/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

This "New Move" is everywhere: Stop Your Hands At Impact ???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
    I'm not buying this theory at all. Nicklaus touted releasing the club, a feeling of throwing the head through impact. Which guy was better?

Harrington won 3 majors including 2 consecutive Open Championships. Not sure how his 3 majors to Nicklaus’ 18 makes his insight less legitimate.

You must have missed the part where PH says “let the club release!”. . .”The best iron players always throw the club. . .”

I think their swings are much more similar than they are different. Harrington is clearly describing hand speed (deceleration) vs clubhead speed (acceleration) as you approach impact. He doesn’t want you handle dragging. This isn’t new. . .it’s just physics.

The sole purpose of the golf swing is to create a correct impact. How that is done is of no consequence, so long as the method employed allows you to repeat it - John Jacobs

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
      I can't remember who or where I saw it, but I watched a video where they used the same "cracking the whip" . . .
      Likely Shawn Clement. Mike Malaska also uses a similar analogy with a wet towel. Same concept. Powerful and effective.
      The sole purpose of the golf swing is to create a correct impact. How that is done is of no consequence, so long as the method employed allows you to repeat it - John Jacobs

Comment

I believe Tommy Fleetwood used a similar decel punch move as a drill then just made it his go-to as it worked so well on course.

Comment

For boxers - the left jab.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStarchuk View Post

There is a declaration phase (4 actually) in every shot. Even in putting. The worst putters acceleration their shoulder/arms/hands through the ball…..
            Thank you for this, 100% correct. An even speed & length of back stroke and forward stroke is what most players should attempt to practice, and the reality will have a stroke that has deceleration due to impact of the ball, because of impact, and at that point, your job is done. When I was told, and practiced with that theory, I have never looked back. (For putting anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
              I believe Tommy Fleetwood used a similar decel punch move as a drill then just made it his go-to as it worked so well on course.
              Very good observation !!!
              Just finished watching the final round of last year's Open (all 11.5 hours of it, LOL) and Fleetwood absolutelly hit vast majority of his shots with this cut off follow thru, finishing with his hands barely waist high.
              "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less" — Socrates,2500 years ago.

Comment

https://youtu.be/qRW-g4M0JJ4

Here’s Jon Tattersall on hand speeds, accelerations and deceleration.​ Interesting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStarchuk View Post
                  It’s not “stopping the Hands” but rather slow the arms down to transfer speed to the club head. The hands move fast if the wrists are mobile and will allow it. Every professional player exhibits this yet articles want golfers to create shaft lean and hold angles which is the opposite intention of the best strikers.

Try doing a lead arm towel snap to hit a golf ball and notice how your hand never passes the ball. This decel-to-accel isn’t taught or discussed much but the best analogy is when a car hits a wall and the passengers go flying through the windshield. The heavy part stopped to send the light part flying.

most golfers try to speed up the handle through impact using their arms or chest turn and all this does is slow things down and create wide dispersions. The towel won’t snap if you don’t hit the brakes. It’s the reason why you’ve hit a punch shot that seems to go extra far.

it’s not a new concept as the kinematic sequence graphs have showed it for 15 years but we can now discuss it and teach it.
                  I'd listen to this guy.

Cowx talks about it as well.

I would personally put them as the two smartest golf guys in Ontario, maybe wider. Certainly smarter than me and most randoms on here.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                    Very good observation !!!
                    Just finished watching the final round of last year's Open (all 11.5 hours of it, LOL) and Fleetwood absolutelly hit vast majority of his shots with this cut off follow thru, finishing with his hands barely waist high.
                    "Think about your downswing as a chain reaction: Your hands speed up, but then they hit the brakes hard. That process transfers the energy from your body into the golf club for maximum speed."

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pow...-speed-release

Artcile even talks about Harrington..

Comment

Though I cannot find it now, Brian Manzella had a YT video some years ago talking about this for the driver. If I remember correctly, his thought was that the driver needs you to slow down to get the correct release.

Comment

found this very short clip of Padraig Harrington detailing this "move".

Faldo, when he was winning during his prime, .did this exact move also

https://youtu.be/SzVwLigcAKM

things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                          found this very short clip of Padraig Harrington detailing this "move".
                          Faldo, when he was winning during his prime, .did this exact move also
                          https://youtu.be/SzVwLigcAKM
                          Thanks, appreciated
                          Never tried this with real club and swing, but wonder if that "move" could potentially put some unwanted stress on the joints and such ???
                          Cheers !
                          Last edited by veryold; Feb 2, 2023, 03:37 PM.
                          "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less" — Socrates,2500 years ago.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X