/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Ground driver at address, why does it hit above the ground and not at it?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground driver at address, why does it hit above the ground and not at it?

I tee up my ball so half of it peeks over my driver face while its grounded. Yet the physics of it (on a good shot) dictate that the club will hit the ball above the ground regardless of how I've addressed it.

What causes the club to hit above the ground and not at it?

If I start hovering the driver at address, will I have to tee up higher?
    Last edited by ChiGGz; Jul 31, 2020, 04:59 PM.

Originally posted by ChiGGz View Post
    I tee up my ball so half of it peeks over my driver face while its grounded. Yet the physics of it (on a good shot) dictate that the club will hit the ball above the ground regardless of how I've addressed it.

Your clubhead will (or will not) hit the ground because of your swing path on the downswing.

Hovering the clubhead at address will absolutely not guarantee that the club won't hit the ground.

If you find that you're hitting the ground with your driver (the one club in the bag where that should really never happen) you may want to work on shallowing your swing plane so that it's more horizontal and less vertical.
    Sage of the GTA...

Comment

There is no simple answer to your questions. The distance of your driver above the ground at impact is affected by many things. For example if your elbows are slightly bent at address but fully extended at impact then the club could be closer to the ground or further away from you or some combination of those two. The same can be said of your knee flex. Increase it and you may hot the ground, decrease it and you may hit it thin. Altering your spine angle has the same possible effects.
      If you want so start hovering the driver then you must make some small change in your setup that will affect everything else.Only you can figure out what will happen as you make changes.
      Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Comment

The reason for hovering the ball at address is to ensure your takeaway is a smooth uninterrupted motion into the back swing.

you do this with every club, including the putter.
        things change

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
          The reason for hovering the ball at address is to ensure your takeaway is a smooth uninterrupted motion into the back swing.

you do this with every club, including the putter.
          Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone hover a club at address. There may be some exceptions (hello bunkers!) but other than that... um... no.

There is/maybe a sort of lift-and-takeaway (no, not lift-and-separate) that is part of the backswing, but TTBOMK the club sole starts on the ground.

The thing is to learn how your particular takeaway and swing gets the clubface back to where you want it at impact. I play with a guy who sets up his driver so that half the ball is beyond the toe of his driver. He's a single-digit player so it works for him. Drives me nuts to see it.
          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
          ...Iggy

Comment

In order to hit the ball on the upswing, the driver head has to bottom out before reaching the ball. Imagine where the club head needs to bottom out and try using that as your address position. It will be a few inches behind the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone hover a club at address. There may be some exceptions (hello bunkers!) but other than that... um... no.

There is/maybe a sort of lift-and-takeaway (no, not lift-and-separate) that is part of the backswing, but TTBOMK the club sole starts on the ground.

The thing is to learn how your particular takeaway and swing gets the clubface back to where you want it at impact. I play with a guy who sets up his driver so that half the ball is beyond the toe of his driver. He's a single-digit player so it works for him. Drives me nuts to see it.
              Jack Nicklaus never grounded his club (reportedly).

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post

Jack Nicklaus never grounded his club (reportedly).
                Kuchar hovers aswell. Including his irons.

Comment

hovering ensures you don't incur a penalty on yourself.

If, through the green, you rest the club behind the ball and cause it to lose its original position ,it costs you a stroke.( resting your club behind the ball when its lying on pine needles and your grounded club moves a remote needle that pulls the ball free from its location)

things change

Comment

Originally posted by ChiGGz View Post

What causes the club to hit above the ground and not at it?

Try it. Some like it some don't. I don't.

Lots of other stuff including ball position, angle of attack, ball flite are gonna be more important in determining best tee height for you than whether you ground or hover at address.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasingPar View Post
                      In order to hit the ball on the upswing, the driver head has to bottom out before reaching the ball. Imagine where the club head needs to bottom out and try using that as your address position. It will be a few inches behind the ball.
                      Fair enough, but I think the OP was considered about hitting the ground (as opposed to the low point of his swing path).
                      Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                        Fair enough, but I think the OP was considered about hitting the ground (as opposed to the low point of his swing path).
                        I think the OP was wondering why his impact position doesn't match his address position. To put it simply, they don't have to match.

The technique I suggested keeps the club head on the ground at address. It mimics the bottoming out position, so if the the player feels comfortable at address, he thinks about returning to that bottom out position in his downswing.

Another possible technique hovers the club directly behind the ball. In this case, it mimics the impact position. If the player feels comfortable at address, he thinks about returning to that impact position in his downswing.

Comment

I'd say the driver doesn't ground out because you're trying to hit the ball and not the ground. If you teed the ball up 6" and ground the club at address, I think you'd still hit the ball and not the ground on your downswing because the ball is the target. The muscles know what they're supposed to do and make lots of little adjustments to accomplish that. It's like when I clear my hips too fast, and suddenly my downswing gets very 'handsy,' causing me to over compensate by rolling over my right wrist, and I snap hook it. Very little of that is conscious motion, but my body making small adjustments due to muscle memory trying to square up the face at impact.
                          We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                          Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                          Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                          Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                          Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                          Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                          Srixon Star XV
                          Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Your address position is never your impact position, so do whatever feels right to end up hitting the ball successfully.
                            WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
                            Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65
                            Titleist TS2 19* hybrid with Evenflow White 90

Titleist 818 H1 21* hybrid with Accra FX300H
                            Titleist 818 H1 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
                            Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
                            Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw
                            Cleveland RTX 54* & 58* Mid with Steelfiber i110cw
                            Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

Comment

Originally posted by ChasingPar View Post

I think the OP was wondering why his impact position doesn't match his address position. To put it simply, they don't have to match.

The technique I suggested keeps the club head on the ground at address. It mimics the bottoming out position, so if the the player feels comfortable at address, he thinks about returning to that bottom out position in his downswing.

Another possible technique hovers the club directly behind the ball. In this case, it mimics the impact position. If the player feels comfortable at address, he thinks about returning to that impact position in his downswing.
                              I am toying with the idea of hovering vs grounding the club (but about 0.5-1" behind).
                              I ground it with a bit of gap behind the ball with the idea that I am suppose to catch the ball on the upswing.
                              Let me know if I am thinking wrong that way.

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 179,993   Posts: 1,886,012   Members: 48,501   Active Members: 489
                              Welcome to our newest member, Atc20.
                              Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X