/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Pencil Grip, Wow it WORKS (for me at least,lol)

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pencil Grip, Wow it WORKS (for me at least,lol)

This is mostly for Al (@nomullies)

So yesterday, I had a mediocre putting day, and out of nowhere, I remebered that Al posted a few weeks ago that he uses (have used) the Pencil Grip for long time.

So i tried it, and after just few puts, I was just amazed how my putting reversed for better.
    The only issue was that I was leaving puts short, but that can be adjusted with some practice.

Anyone else using this grip ?

So, thanks Al for the tip, really appreciated

Hope this is a "keeper" and not a 1 day wonder

All best

Last edited by veryold; Jul 19, 2022, 10:04 PM.
    "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less" — Socrates

Ah thanks Serge. It's been close to 20 years for me. One day I couldn't buy a 3 foot putt and remembered I saw Mark Calcavecchia using it. I sunk it and then a bomb on the next hole. Regular grip equals yips. Cross handed feels awesome but leads to pulls. I'm not a great putter but many other areas are more in need of improvement. I must say also I've tried many putters. This year finally settled on an Odyssey black series blade with fat cat grip.

Comment

Is this the same as the claw grip?

I have battled the yips this year (and others) so have been experimenting with a few things in the house this week and tried the claw and holy crap does it work. I went out today, made the first putt, a 15 footer I had for birdie. The next two holes I had lags to about 5-6 feet and made both of them for pars. It continued throughout the round, making a 5 footer for par on 18. Everything was going at the hole, giving it a chance to go in. For longer putts I still putt normally, say over 25-30 feet as I am just getting used to this grip for longer putts but inside that it is absolutely money. I felt like I could make just about every putt I lined up today inside 20 feet.
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
        Is this the same as the claw grip?

I have battled the yips this year (and others) so have been experimenting with a few things in the house this week and tried the claw and holy crap does it work. I went out today, made the first putt, a 15 footer I had for birdie. The next two holes I had lags to about 5-6 feet and made both of them for pars. It continued throughout the round, making a 5 footer for par on 18. Everything was going at the hole, giving it a chance to go in. For longer putts I still putt normally, say over 25-30 feet as I am just getting used to this grip for longer putts but inside that it is absolutely money. I felt like I could make just about every putt I lined up today inside 20 feet.
        Pencil, claw, saw. All similar. There are different ways to place the right hand. Sometimes I use just the right index finger on top. Other times all four fingers. Or two. But it's the only way I get through a round without yip city.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

Pencil, claw, saw. All similar. There are different ways to place the right hand. Sometimes I use just the right index finger on top. Other times all four fingers. Or two. But it's the only way I get through a round without yip city.
          I was using 2 fingers but may try 3 or 4. Every putt went where it was intended, like they should.

I was at GT earlier today and made 4 straight 6 foot putts with a putter I grabbed off the rack. I couldn't even scare the hole before that. I'd suggest for anyone struggling in the least to give it a go.
          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

One instructor I had commented on my pencil putting grip as "the over 50 insurance grip".

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
            X