable of consistently hitting straight 7 irons 185 and 3W's 240 struggle with a driver at 200-230....it just doesn't happen....it takes very good skills to hit those 7 iron and 3W distances.
            The only possibility, though likely improbable, is his M3 is a fake....but it would take 2 swings to know you bought a fake....again .....a golfer who can hit a 7 iron 185 would know a fake in a heart beat.

It's the OP's 1st post...likely just posting to get his post count up so he can post in the BST.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
              LOL.

I think the only truth in the original post is that the OP hits a driver 200-230.
              I've played golf for 52 years and have never seen a player capable of consistently hitting straight 7 irons 185 and 3W's 240 struggle with a driver at 200-230....it just doesn't happen....it takes very good skills to hit those 7 iron and 3W distances.
              The only possibility, though likely improbable, is his M3 is a fake....but it would take 2 swings to know you bought a fake....again .....a golfer who can hit a 7 iron 185 would know a fake in a heart beat.

It's the OP's 1st post...likely just posting to get his post count up so he can post in the BST.
              And sell his driver?

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
                And sell his driver?
                LMAO...candidate for post of the year!

Comment

LMAO...candidate for post of the year!
                  Second that!

The year is young, but that's a strong candidate.
                  Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Hahaha.

Third. Closed and sold! Winner winner!
                    Driver------TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X 45.25"
                    3W---------TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
                    5W---------TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
                    3i-----------TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
                    Irons-------Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
                    Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
                    Putter------TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR

Comment

My first thought was Digital Machine is back, lol

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
                        My first thought was Digital Machine is back, lol
                        Love Digital Machine and Diece....two TGN Hall of Fame posters..or was that POSER's?

This forum could use more entertainment...miss those guys!

Comment

Love Digital Machine and Diece....two TGN Hall of Fame posters..or was that POSER's?

This forum could use more entertainment...miss those guys!
                          I confess that I have not been following professional golf closely for at least two years.

Has Digital Machine won a Major yet?
                          Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

I confess that I have not been following professional golf closely for at least two years.

Has Digital Machine won a Major yet?
                            If I was a betting man...I think DM has upgraded his Rolls Royce vs. winning a major in the past 2 years.
                            Maybe DM will play the GTA Am tour in 2020 and those on this site who are GTA Am tour members will behold GREATNESS 1st hand...just sayin.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 174,256   Posts: 1,824,041   Members: 47,224   Active Members: 204
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lefty66.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                            X