No announcement yet.
Collapse

Staying on the TRAILING SIDE ???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to interrupt this very interesting discussion, but if I may go back to my OP for a second, I had a chance to "experiment" with this topic in the SIM, and FWIW, here are some of my conclusions:

1) Without a doubt, a "STILL" body throughout the swing, bee it on left or right side makes contact with the ball more consistent and repeatable.

2) Minimizing body weight movements, minimizes in turn the pressure and potential wearing of and injury to the key joints of the body.

3) ***BUT***, as in most things in life, there is a "negative" somewhere lurking, and in this case is a significant reduction in distance.

Just my 2c and, but probably worth 0c, LOL.

Cheers to all.

Comment

Originally posted by ctv1 View Post
      George Gankas is Mathew Wolfe's instructor. George also recently worked with Danny Lee on all of this. Here is a video with Shawn Clement describing how George was able to significantly speed up Danny's swing using these concepts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMfFLueXdQE
      Good video. Thanks. Ultimate "I told you so" from Shawn Clement on now popular swing technique, which he was criticized for 10 years ago.

Has to be the first time ever someone has used a sledge hammer to demonstrate a motion in a golf swing.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
        Watched the VID, and I may be out to lunch here, as usual, but to me, there is no better way to "THIN" the shots than this "jumping" motion he is advocating, not to mention potential injury to the leading knee joint, no ???
        Mayo's use of Jump is meant as a graphic figure of speech. The "Jump" doesn't happen till after ball contact is made. The body and arms rise is due to the continued acceleration through the contact zone.

at one time there was a teaching of stepping through with your trail foot. That tech advice really made a mess of the follow through because it is a linear expression of the body rather than what happens in a real swing which has a curving up.
        Last edited by bl8d; Mar 3, 2020, 09:09 AM.
        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

Mayo's use of Jump is meant as a graphic figure of speech. The "Jump" doesn't happen till after ball contact is made. The body and arms rise is due to the continued acceleration through the contact zone.
          OK, I am "getting it" - takes time and patience at this old age of mine

BUT, isn't the club in its simplest terms, being "pulled" upward by a pure and simple motion of rotation around the spine thru impact which "ELEVATES" the LEFT (LEADING) shoulder, sort of "automatically" and without the "jumping" action ?
          Last edited by veryold; Mar 3, 2020, 09:22 AM.

Comment

OK, I am "getting it" - takes time and patience at this old age of mine

BUT, isn't the club in its simplest terms, being "pulled" upward by a pure and simple motion of rotation around the spine thru impact which "ELEVATES" the LEFT (LEADING) shoulder, sort of "automatically" and without the "jumping" action ?
            if you want a graphic depiction of the "jump" finish google any of Moe Norman's swings on youtube.
            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

if you want a graphic depiction of the "jump" finish google any of Moe Norman's swings on youtube.
              Seen them ALL, especially his "VERTICAL DROP and HORIZONTAL THUG" .
              But if I may and I sincerely hope you don't take my "rebuttal" personally or anything, PLEASE and I am most probably TOTALLY MISSING MOE's move as you mentioned it, but doesn't Moe stay DOWN thru impact and with SQUAT/BENT LEADING knee and even at finish, no ?
              Last edited by veryold; Mar 3, 2020, 09:42 AM.

Comment

But if I may and I sincerely hope you don't take my "rebuttal" personally or anything, PLEASE and I am most probably TOTALLY MISSING MOE's move as you mentioned it, but doesn't Moe stay DOWN thru impact and with SQUAT/BENT LEADING knee and even at finish, no ?
                Keep in mind, VO....when Moe was asked if anyone else could do what he does, the answer was no.

Comment

Originally posted by par345 View Post

Keep in mind, VO....when Moe was asked if anyone else could do what he does, the answer was no.

and of course, his FAMOUS line: "THE FEELING OF GREATNESS", cannot but LOVE old Moe

Comment

"BUT, isn't the club in its simplest terms, being "pulled" upward by a pure and simple motion of rotation around the spine thru impact which "ELEVATES" the LEFT (LEADING) shoulder, sort of "automatically" and without the "jumping" action ?"

The simple answer is no this is not how the big hitters (Mathew, Dustin, Justin, etc.) are swinging. They are all using an aggressive upward jumping motion that takes place before impact.

But not all tour players use this motion to the same degree. There is no right or wrong here, just different approaches.

Comment

Originally posted by ctv1 View Post
                      But not all tour players use this motion to the same degree. There is no right or wrong here, just different approaches.
                      Personally speaking no right or wrong is a little too convenient....essentially saying I dunno.....imo...this PA for a capper is better approached as the trail shoulder dropping and pushing through which naturally will force the lead shoulder up....thinking in terms of "raising" the lead shoulder and handle leads to a chicken wing.....in what athletic endeavour (exclude swimming)do we pull to go forward...we are pushing

Comment

Moe had a very long flat bottom to his swing and his signature Rise is a post impact position, signifying he had accelerated through impact.
                        yes it is a difficult swing to emulate perfectly, with only a handful capable of doing it, and fewer still want to copy it for fear of being dated.
                        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Hey ALL

In my preparation for the new Season, I am working on my swing here in our little apartment, with a 2' long club, and trying to avoid the light fixtures in the process LOL.

Any ways, among few thing I'm "experimenting" here is the following swing move. It feels very unorthodox and while it "feels" OK here, no idea if it would work in "real life" ?

Instead of "regular" transferring weight from the trailing side to the leading side during downswing, I was trying to STAY ON THE TRAILING SIDE THROUGHOUT THE DOWNSWING. I am imagining that the ball position would be much more towards the trailing foot then in the "normal" swing. IIANM, there is an Australian Old Guy who is promoting something like this in his YT vids.

Anyone tried this, thoughts, comments ?

Cheers !!!
                          I think this is for you..

Get your FREE distance injection here: http://freedrivedistance.com/-------------------------------------------------------------This is a question that we g...

Comment

Originally posted by par345 View Post

I think this is for you..

Get your FREE distance injection here: http://freedrivedistance.com/-------------------------------------------------------------This is a question that we g...

Hey, this is REALLY NICE OF YOU - interesting vid and will study it.
                            ATB and CHEERS

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X