/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Dropping the club 'into the slot' (to not slice)

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping the club 'into the slot' (to not slice)

So in my nearly 10+ yrs of golfing (+ some lessons and books* along the way) and thinking two yrs ago when I scored in the 80's that I figured things out and thought I got rid of my slice forever (especially with the driver), BOOM - golf happens... When things go or start off well, POOF - they can go in an instant! (At least for me - possibly others?).

There's too many instances I can recall of this happening in golf, with the latest being starting off a round par-par-bogie-birdie (so even after 4 holes) but then POOF - ended up in the mid 90's after 18 holes (ugh).

That said, I thought I figured out yrs ago how to drop the club into the slot (as in hitting a draw or straight shot); I've implemented sooo many different drills/thoughts/tricks & tips in my yrs as follows:

- stronger grip
    - feet together drill
    - focusing on my right hand facing down on the downswing
    - the hammer/pump drill
    - right-trigger (or index) finger NOT wrapped around the club
    - making sure all/most of my weight is on my left foot at impact/follow through
    - trying to keep my back to the target/head behind the ball throughout most of the swing
    - right foot back/draw stance
    etc.

and it seems that things would work for a bit but then if something distracts me, all that stuff goes out the door and I end up either pulling/coming over-the-top/slicing or missing the ball entirely and whiffing.

In a round, I'm definitely capable of hitting draws or straight shots but not on command - I'll set up my stance/grip to attempt my best to do it, but then usually (like maybe 2/3rds of the time), I either fade, push-fade, pull or slice the ball.

So I suppose my question is - to those that have figured out how to drop the club into the slot properly, what do you think about or practice prior to the swing? I think my problem is I tend to have too many swing thoughts during a round; especially after a bad shot and am hoping to maybe just focus on a few or couple, if even. That way, the hope is maybe my draw/straight shots happen moreso than compared to my usual fade/slice shot.

Cheers,

TMAzn

*books = Ben Hogan's 5 Lessons, Harvey Penick's Little Red Book, Zen Golf: Mastering the Mental Game

I am note a coach or instructor so the following are only from my personal experience. When I start to get poor contact, I want to feel my left side “bump” or move slightly forward in the downswing while keeping my right elbow in tight to my body and my point of impact is at 7 o’clock on the ball (I am right-handed swing). I find with me that this will promote a straight or slight draw ball flight as it promotes an inside-to-out downswing. Good luck.
    - Sun Mountain H2NO Cart Bag
    - Callaway Epic Flash driver
    - Cobra F8+ 3/4 Fairway Wood
    - Cobra F8 3 Hybrid
    - Srixon U85 4 utility
    - 2019 Callaway Apex Pro irons (5-PW)
    - RTX-4 wedges 50, 54 & 58
    - Odyssey Stroke Lab 10 putter

Comment

For me it is trying to match my forward swing speed to my backswing speed. My backswing is slow/moderate speed and I make sure to complete my backswing. Then I try to swing forward with the same speed - which is counter intuitive and takes some practice. What I feel is that for a fraction of a second my arms are “ free falling” into a slot and then I have no control as the club rips through impact.
      I try to keep my head behind the ball through impact until it comes up naturally with the swing.

Comment

Originally posted by TMAzng01f3R View Post
        So in my nearly 10+ yrs of golfing (+ some lessons and books* along the way) and thinking two yrs ago when I scored in the 80's that I figured things out and thought I got rid of my slice forever (especially with the driver), BOOM - golf happens... When things go or start off well, POOF - they can go in an instant! (At least for me - possibly others?).

There's too many instances I can recall of this happening in golf, with the latest being starting off a round par-par-bogie-birdie (so even after 4 holes) but then POOF - ended up in the mid 90's after 18 holes (ugh).

That said, I thought I figured out yrs ago how to drop the club into the slot (as in hitting a draw or straight shot); I've implemented sooo many different drills/thoughts/tricks & tips in my yrs as follows:

- stronger grip
        - feet together drill
        - the hammer/pump drill
        - trying to keep my back to the target/head behind the ball throughout most of the swing
        etc.

and it seems that things would work for a bit but then if something distracts me, all that stuff goes out the door and I end up either pulling/coming over-the-top/slicing or missing the ball entirely and whiffing.

In a round, I'm definitely capable of hitting draws or straight shots but not on command - I'll set up my stance/grip to attempt my best to do it, but then usually (like maybe 2/3rds of the time), I either fade, push-fade, pull or slice the ball.

