Collapse

Phobia of hitting houses causing erratic swings

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phobia of hitting houses causing erratic swings

My home course is Millcroft which is loaded with houses. Most times I can block it out of mind and keep it straight. But as soon as I spray a shot, my brain panics and I keep anticipating it will happen again on the next hole.

Today I hooked my tee shot on #1 and for the rest of the round my slice was vicious trying to over compensate. Then I’d go back to hooking it 2 holes later.

Planning on putting in some range time, but anything else I can do? Do I need a book about mental focus on the course?

Mind you, I shot 76 there last weekend and 85 today. So I know I can score, but my brain was all over the map today.

You picked probably the worst course to play often lol. That first hole is lethal for people with a tendancy to hook. I usually hit 3w off that tee and that's the one club in my bag that I have a snap hook with every now and again. So I intentionally will push it, so there's no chance of killing some poor homeowner.

If you think "dont hit it in the lake", odds are you're going in the lake.

Best thing you can do is have pre shot routine that includes picturing the shot you're about to make, not the one you shouldn't. This pre shot routine should be practiced at the range until it's the same every time. I have found this has helped my putting immensely also.

I'm playing Millcroft this Friday

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jass View Post
      You picked probably the worst course to play often lol. That first hole is lethal for people with a tendancy to hook. I usually hit 3w off that tee and that's the one club in my bag that I have a snap hook with every now and again. So I intentionally will push it, so there's no chance of killing some poor homeowner.

If you think "dont hit it in the lake", odds are you're going in the lake.

Best thing you can do is have pre shot routine that includes picturing the shot you're about to make, not the one you shouldn't. This pre shot routine should be practiced at the range until it's the same every time. I have found this has helped my putting immensely also.

I'm playing Millcroft this Friday
      Thanks, solid advice. I think that’s the problem, I psych myself out and picture myself spraying my tee shot. I need some range time and work on my routine for sure. Club championship on Wednesday, so I got some work to do.

Comment

I can relate. Grew up in Markland Woods and we were members at the golf course. Houses just about everywhere and my girlfriend (and future wife), there home backed onto the 17th green. Any home but that home. Thankfully no broken windows or anything similar happened, strictly luck on my part.
        Unfortunately, no advice as luck only saved me from many disasters.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
        X