Collapse

Reducing Driver Spin

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Al, much appreciated

Well, ur "Hmmm" on the 14.5* results is priceless, LOL !
    I'm pretty sure you'll try that setting on the real course in a month or so.
    Maybe you found the magic after all ???

As for Nike 13* and 16*, well, i still have the 16* but it is a keeper, for now at least. Will be facing it off against my SLDR 14* this Summer.

Best, thanks again and cheers

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

Well then Serge, since you asked. This is on limited data. When game playing on impactvision sim they don't give you much data. Which is mostly what we do for fun. I'd have to go and use the driving range full time to really figure out the driver and spin. Anyway here goes.

10 sim sessions using my TM Stage 2 HL at base loft 13 I averaged 229 yards and 49% FIR. Similar to my real golf. (slightly closed stance, mostly fades, some pulls)

2 sessions lowering loft to 12.33 averaged 230 yards and 39% FIR. (slightly closed stance, mostly fades, some pulls)

Today 2 sessions at max 14.5 loft averaged 233 yards and 79% of FIR. (slighlty open stance, slightest hint of fade, most on left side of fairway)

Hmmm. I hit many fairways today with barely any fade and the same distance. But the slightly open stance let to unexpectedly straight results, since I probably aim a bit left to accomodate the fade. Which is another thread. My swing speed with the driver is usually 85-90 mph. Lower with the irons. It would help to see angle of attack. I think I try but don't really swing up on it which makes the higher loft suitable for my swing. And maybe should not have sold those 13 and 16 degree Nikes.
    Last edited by veryold; Feb 28, 2023, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
      I'm still gaming my Stage 2 3HL (17*) that I bought used for $65 back in 2015...some have challenged to knock it out, w/o success....though my friend just bought a used Ti Steath 3W....the head is a forgiving missile launcher.

I bought a mint condition set of Rocketbladez Tour 4-AW irons with KBS Tour 120 gm stiffs in Nov 2019 at the Golftown demo sale for $240. The shafts are getting too stout for me as I age
      BUT
      When I pure strike them...they go....I have to work the shaft.
      I really like the look, shape and size of the iron heads.

I'm debating about low balling a Jetspeed driver for $50 on FB...it's was $100...now $70 and it's not selling....but I should refrain as I have a Ping 410 SFT and a 2021 0211 PXG driver....though they might be gone sometime this year.
      I bought a used Jetspeed in 2015 for $95...it was the cheapest adjustable head driver on the used market at the time....I sold it in 2019 for $65...so cost me about $0.75/mth to rent it....lol.
      The Jetspeed was a marketing failure for TM....but I really liked it...it performed and was forgiving.
      All the POSER golfers bought into all of TM's marketing and made the SLDR a sales success for TM
      BUT
      90% of all golfers (lack of skill & SS) just couldn't maximize the performance of the SLDR...such a small sweetspot and unforgiving.
      Wow I have some experience with many of these. I'm actually selling my Stage 2 HL 17 degree fw. I have several Cally's I much prefer. I love my Stage 2 HL driver but only after I swapped in the stock shaft from a SLDR lol. I too couldn't hit the SLDR head. Though my buddy is great with it. Tight draw. Re the Jet Speed I tried the non-adjustible driver version and found the shaft too light. Similar to Aeroburners. But I wanted to like both.

Comment

Wow I have some experience with many of these. I'm actually selling my Stage 2 HL 17 degree fw. I have several Cally's I much prefer. I love my Stage 2 HL driver but only after I swapped in the stock shaft from a SLDR lol. I too couldn't hit the SLDR head. Though my buddy is great with it. Tight draw. Re the Jet Speed I tried the non-adjustible driver version and found the shaft too light. Similar to Aeroburners. But I wanted to like both.
        I have the 2013 Cally X Hot 3.4 & 5 hybrids with the cup face technology....all 3 for $97 from Global Golf Canada...pre-Covid prices....all with stock Project X stiff shafts....the X Hot & X Hot2 FW are missile launchers too.

I sold the stock stiff shaft on my Jetspeed...it was too light....a friend gave my friend who gave me a R15 stock stiff shaft. This is the same shaft as your SLDR shaft....different paint job....it's a made for TM shaft....it's the TM retail Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 or 569 shaft. I played this shaft in my Jetspeed and M3....I sold the Tensei Blue that came with my M3. I really wanted the M4, but could not find a used M4 at a good price in 2019.

I don't believe the Jetspeed came in a non-adjustable head version. I think you had the SLDR C version with the fixed/bonded head....I think this was manufactured for the big box retail market.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
          I have the 2013 Cally X Hot 3.4 & 5 hybrids with the cup face technology....all 3 for $97 from Global Golf Canada...pre-Covid prices....all with stock Project X stiff shafts....the X Hot & X Hot2 FW are missile launchers too.

I sold the stock stiff shaft on my Jetspeed...it was too light....a friend gave my friend who gave me a R15 stock stiff shaft. This is the same shaft as your SLDR shaft....different paint job....it's a made for TM shaft....it's the TM retail Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 or 569 shaft. I played this shaft in my Jetspeed and M3....I sold the Tensei Blue that came with my M3. I really wanted the M4, but could not find a used M4 at a good price in 2019.