So I suppose my question is - to those that have figured out how to drop the club into the slot properly, what do you think about or practice prior to the swing? I think my problem is I tend to have too many swing thoughts during a round; especially after a bad shot and am hoping to maybe just focus on a few or couple, if even. That way, the hope is maybe my draw/straight shots happen moreso than compared to my usual fade/slice shot.

Cheers,

TMAzn

*books = Ben Hogan's 5 Lessons, Harvey Penick's Little Red Book, Zen Golf: Mastering the Mental Game

an effective old school swing thought was to put the right hand into the right side pants pocket on the downswing.
        while this sounds idiotically and overly simple ,the underlying message was that you wouldn't be able to do that if your hips cleared before your right hand came down to the hip.
        things change

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

an effective old school swing thought was to put the right hand into the right side pants pocket on the downswing.
          while this sounds idiotically and overly simple ,the underlying message was that you wouldn't be able to do that if your hips cleared before your right hand came down to the hip.
          I saw a youtube similar to this last year and I was trying to cure over the top. The video explained trying to put your right elbow in your right pocket. It worked for me and if I set up with an iron shot to the pin, the ball would go out a bit left and start to fade in, land to the left of the pin and spin hard towrds the flag...I felt like a pro for about a month...and now I have lost it!! That never worked with my driver except to cause fades and slices.... My swing is pretty messed up lol
          Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

Comment

Originally posted by caddishack View Post

I saw a youtube similar to this last year and I was trying to cure over the top. The video explained trying to put your right elbow in your right pocket. It worked for me and if I set up with an iron shot to the pin, the ball would go out a bit left and start to fade in, land to the left of the pin and spin hard towrds the flag...I felt like a pro for about a month...and now I have lost it!! That never worked with my driver except to cause fades and slices.... My swing is pretty messed up lol
            Keeping my right elbow in has helped me big time this year. My ball striking has improved overall but especially with the driver and fairways. Now if I didn't take 43 putts yesterday ...

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

Now if I didn't take 43 putts yesterday ...
              Ouch, that would hurt

Comment

Larry Cheung has some excellent teaching videos available for free on youtube. His approach promotes a looping action of the arms which encourages a push draw shot shape.

Comment

If I take the club back right I don’t have think about it on the way down. I have other things to do

Take a lesson. I wish I did mine long time ago

Comment

Originally posted by TMAzng01f3R View Post

- stronger grip
                    - feet together drill
                    - the hammer/pump drill
                    etc.
                    I have been taking lessons with David Fritz for a few years now and he is big on the slot and squat swing. Still training myself to be able to repeat it more than I do but he had great drills to make everything come together.

Here is a video from Luke Donald (even though more about the squat/ground force) the start of the video talks about the feeling of the slot positions and how to get there.

Worth a watch

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-pTCdi...on_share_sheet
                    In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
                    Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
                    Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
                    Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
                    Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
                    Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
                    Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
                    --------
                    Home Course - Clublink

Comment

Dropping it ‘into the Slot’ depends entirely on 2 things: the dimensions of your body & the range of motion of your right shoulder (assuming you’re a right handed Golfer).

For what it’s worth, only 10% of Golfers that get biomechanically screened actually swing on the shaft plane (Golfers naturally swing on either the Shoulder Plane, Elbow Plane, Shaft Plane, or any combination of 2 of these) because only 10% of Golfers have Forearms that are shorter than their Upper Arms.

And guys like Rickie Fowler, Matt Wolff, and Sergio Garcia who get the club super deep into that slot position, are able to because they have a greater than normal range of right shoulder external rotation.

So the good news is that it's ok that you can't drop it into the slot, most people aren't anatomically built to!! The swing plane you swing on will be based on your build/biomechanics. Best thing to do is to go get screened. It takes maybe 10 minutes to go thru a biomechanics screen. A TPI range of motion screen wouldn’t hurt either.

Some Golfers swing on a steeper plane because they have both longer Wingspans than their Height, and longer Forearms than their Upper Arms (Martin Kaymer). When they try to flatten their plane, they can't find consistency. This happened to Kaymer after he went to world No. 1 and won the 2010 PGA. He tried to flatten his plane to hit a draw for Augusta and his game went to crap. So he reverted back to what his body was more attuned to and voilą! He returned to form, which culminated in a dominating performance at the 2014 U.S. Open.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X