/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

What do you use to Chip? Having trouble getting it out of the rough close to the pin.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benz View Post
    64-degree wedge. The loft allows you to make a reasonably aggressive swing without fear that the ball will go very far.
    I guess the OP didn’t ask what we suggest, he asked what we use. But man, a 64 degree would be an interesting club for someone having trouble with this shot. That club must make for some awesome flop shots, yes?

Depending on how deep the rough is, I’ve been having tremendous success chipping with my 8 iron. Further out than 15 yards though I wouldn’t suggest it. Heard something about high cappers should focus on just getting the ball on the green. It’s not a chip shot tho, I use a putter swing and typically have the toe pointed down. Used it almost exclusively for those types of shots last round and surprised how easily I could control the distance.
    – Greg

Comment

Play the shot that your mind’s eye sees. Consider, trajectory and spin. remember that the lie will ultimately decide what kind of shot you can hit which in turn will determine the club selection. Are you trying to throw it at the hole with lots of spin, are you hitting something that runs out? These shots are largely feel based.

I’ve never understood how someone can just grab a 60 automatically without assessing a myriad of factors. Choose the correct tool for the shot.
      99% of the instruction you read in books and magazines, see on TV, or receive from your coach is correct. It’s just that most of it doesn’t apply to you - Mike Adams

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post

I guess the OP didn’t ask what we suggest, he asked what we use. But man, a 64 degree would be an interesting club for someone having trouble with this shot. That club must make for some awesome flop shots, yes?

Depending on how deep the rough is, I’ve been having tremendous success chipping with my 8 iron. Further out than 15 yards though I wouldn’t suggest it. Heard something about high cappers should focus on just getting the ball on the green. It’s not a chip shot tho, I use a putter swing and typically have the toe pointed down. Used it almost exclusively for those types of shots last round and surprised how easily I could control the distance.
        Yes, and I use it as my go-to club out of bunkers, too.
        Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Divot Tool View Post
          Play the shot that your mind’s eye sees. Consider, trajectory and spin. remember that the lie will ultimately decide what kind of shot you can hit which in turn will determine the club selection. Are you trying to throw it at the hole with lots of spin, are you hitting something that runs out? These shots are largely feel based.

I’ve never understood how someone can just grab a 60 automatically without assessing a myriad of factors. Choose the correct tool for the shot.
          Good valid points.

However, many players feel more comfortable taking much the same shot for every short situation. If they're always making similar shots, they tend to become proficient.
          Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Divot Tool View Post

I'm in your camp now too but have spent a few years playing exclusively 1 club around the green when I was 'training my hands'. I could hit anything from a low runner I now use an 8i or PW for (depending on the lie) to a flop shot I use a 60 for if short sided and pretty much anything in between. Just had to work on how to set up for different shots and how to use my hands to manipulate the clubface. I could see people doing the same thing with their 60*.
            But even tho I can play just about every shot with my 56 or 60, there are def tools better suited to certain shots that will raise the success rate that little bit more than just one clubbing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowdon View Post
              Hello everyone,

The shot that frustrates me the most is the chip shot in the higher rough approxiametly 15-30 yards to the pin where I can't putt it. I bought a 55 degree square strike to try out for fun, but it DID NOT do the trick.....What loft should I be using? What club do you usually have?

Thanks for advice in advance!
              I use a high toe LW Ball in higher rough sits up and can easy Duff and get too much air and not enough ball I like high toe as there is more surface to make contact

Comment

[QUOTE=dlam;n3252552]

I have been using the C3i 65degree wedge (as seen advertised on the Golf Channel) it really works!
                pops the ball up and very little roll.

Comment

I typically chip with a slightly open 9 iron if I have some green to run with. If I don't have space, it's a pitch with a 57* wedge.
                  things change

Comment

I chip with my 56 degree wedge, I find that it gives me the ability to get some spin if desired, and because of the loft I have some room for error in case I hit it too hard. I can give it a firm stroke.

Comment

Been thinking a lot about my chip shots, not just because of this thread, but because I’ve made big improvements lately. Getting the ball onto the green and rolling has produced better results than chipping the ball up and (trying) to land close.

I like this article that talks about using different clubs...
                      “Since our goal in chipping is to roll the ball along the ground as much as possible, it is important to understand the air-time/ground-time ratios of chip shots hit with different clubs.
                      • When you chip with a pitching wedge, the ball will fly half the distance to the hole and roll half the distance.
                      • When you chip with an 8-iron the ball will fly one-third of the distance to the hole and roll two-thirds.
                      • When you chip with a 6-iron the ball will fly one-fourth of the distance and roll three-fourths.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	FF111D11-6F91-4E2C-90C7-32EDF1B54962.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	3253054

Full article here
                      https://www.liveabout.com/learn-the-...method-1564406
                      – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by SmoothBomber View Post
                        Martin Hall from School of Golf offers 3 options for chipping from rough at 1:45 of this vid. The bunker style shot as suggested above, the old school 'cock and pop' and good ole putter wedge (which I love and always gets a laugh outa ppl I'm paired with that never seen it before)
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rst7MVqW1Kg

This guy here suggests something not often heard for getting steeper without being overly handsy...close the stance to promote a steeper angle of attack as the common open stance promotes a shallow AoA
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMprqWm2y04
                        I have never used a "cock and pop" method chip. I do see people doing it - but that seems to be their default method on any shot near the green. If anything, most instructors seem to teach avoidance of wrist action in a chip and stubbing the leading edge into the ground.

To me, the putter wedge "cock and pop" almost seems like a counter intuitive move invented by someone who has already given up on the hole, or who took his putter out of the bag and not realizing how bad his lie was until he got to the ball and uses the putter only because they can't be bothered to go back to the bag to pick up a proper wedge.

Anyway, Martin's last words on these is to make sure you practice these shots before you take them to the course.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Ottawa's own Kevin Haime with chipping tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQvIPM4qu0

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post

I have never used a "cock and pop" method chip. I do see people doing it - but that seems to be their default method on any shot near the green. If anything, most instructors seem to teach avoidance of wrist action in a chip and stubbing the leading edge into the ground.

To me, the putter wedge "cock and pop" almost seems like a counter intuitive move invented by someone who has already given up on the hole, or who took his putter out of the bag and not realizing how bad his lie was until he got to the ball and uses the putter only because they can't be bothered to go back to the bag to pick up a proper wedge.

Anyway, Martin's last words on these is to make sure you practice these shots before you take them to the course.

lol ye, putter wedge is pretty much reserved for when you think you are on the green but aren't and the cart is far away in a non serious round (but i do love it).
                            I've actually found the cock and pop to be quite useful in heavy rough and use it when the lie is brutal. Having it in the bag has def saved me some strokes. You don't really stab the leading edge into the ground but u do give it a little bit of a thump with the bounce.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X