/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Any Tips to stop chunking my chip shots?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Tips to stop chunking my chip shots?

Essentially Chunk 80% of my none full swing shots, have been going down the worm hole online, just curious if anyone has used a technique that worked?
    Might give Gareth Raflewski "sternum forward" approach a try.

Comment

Chunking chips I find is less about ball position and more about wrists and technique issue. To be a good chipper your lead wrist should not break (left hand for right handed golfers). The action should also be smooth without a jerky motion. A good drill is to chip with only the left hand to engrain the motion.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
        I second Stan Utley's books & methods. They have worked very well for me.

Comment

Watch the LPGA this weekend - they chip very well using various setups and methods.
          โ€‹

Comment

try a "little poison".

My pro Tim Sweborg taught me this technique when I was still a teen. He called it the Runyan method of chipping. Tim might have modified Runyans method sligh...
            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Blah blah blah.
              Just commit to the shot and hit it..
              Is not that complicated.
              Last edited by steveooo; May 28, 2023, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Ah, the school of rip it ,and sip it. LOL

not everyone is AS TALENTED AS YOU.
                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
                  Watch the LPGA this weekend - they chip very well using various setups and methods.
                  โ€‹
                  Somewhat like putters and putting, there's more than one way to do it successfully.

I'm a "feel" player so I'm not going to get overly technical on anything.

My "big tip" is simple: No matter what method you use, practice is required to make it work.

We're still early in the season here, but I spent 20 minutes chipping at a range last week, and hit 60 chips into (okay, close to) a bucket in the back yard and when I got out to the course I sunk a couple of perfect chips, which was kinda nice.

I had way more confidence because I could envision where I'd place a bucket for my chip to roll out and into the hole, and so it was easier to do as steveooo said " Just commit to the shot and hit it.."
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

Meant to be a comedy series, but there was a very informative part prior to the round with Kevin Kisner. I tried it out, helped me out significantly around the greens

Frankie, otherwise known as "Frankie Butter Knives" has a terrible case of the skulls when it comes to chipping and Kevin Kisner helps fix his game.Follow Fo...

Comment

Check your non glove hand grip. Grip it in this hand first, making sure the grip runs closer to your right forearm, than it currently does. Get a grips length from the ball and stand the wedge up on the toe. Play with ball positions and club face angles. Donโ€™t underestimate the beauty of the face slightly closed.
                      If you are a โ€œfeelโ€ player, from this point you are hitting little draw chips off the toe.
                      Congrats, youโ€™re cured ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ™Œ

Comment

A tip from a similar thread some time ago helps: follow through. My crappy chips involve stopping at the ball. I know it immediately. But it happens regularly. The other tip that helps is when greenside and a putt is dicey. Go vertical getting the club more on its toe. Use a longer iron and a putting style.

Comment

Originally posted by SlaytheDragon View Post
                          Check your non glove hand grip. Grip it in this hand first, making sure the grip runs closer to your right forearm, than it currently does. Get a grips length from the ball and stand the wedge up on the toe. Play with ball positions and club face angles. Donโ€™t underestimate the beauty of the face slightly closed.
                          If you are a โ€œfeelโ€ player, from this point you are hitting little draw chips off the toe.
                          Congrats, youโ€™re cured ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ™Œ
                          This here is GOLD. Iโ€™ve heard about this technique and ideas of hitting draw spinning pitches. I recently saw Azinger describe his chipping technique and he is regarded as one of the best off the toe.
                          The sole purpose of the golf swing is to create a correct impact. How that is done is of no consequence, so long as the method employed allows you to repeat it - John Jacobs

Comment

I think many just do not commit to the shot and are so focused on where the ball is going. They look up too soon, or decelerate, or flippy hands, or something short and choppy, etc.

Once I have my intended target and have a feel for the distance required, I take my stance and ONLY think about executing the stroke that I see at my feet, the target no longer matters at that point. But we all have our demons
                            ๐Ÿ 2023 WITB ๐Ÿโ€‹
                            Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                            Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                            Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60Sโ€‹
                            Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                            Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                            Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                            โ€‹
                            Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock gripโ€‹
                            Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Rick Shiels just posted an hour long video on YouTube of a short game lesson he had recently. Really good stuff on the modern approach to chipping and how much easier it makes things.
                              We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                              Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                              Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                              Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                              Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                              Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                              Srixon Star XV
                              Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X