Collapse

Backspin or roll it to the hole-Pipeline Moe

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backspin or roll it to the hole-Pipeline Moe

Moe Norman was an advocate of rolling the ball to the hole. He said he hated backspin as he could not control it. Keep in mind that in his days a pitching wedge had 50* of loft.
    Nowadays most pros use backspin. From watching the video below I am thinking that he certainly had a valid point.
    Great footage of Moe Norman hitting wedges

He was pitching to a pin position with some green to work with AND THE GREEN SLOPING BACK TO FRONT after the pin, so YES in that instance, "ROLLING" is an option.
    But not applicable AT ALL if the conditions are reversed.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
      He was pitching to a pin position with some green to work with AND THE GREEN SLOPING BACK TO FRONT after the pin, so YES in that instance, "ROLLING" is an option.
      But not applicable AT ALL if the conditions are reversed.
      He could hit it low or high on command depending on the situation. But he did not rely on backspin to get it close.

Comment

Can’t believe he didn’t sink one, it looked like he had a small bucket! Crazy performance. For me, I don’t make consistent enough contact to prefer one method to another, some spin madly, others have little spin. Maybe I should buy an old wedge with worn grooves so no shots spin and are more predictable?

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post
          . Maybe I should buy an old wedge with worn grooves so no shots spin and are more predictable?
          Apparently he shaved the bounces of his wedges to 0 degree. I never get tired of watching him. And one more thing of note: He sure didn't waste any time. Just like a piston.

Comment

It's amazing to see how quickly he hits it. No time wasted. Just ground the club and start your backswing.

Anyways, there's not a lot we can take from this IMO, as only Moe could hit it like Moe.

I have utterly unpredictable spin. The only constant is that the most spin shows up on shots that land short, and the least is on the ones that landed past the pin.
            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
            ...Iggy

Comment

I would think most pros could call up the shot they wanted. Yes, perhaps spin most of the time, but if roll was needed, I would think they could do that too. If Moe preferred roll, that's his go to shot, but I bet he could spin it too.

The only time I can generate spin is if I press hard enough on the gas pedal and make my tires squeal. When it comes to golf, I can't call up a spin if I tried to, and usually roll stuff onto to the green. This usually works unless I somehow put a spin on the ball and check up short.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post

Apparently he shaved the bounces of his wedges to 0 degree. I never get tired of watching him. And one more thing of note: He sure didn't waste any time. Just like a piston.
                And not one divot, despite hitting - what - 30 balls? Greens superintendents dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post

I had the occasion to hold two of Moe's wedges, an Accuform and a Wilson R-90. They both had plenty of bounce. He may have had others with zero bounce.
                  In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                  Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                  TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                  TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                  PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                  TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                  Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                  TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned;n3121261[B
                    ]I would think most pros could call up the shot they wanted. [/B]Yes, perhaps spin most of the time, but if roll was needed, I would think they could do that too. If Moe preferred roll, that's his go to shot, but I bet he could spin it too.

The only time I can generate spin is if I press hard enough on the gas pedal and make my tires squeal. When it comes to golf, I can't call up a spin if I tried to, and usually roll stuff onto to the green. This usually works unless I somehow put a spin on the ball and check up short.
                    Good points, with everything else Moe could do with a golf ball, it seems likely he could spin it at will.

One thing that always bugs me watching the pros is how many times the announcers say "he's going to have a lot of trouble controlling the spin from that lie" - usually from the rough. I've always wondered why they don't hit it shorter and account for some roll?
                    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                    ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post

I had the occasion to hold two of Moe's wedges, an Accuform and a Wilson R-90. They both had plenty of bounce. He may have had others with zero bounce.
                      Could be. Anyway that's what this guy says:https://youtu.be/XPnRW4Pdnk8?t=6m13s

Comment

I have gamed older Nike VR Pro Forged wedges ( G,S,L ) for the last 8-9 years, but switched out the Gap to a JPX-900 Forged 3 years ago. I never was much of a spin generator, and relied on high launch / steep-descent to keep my shots from running out. These Nike wedges ( S, L ) are now quite worn, even though I replaced them with the same NOS Nikes about 4 years ago.

For this season I have new RTX4 54 & 58 mid-bounce.
                        I will be curious if these start generating me backspin, and if I find that unpredictability to be annoying / detrimental.
                        Last edited by ARL67; Mar 22, 2020, 09:16 AM.
                        🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                        Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                        Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                        Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
                        Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                        Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                        Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                        Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Good points, with everything else Moe could do with a golf ball, it seems likely he could spin it at will.

One thing that always bugs me watching the pros is how many times the announcers say "he's going to have a lot of trouble controlling the spin from that lie" - usually from the rough. I've always wondered why they don't hit it shorter and account for some roll?
                          The only time I have ever had visible verifiable spin on a ball is from a sand trap...no club face ball contact....but a fast open face creating spin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

I think they're referring to the unpredictability vs a lack of control. The spin they generate is dependent on how much grass they get between the grooves and the ball and there is no real way of knowing that. This is what they mean when they talk about a flyer lie.
                            What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
                            TM Rescue 17*
                            TM M2 4-AW
                            TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
                            Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges are the best for maintaining spin out of the rough and wet grass. Check TXG for the test run.
                              In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                              Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                              TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                              TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                              PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                              TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                              Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                              TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X