Collapse

Reducing Driver Spin

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing Driver Spin

Looking for any resources you guys have to reduce driver spin. I’m usually hovering around 110-115 with the driver but I can’t seem to reduce spin loft and at over 3000rpm, total distance isn’t what it should be.

Any time I reduce spin to, say, 2500 rpm then it is accompanied with about an 8* launch angle.

Or if there are any instructors in the east end (Durham Region) that anyone can recommend, please PM me.

thanks!
    WITB:
    Driver - TM SIM 9*
    Wood - Callaway Mavrik SZ 15*
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19*
    Irons - Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 4, MMC 5-PW
    Wedges - Vokey 50-54-60
    Putter - Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330​

Vaseline is your friend. LOL

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9UeD-xWqLU
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

It may be interesting to check your angle of attack on a launch monitor?

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
        Vaseline is your friend. LOL

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9UeD-xWqLU
        This doesn’t seem like Plan A but good to have options!
        WITB:
        Driver - TM SIM 9*
        Hybrid - Ping G410 19*
        Wedges - Vokey 50-54-60

Comment

Originally posted by Canada8888 View Post
          It may be interesting to check your angle of attack on a launch monitor?
          I think you are right. They are definitely correlated - can you recommend anywhere? Tracer golf and Uptown don’t seem to have club face data.
          WITB:
          Driver - TM SIM 9*
          Hybrid - Ping G410 19*
          Wedges - Vokey 50-54-60

Comment

You can swing at 110-115 mph and you're looking for help? Most readers would love to have your problem.

If you go to PGA Tour stats web site, you can look at tour pros spin rates. From what i see, some average over 3,000 but can hit some shots over 4,000 rpm spin rate. On the assumption that you're not a PGA tour pro, what's wrong with hitting with a spin rate over 3,000? Ricky Fowler spins over 2,700 on average and has over $42M in career earnings. His drive goes 308 yards on average. That's a pretty lofty goal to reach for, IMO.

Why just concentrate on spin rate? Have you looked at smash factor? Location where you hit the ball on the face? Attack angle? Face to path etc. The spin rate might just be a symptom of another issue (assuming there is an issue at all)

What distance are you expecting? If you're hitting 250-275 yards (with that club speed), most folks would be extremely happy with that...especially, if you're hitting fairway. No point getting 300rpm less spin and an extra 15 extra yards if it's going to end up in the lake !

Have you considered getting into a Trackman simulator and using the "driver optimization" feature? Might provide some insights as to your potential.
            Last edited by foreright99; Jan 27, 2023, 08:57 PM.

Comment

It sounds like your strike position is low on the face so you need to verify that variable. Jon Rahm uses 11.3 degrees of loft on his driver so perhaps you too could use more loft coupled with a better strike. BTW, spin rates of 2400-2700 are fine as plenty of PGA Tour players spin at that rate or higher.
              In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
              Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
              TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
              TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
              PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
              TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
              Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
              TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

I really appreciate the replies and I’m not trying to stir the pot (too much!). I’m sitting around 3300 rpm spin which is about 265 yds all carry. Looking at trackman optimized tables - I’m leaving a lot of yards on the table and I think all of us would love to add 20-30 yards based on strike conditions.

I like the idea of going for a trackman session, does anyone know of any simulators east of Kennedy and west of Peterborough? lol

the loft comment is a good one. I’m playing my 9* tuned down to 8* and still spinny. What else to do in the off season but tinker?
                WITB:
                Driver - TM SIM 9*
                Hybrid - Ping G410 19*
                Wedges - Vokey 50-54-60

Comment

You're hitting 265 yards carry...no roll? Something doesn't sound right. Not sure if anyone else has had other experiences with those Trackman optimization tables, but they haven't really worked for me. For example, I'm at a mortal 95 mph swing speed. Based on the table optimized for total distance, they say i should be hitting 276 yards if my launch angle is 13 degrees and smash it at 1.48 (almost perfect center hit). Reality is I hit my drives closer to 220 yards (total, on a good day).

For this to happen, the table says i need a launch angle of +5 degrees (I'm more of a level hitter). The table also says my smash factor needs to be 1.48 (I'm closer to 1.45 and lower). I also have an in to out swing (face to path) of about 3 degrees. All to say that there are so many elements that come into play that could negatively affect your results - and not match those Trackman optimizer tables. (keeping in mind this is coming from a 95 mph guy and so certainly not an expert in the matter). Don't be discouraged by those tables that say you should be hitting well over 300 yards.

A Trackman simulator session might be interesting but i found it a bit overwhelming at times. Yeah, sure, i need to increase my launch angle,but how ? Stance, grip, attack angle, ball position, take away, body position etc etc etc (without messing up something else in your swing). At 115 mph and only 8 degrees loft on your driver, that would seem to indicate you're hitting seriously down on the ball to generate that kind of spin (and no roll). Launch angle might be something to watch for as well (i.e. your face might be open at impact despite the low loft).

With your swing speed, ever thought of getting a lesson from a pro in a simulator who can look at those numbers and advise?

Comment

Originally posted by theKman View Post
                    I really appreciate the replies and I’m not trying to stir the pot (too much!). I’m sitting around 3300 rpm spin which is about 265 yds all carry. Looking at trackman optimized tables - I’m leaving a lot of yards on the table and I think all of us would love to add 20-30 yards based on strike conditions.

I like the idea of going for a trackman session, does anyone know of any simulators east of Kennedy and west of Peterborough? lol

the loft comment is a good one. I’m playing my 9* tuned down to 8* and still spinny. What else to do in the off season but tinker?
                    You know that the issue is either strike location or a very downward AoA.... likely a combination of both. With your SS 300 is there all day long if you can fix those factors. If you are willing to drive to Vaughn, Peak Performance Golf has GC Hawk that will show you everything you need to know, I'm sure there are lots closer to you as well, I just don't know them. In reality though, you know you need a lesson from a good pro. Your issue might even be a quick fix. Could be as simple as set up and understanding how to create an upward AoA.

Kind of makes me think of the argument in the 2023 driver thread. An optimized player won't pick up 30yrds, but you easily could.

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post

You know that the issue is either strike location or a very downward AoA.... likely a combination of both. With your SS 300 is there all day long if you can fix those factors. If you are willing to drive to Vaughn, Peak Performance Golf has GC Hawk that will show you everything you need to know, I'm sure there are lots closer to you as well, I just don't know them. In reality though, you know you need a lesson from a good pro. Your issue might even be a quick fix. Could be as simple as set up and understanding how to create an upward AoA.

Kind of makes me think of the argument in the 2023 driver thread. An optimized player won't pick up 30yrds, but you easily could.
                      so true

Comment

At 110-115 swing speed you definitely are leaving yards on the table.

another place that has gc hawk is golf6ix..but for any foresight tracer you have to buy the club markers separately to get AoA.

one very easy way of reducing driver spin specifically is by hitting it a tad high on the face and trying to hit up on it. Harder to do these with other clubs in the bag though.

Comment

What ball do you use? I’m at 108-112 depending on the day, I use left dash faithfully.

Comment

Should me carrying the ball on the 290 with that speed over 3000 rpm it way too high. Should be low 2000s. AOA and strike location is where too look ,

Comment

Originally posted by BUCCI Putters View Post
                              What ball do you use? I’m at 108-112 depending on the day, I use left dash faithfully.
                              Good point. My others are still where I would start but ball (and club) can help as well.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X