How do I correct moving off the line

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I correct moving off the line

Hey Guys,

So here is my swing with a PW today. I had my kid capture the video and while it was a good strike you can see at around 9 seconds in the video I am already six inches away from my butt line to where I started the swing. I don't feel this happening and I am not sure what is causing this. I getting lessons but these lesson is in a week and this driving me crazy. Anyway I am just getting back into a golf after a 20 year hiatus. I couldn't break 90 back then and now its no different. Shot a cool 10 over on a super short course for nine holes. Ugh I suck....maybe I will quit for another 20 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSKY4DMWFwI
    Last edited by BigK1975; Sep 14, 2021, 03:22 AM.

Yes, you early extend but I would focus on improving your grip, unless there are physical limitations. Plenty of quality YouTube videos to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by RutgersKev View Post
      Yes, you early extend but I would focus on improving your grip, unless there are physical limitations. Plenty of quality YouTube videos to choose from.
      Can't comment on the swing, but as far as grip goes, here is my favorite from Padraig Harrington. Might be worth a look to compare with yours.

A PROPER GRIP | Paddy's Golf Tip #2 | Padraig Harrington - Bing video

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

What is wrong with the grip? I thought that was okay.

Comment

Originally posted by BigK1975 View Post
          What is wrong with the grip? I thought that was okay.
          It is a bit difficult to discern given the size of the video image, (so if I got this wrong, my apologies) but when you are in the address position, it seems to show the thumbnail of your right hand pointing back in the direction of the camera, indicating a very strong grip position of your hands on the club.

Here is another video on the ins and outs of strong vs. neutral grips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=254atmbabFg

You should be able to compare these to yours.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

You could be right. I will have to ask the instructor about it next week.

Comment

Honestly it looks to me like the camera angle is showing u something that isn't there. You are closed relative to the camera angle, meaning that the camera is faced more towards you than down your target line. Because of this, when you bump forward towards target, it appears as though you are losing your line.
              The corollary is that the camera is on your target line and you are setting up closed. If this is the case, your butt needs to get off the line for you to not hit a straight push.

One feel you can try if this is indeed an issue is to 'keep your butt on the wall'. Shawn Clement describes this as getting your right butt cheek on a wall and then keeping it against the wall as you laterally move towards target and then the left cheek meets it at the wall. A drill for this is to stick an alignment rod in the ground just behind your right butt cheek at a point where you will reach it with your standard backswing. Then feel like you leave it there (or feel like the rod slides along your butt as you bump towards target) and have your left butt cheek meet it 'on the wall'.
              Last edited by SmoothBomber; Sep 15, 2021, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmoothBomber View Post
                Honestly it looks to me like the camera angle is showing u something that isn't there. You are closed relative to the camera angle, meaning that the camera is faced more towards you than down your target line. Because of this, when you bump forward towards target, it appears as though you are losing your line.
                The corollary is that the camera is on your target line and you are setting up closed. If this is the case, your butt needs to get off the line for you to not hit a straight push.

One feel you can try if this is indeed an issue is to 'keep your butt on the wall'. Shawn Clement describes this as getting your right butt cheek on a wall and then keeping it against the wall as you laterally move towards target and then the left cheek meets it at the wall. A drill for this is to stick an alignment rod in the ground just behind your right butt cheek at a point where you will reach it with your standard backswing. Then feel like you leave it there (or feel like the rod slides along your butt as you bump towards target) and have your left butt cheek meet it 'on the wall'.
                I think its just the camera angle. She was not directly behind me. I have watch multiple videos that are straight on and its pretty clear I am six inches off the "wall" at the top of the back swing. I like your drill and I will try it out since I have some alignment sticks.

Comment

This sort of looks like a weight transfer issue. Going back your weight ends up on your right heel and as you transition it stays there. It leads to all types of issues. I also have this issue and our transitions look very similar.

A drill I've heard of is to try hitting some shots with a golf ball under your right heel.

I just try to focus on keeping my weight more in the middle and on the inside of my right foot this helps my transition by pushing to the left and shallows the shaft plane.
                  Last edited by gregnol; Sep 15, 2021, 09:29 AM.
                  "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

Comment

I will have to ask the instructor about it next week.
                    Good idea, because your fundamentals are poor and leading to a chain of swing faults that are common for the higher handicappers.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	BigK1975.swing.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.7 KB ID:	3441930Hard to know where to start.
                      What do you think OP ?

I can think of some good ideas, but I always ask people what they think first

Try to film down your toe line. The focus is on the golfer and club, not the ball. This view is to close to the ball target line.
                      Last edited by PingGolfer; Sep 15, 2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Hey PingGolfer. I have a net and hitting mat that came today which I just finished setting up. I think I should be working on having my butt touching a chair through the whole swing first until the end. Does that make sense? If you drew the red line you would see I am already away from the line on the up swing by like six inches. The weird part is that I don't feel any of this happening except the goat humping on the down swing. That is pretty obvious to me.

Comment

That's a great goal.

I'd work on a few things.

Have a pro evaluate your setup. You look too far from the ball, you have to bend over too much and reach a bit to get to the ball with this short club. Maybe the problem isnt terrible. But setup is so key have it checked.

From image 1 -> 2 you just picked up the club and turned your hands with minimal body involvement. This is what gets the clubhead so far behind you, so early.

Learn a one piece takeaway.

edit. I will return. Work is crazy today. sorry.

Read up about a one piece takeaway for now.

and watch these videos about lower body (hip) motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggLTM9bfD54
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNwSfz0_KDM

Comment

I don't feel this happening and I am not sure what is causing this.
                            Take a look at this. If nothing else, it's something to consider. It helped me significantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wUvU4lxeiU

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Take a look at this. If nothing else, it's something to consider. It helped me significantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wUvU4lxeiU
                              You Can Fix Your Poor Contact, Create Lag, Fix Your Chicken Wing and More...Watch This!

Jim Venetos Golf Academy
                              Hahaha !
                              So Simple.

Teaching first time golfers to start with this swing and then consider other methods of generating more power / understanding that by trying to gain power you'll need to keep up a good smash factor / contact seems like a potentially fruitful path.

What would be 3 other videos by this character you suggest to give a snapshot of his overall swing ?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X