I don't believe the Jetspeed came in a non-adjustable head version. I think you had the SLDR C version with the fixed/bonded head....I think this was manufactured for the big box retail market.
          Hmmm it seems you are right about the jetspeed. Maybe it was a fw I had. I am a bit interested in the 13 HL versions out there. My go-to fw are Cally's. An X2Hot 3 wood and I do like the XR 5 and 7 although they are on the sidelines. Currently happily gaming an older TM Burner 7 wood with stock reg shaft.

Comment

Hmmm it seems you are right about the jetspeed. Maybe it was a fw I had. I am a bit interested in the 13 HL versions out there. My go-to fw are Cally's. An X2Hot 3 wood and I do like the XR 5 and 7 although they are on the sidelines. Currently happily gaming an older TM Burner 7 wood with stock reg shaft.
            In 2010....I injured my back and changed to reg shafts until I got my SS back.
            I bought a used TM Burner HL for $25 and really liked it....I was able to hit some nice draws with the club....sold it for $45....I met a young guy early in the morning at a gas station on my way to play golf...he gave me two $20's and 5 loonies...when I got home....two loonies were two pesos....WTF.

Comment

If y'all would sell off all the odds and ends, you might be able to get fitted for an actual low spin club and skip all the guessing.... but I guess that is half the fun eh .

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post
                If y'all would sell off all the odds and ends, you might be able to get fitted for an actual low spin club and skip all the guessing.... but I guess that is half the fun eh .
                Club Ho. Def: individual who blames failure at golf on his/her equipment and incessantly buys and sells to cure the illness.

Comment

Further to my sim results of the highest loft on my HL driver of 14.5 leading to the longest drives (233 yds), I did find this graphic on a web page. Explains my results. I think I'll keep the 14.5 for a while, especially with the reduced spin. My swing speed with a driver is in the 85-90 mph range.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DRIVER-DISTANCE-CHART.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	3639424

Comment

Thanks for this, very interesting !
                    As for me, i am going to adjust the loft on my 14* SLDR to its max. of 16* for my first game and go from there. 220 is still my goal, but i'd be happy with a consistent 200, LOL.
                    Cheers
                    Further to my sim results of the highest loft on my HL driver of 14.5 leading to the longest drives (233 yds), I did find this graphic on a web page. Explains my results. I think I'll keep the 14.5 for a while, especially with the reduced spin. My swing speed with a driver is in the 85-90 mph range.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DRIVER-DISTANCE-CHART.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	3639424

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                      Thanks for this, very interesting !
                      As for me, i am going to adjust the loft on my 14* SLDR to its max. of 16* for my first game and go from there. 220 is still my goal, but i'd be happy with a consistent 200, LOL.
                      Cheers

I knew you'd be interested. I too would take 200 on short grass on my course any time.

Comment

I dislike adjusting my driver to increased loft because it closes the face, which is irritating. Maybe someone can explain how closing the driver face increases loft? I'd rather open the face (decrease loft setting), much more pleasing to the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
                          I dislike adjusting my driver to increased loft because it closes the face, which is irritating. Maybe someone can explain how closing the driver face increases loft? I'd rather open the face (decrease loft setting), much more pleasing to the eye.
                          This video demonstrates how the shaft that's put into an adaptor helps change face angles when loft adjustments are made.

I don't mind lofting up a bit and therefore closing the face to help me promote a draw....my miss can tend to be shot out to the right.

Adjustable hosel golf clubs, how do they work? We look at Adjustable Hosel Drivers and explore how they change loft, lie angle, and face angle. This same exp...

Comment

Today's Sim session was switching to a Tensei reg 50g shaft I just picked up and playing the Stage 2 HL driver at + 2, or 15 degrees. To my surprise I went from 233 avg at 14.5 with my SLDR shaft to almost 249 today. How much is attributable to the different shaft I'm not sure. FIR was way down to just over 53% but many were just off the fairway so mostly pleased. I play the amateur setting, which travels further than the pro but less than beginner. I take the 249 with a grain of salt. But the relative numbers are significant for me. I will stay with the high loft for sure.

A bit off-topic I got to try my new to me M6 9 wood. Wow. The only thing is it's stupid long.
                            Last edited by nomullies; Mar 7, 2023, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Today's Sim session was switching to a Tensei reg 50g shaft I just picked up and playing the Stage 2 HL driver at + 2, or 15 degrees. To my surprise I went from 233 avg at 14.5 with my SLDR shaft to almost 249 today. How much is attributable to the different shaft I'm not sure. FIR was way down to just over 53% but many were just off the fairway so mostly pleased. I play the amateur setting, which travels further than the pro but less than beginner. I take the 249 with a grain of salt. But the relative numbers are significant for me. I will stay with the high loft for sure.

A bit off-topic I got to try my new to me M6 9 wood. Wow. The only thing is it's stupid long.
                              I have a regular 50g Tensei CK blue shaft in my driver and love it!

Comment

Snead in his prime played a 12* Izett driver.
                                Nicklaus played firm shafts, not stiff shafts.
                                Hogan played a soft flex in his wedges.
                                There was no Tour Only specification then.
                                every player set his own pref's
                                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X