Collapse

"STRONG HANDS" in Golf ???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
    my top hand is always neutral. I shape my shots with the bottom hand by setting it slightly weak , or slightly strong. KISS.
    Same here, EXCEPT due to my trailing side disability, I rely on the LEADING HAND GRIP to do the same function and it works quite well.
    Last edited by veryold; Jul 22, 2021, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
      Same here, EXCEPT due to my trailing side disability, I rely on the LEADING HAND GRIP to do the same function and it works quite well.
      given your disability, just keep doing what you're doing as it works for you.

I'm a Tomasello belieber, hence my right hand is my control hand.
      things change

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
        The "grip it like bird" is a flock of shiat.
        Jackie Burke Jr. had a good line about Snead saying to hold the club like you are holding a bird.

"When Sam tells people he holds the club like it's a bird, he forgets to mention it's an eagle".

He's got a lot of great stories about guys from that era that he shared on Steve Elkington's youtube show.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

I'd always been told to grip the club lightly. It's why I bother cleaning and/or replacing my grips. So I don't have to strangle the club.

So this is very different info you are providing...
          Many have been taught to grip lightly because most people struggle to have fluidity in their wrists unless they grip lightly. Then as they swing, their intention to keep gripping the club results in subconscious adjustments to grip pressure throughout the swing to meet that intention which results in varying pressure and significantly tighter grip at impact with ball/ground compared to at address. These are faster and more efficient than anything we can consciously control and ideally leave the wrists working fluidly. How all these subconscious adjustments are made is explained in motor control theory by 'the wineglass effect' named after the study that discovered it by seeing how people maintain their grip on a glass of wine when the intention is to just hold it (spoiler alert: upon micro slippage of the glass, adjustment to grip pressure are made in less time than it would take for nerve signals to travel to the brain and back....yay sports nerding). This effect is seen in grips in many sports and probably most obvious in golf and billiards in which most players could not begin to tell you how their fingers dance around the butt end of the cue the way they do, that just happens without them giving it any thought at all. So really 'grip it lightly' was never meant to have you gripping it lightly the entire time, just at the beginning, with the intention of maintaining leverage/control over the club taking care of bringing in the required increase in grip pressure without locking up your wrists. So it does work and many pros swore by it including Greg Norman who said in his instruction video that at address you should grip lightly enough that someone could pull the club out of your hands and to trust your hands to hold on to the club and they will tighten when they need to. But for every teacher that has taught this, there is another calling it crazy garbage advice (including Phil Mickelson who loves to call anything that doesn't align with his ideas 'crazy'). While not giving the entire story, grip it lightly isn't as bad advice as the common interpretation to stay light throughout. There is a much better option explained by David Lee which I subscribe to myself though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8DZlE5-9ms

I've shared this video on grip here several times but in case you missed it, this is David Lee of Gravity Golf on the grip and how to stretch the fingers onto the club for max leverage. This allows you to grip firmly while leaving the wrists fluid.
          Last edited by SmoothBomber; Jul 23, 2021, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
          X