Collapse

Spread Pattern Strategy

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spread Pattern Strategy

Was listening to a podcast yesterday and they had a Division One golf coach on.

He said the strategy he gets his players to use is that they factor a shot dispersion of 10%.

Example was a 160 yard approach has a 16 yard dispersion ( 8 left, 8 right, 8 short and 8 long), so for them a pin cut 5 yards on and 4 yards from the left edge shouldn't be the target, the "Safety First" target should be further right and a little past the pin.

It really resonated with me thinking about it this way, this is the miss for top college players but I think anyone looking to eliminate doubles and triples could establish their own dispersion.

You think the top pros hit it closer but their average is 7 yards dispersion from 150 yards, always seems closer on TV but we are mostly seeing highlight shots and the players that are playing well that particular week.

Anyways thought it was an interesting concept and proof that maybe average golfers expectations are not always realistic.
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
    Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
    Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
    Ping G400 4H - 22*
    Ping G400 5 - UW
    Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
    Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
    Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
    Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

AFIK, this idea was central to Dave Pelz' Short Game Bible.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
      AFIK, this idea was central to Dave Pelz' Short Game Bible.
      It was. Peltz pointed out the huge discrepancy between the pros and amateurs when it came to dispersion. He also spoke to changing shape of the dispersion pattern for pros, based on length of shot, moving from side to side on the shorter distances and getting longer in the fore to aft direction on longer shots.

For amateurs, , i believe he said the dispersion pattern just got bigger in all directions with increasing distance.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

I don't get so scientific with it, but for me it's just about mitigating risk as a mid capper. I am not so good out of bunkers, so if there's a bunker on one side, especially in the front, I will aim for the middle of the green in the event that I hit it a little fat. I get less birdie changes, but it's not like I make many birdies anyways. I'm probably 10 times more likely to make a double or triple out of the bunker than a birdie.
        Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
        TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
        TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
        Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
        TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
        Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex
        Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60*, wedge flex
        LAB Mezz, Accra
        Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

Originally posted by SW20 MR2 View Post
          I don't get so scientific with it, but for me it's just about mitigating risk as a mid capper. I am not so good out of bunkers, so if there's a bunker on one side, especially in the front, I will aim for the middle of the green in the event that I hit it a little fat. I get less birdie changes, but it's not like I make many birdies anyways. I'm probably 10 times more likely to make a double or triple out of the bunker than a birdie.
          And, if more people embraced this approach their scores would be lower.

Too many players focus on opportunities to make birdies rather than avoiding the risks of making high numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

And, if more people embraced this approach their scores would be lower.

Too many players focus on opportunities to make birdies rather than avoiding the risks of making high numbers.
            Bingo, many say birdies are lucky and avoiding doubles and higher is the way to score better.

Putting Statistics

PGA's Shot Tracker reveals that tour players on average make: 99% of putts from 3 feet and in. 69% of 6-foot putts. 54% of 8-foot putts.

So how close do amateurs have to hit it to have a realistic shot at birdie when the best in the world miss 31% from 6'.
            Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
            Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
            Ping G400 4H - 22*
            Ping G400 5 - UW
            Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
            Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

Ye, knowing your miss and playing your dispersion is huge for scoring and this strategy, including playing back fringe yardage when I'm not hitting all that clean, has led to many more 'stress free pars' and overall lower scores for me. Last weekend I was having a really good striking round at Lowville (+4 thru 12 with 3 3putts!) before catching up to a trny on back 9 and losing all rhythm and focus leading to 3 doubles (mostly lost tee shots) but up to then I was on 75% GIR and had 2 birdies...both by 'fluke' where I played a safe target for my shape and the wind and ended up missing at the pin. In both cases, had I gone at the pin I would have been short sided in the rough and looking at extremely difficult up and downs that would most likely be bogey+.

It really is a game of misses so when you plan for the best misses, you shoot your best scores.

Comment

Same strategy that is used by:

Tired of never scoring up to your potential? Eliminate guesswork and maximize your potential with the DECADE Course Management System.

Comment

I recall reading an article where a College golf coach on certain practice days players were only allowed to aim for the center of the green and what they found the scoring average was lower!

Comment

Originally posted by sunshiNee View Post
                    I recall reading an article where a College golf coach on certain practice days players were only allowed to aim for the center of the green and what they found the scoring average was lower!
                    I had heard something similar regarding private clubs occasionally removing the flagsticks so that players would not focus on the position of the hole. By playing 'safe', scores came down.

Comment

Originally posted by sunshiNee View Post
                      Same coach I referenced in the first post, also has his players play the most forward tees sometimes.
                      Gets them in a go low mindset.
                      Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                      Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                      Ping G400 4H - 22*
                      Ping G400 5 - UW
                      Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                      Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X