Collapse

Leaning shaft forward when putting

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaning shaft forward when putting

• Most instructor/s thought me I should putt 90degree from floor, ie no shaft lean. My instructors told me putter head has small loft and hitting the ball at 90deg (ie bottom of swing) give best chance to get the ball roll asap. Although this makes sense, I noticed ball roll straighter if i lean my shaft slight forward. Any thoughts
    Thxs

You kind of answered your own question. If you putter has a bit of loft then a forward press (shaft lean) will negate that loft and your ball rolls better negating spin or skipping in the turf.

If you feel you have a consistent stroke you can go for a putter fitting and see what loft/putter works best for your stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by eqtrend View Post
      • Most instructor/s thought me I should putt 90degree from floor, ie no shaft lean. My instructors told me putter head has small loft and hitting the ball at 90deg (ie bottom of swing) give best chance to get the ball roll asap. Although this makes sense, I noticed ball roll straighter if i lean my shaft slight forward. Any thoughts
      Thxs
      lean depends entirely on the hosel type. Most hosel design already has the shaft lean forward through its offset where the face is about 1/2 the ball dia. behind the shaft.
      The Bulls-eye and Cushin straight shafted type were popular years ago but lost out to the Ping offset hosel Anser styling because the balanced heel-toe weight distribution favoured the "drag" stroke made possible by the shaft leading the face.
      Last edited by bl8d; Jun 11, 2021, 09:00 AM.
      things change

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
      X