No announcement yet.
Collapse

Reducing Driver Spin

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oversimplification, but optimal for swing speed in terms of numbers in attached here, I hope this helps...

In terms of actual 'help', your angle of attack is likely too steep, but short of changing your swing, experimenting w/low spin drivers, different shafts, lofts and your ball are great places to start to many other's comments.

Some who don't like to play in sims during the winter forget the fact that all the data that is in front of you is wealth of info. to be able to address improvements. My practice/play indoors has been criticial in dialing in my equipment - Now if I can stop my horrific decline in swing speed as I approach 60 I'm all ears!

Good luck!!

- Ian
    Attached Files
    TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
    TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
    TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
    * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
    TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
    TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
    TM TP5 Golf Ball
    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
    Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Comment

One might ask why the optimal spin rate increases with decreasing swing speed?

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
        One might ask why the optimal spin rate increases with decreasing swing speed?
        Speed helps get ball up, up then carry’s far, so slower speed needs more spin to get it up

Comment

Spin keeps the ball in the air and has an effect on peak height and ultimately carry distance. The higher the ball speed, the higher the ball can launch and then the goal is to reduce spin.

Comment

Thanks. Doesn't the higher optimal launch angle for lower swing speeds do that? Is there an optimal peak height involved?

Comment

Thanks. Doesn't the higher optimal launch angle for lower swing speeds do that? Is there an optimal peak height involved?
              It's a combination, the math is for smarter people than me.

Comment

Yes, for sure. The higher launch angle helps the ball launch higher but the spin rate affects the peak height and time the ball is in the air. When golfers talk about how high they hit it, there’s a difference between launch angle and peak height. Almost all clubs go about the same height 95-105 feet high, maybe more with a lot of ball speed, but due to launch angle and spin, they get to this peak height at different times of their flight - wedges sooner than drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
                  Oversimplification, but optimal for swing speed in terms of numbers in attached here, I hope this helps...

In terms of actual 'help', your angle of attack is likely too steep, but short of changing your swing, experimenting w/low spin drivers, different shafts, lofts and your ball are great places to start to many other's comments.

Some who don't like to play in sims during the winter forget the fact that all the data that is in front of you is wealth of info. to be able to address improvements. My practice/play indoors has been criticial in dialing in my equipment - Now if I can stop my horrific decline in swing speed as I approach 60 I'm all ears!

Good luck!!

- Ian
                  Just clarifying, this is for drivers right? I've been hitting my HL driver at base 13 degree loft with some success. I lowered it to 12.25 or so and lost yardage. Moving it up to 14.5 for tomorrow at the sim out of curiosity. My swing speed is in the 80s. I've read articles on lowering and increasing loft both leading to yardage gains lol. I will try to gleam more info from my sim going forward.

This article seems not to apply to me. I'm assuming my launch angle is not high enough or even negative. Despite trying to hit up on the ball.

Last edited by nomullies; Feb 27, 2023, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

Just clarifying, this is for drivers right? I've been hitting my HL driver at base 13 degree loft with some success. I lowered it to 12.25 or so and lost yardage. Moving it up to 14.5 for tomorrow at the sim out of curiosity. My swing speed is in the 80s. I've read articles on lowering and increasing loft both leading to yardage gains lol. I will try to gleam more info from my sim going forward.

This article seems not to apply to me. I'm assuming my launch angle is not high enough or even negative. Despite trying to hit up on the ball.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gol...ur-driver-loft
                    Yes - The graphic is specific to Drivers.
                    TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
                    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
                    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
                    TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
                    TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
                    * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
                    TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
                    TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
                    TM TP5 Golf Ball
                    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
                    Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Comment

Hey Al Would be very, VERY interested to hear how that went and your results.
                      Best, serge.

Comment

My friend has a sim...and the settings I find that work best on my driver playing sim golf...don't always translate to real golf and I find myself changing the driver settings pften for real golf.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                          Hey Al Would be very, VERY interested to hear how that went and your results.
                          Best, serge.
                          Well then Serge, since you asked. This is on limited data. When game playing on impactvision sim they don't give you much data. Which is mostly what we do for fun. I'd have to go and use the driving range full time to really figure out the driver and spin. Anyway here goes.

10 sim sessions using my TM Stage 2 HL at base loft 13 I averaged 229 yards and 49% FIR. Similar to my real golf. (slightly closed stance, mostly fades, some pulls)

2 sessions lowering loft to 12.33 averaged 230 yards and 39% FIR. (slightly closed stance, mostly fades, some pulls)

Today 2 sessions at max 14.5 loft averaged 233 yards and 79% of FIR. (slighlty open stance, slightest hint of fade, most on left side of fairway)

Hmmm. I hit many fairways today with barely any fade and the same distance. But the slightly open stance let to unexpectedly straight results, since I probably aim a bit left to accomodate the fade. Which is another thread. My swing speed with the driver is usually 85-90 mph. Lower with the irons. It would help to see angle of attack. I think I try but don't really swing up on it which makes the higher loft suitable for my swing. And maybe should not have sold those 13 and 16 degree Nikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                            My friend has a sim...and the settings I find that work best on my driver playing sim golf...don't always translate to real golf and I find myself changing the driver settings pften for real golf.
                            Absolutely. I find my driver results to be maybe a bit higher than real golf, fairway woods about right, and irons short, sometimes up to two clubs.

Something about the spin in my swing and the way the tech picks up the ball??

Comment

10 sim sessions using my TM Stage 2 HL at base loft 13 I averaged 229 yards and 49% FIR. Similar to my real golf. (slightly closed stance, mostly fades, some pulls)
                              I'm still gaming my Stage 2 3HL (17*) that I bought used for $65 back in 2015...some have challenged to knock it out, w/o success....though my friend just bought a used Ti Steath 3W....the head is a forgiving missile launcher.

I bought a mint condition set of Rocketbladez Tour 4-AW irons with KBS Tour 120 gm stiffs in Nov 2019 at the Golftown demo sale for $240. The shafts are getting too stout for me as I age
                              BUT
                              When I pure strike them...they go....I have to work the shaft.
                              I really like the look, shape and size of the iron heads.

I'm debating about low balling a Jetspeed driver for $50 on FB...it's was $100...now $70 and it's not selling....but I should refrain as I have a Ping 410 SFT and a 2021 0211 PXG driver....though they might be gone sometime this year.
                              I bought a used Jetspeed in 2015 for $95...it was the cheapest adjustable head driver on the used market at the time....I sold it in 2019 for $65...so cost me about $0.75/mth to rent it....lol.
                              The Jetspeed was a marketing failure for TM....but I really liked it...it performed and was forgiving.
                              All the POSER golfers bought into all of TM's marketing and made the SLDR a sales success for TM
                              BUT
                              90% of all golfers (lack of skill & SS) just couldn't maximize the performance of the SLDR...such a small sweetspot and unforgiving.

Comment

Not sure what clubs this dude is bagging but - solid impact position
                                Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X