Collapse

Putting Style?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting Style?

So what kind of putting style do you have? Traditional? Belly Putting? Cross Handed? Saw Grip?(Claw) Chin Putting? What do you use and why? Numerous golfers including the pros have changed putting styles and some like VJ have gone back to the Traditional.
    I was also thinking of changing to Cross Handed earlier this year cause my putting was horrible, but I couldn't get used to it. I also heard a lot of teachers are not teaching the Cross Handed to new golfers. Anyone know why?
    "Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."
    Winston Churchill

Re: Putting Style?

When i first started off...i used the ..um..don't know the name...but its where the left hand is on the bottom...(is that the reverse grip or the cross hand..or are they the same thing)...but after a couple years of not playing...i now use the traditional/normal grip..and i interlock my fingers..
    and i switch between pandelum swing, where both my albows are bent equally, and swing where the left hand does most of the moving to keep the putter head straight..and in the follow through, my right arm becomes straight...forming a triangle with my body and my left arm..and the back of left hand ends up facing the target.
    sorry..donno how to describe using more technical terms

Comment

i use the traditional

Comment

1. Cross hand.
        2. Have an extended 16" square cross section grip on my putter, and the top of the grip rests on the inside of the forearm at the elbow of my left arm.

This position prevents my wrists from breaking down through impact as most golfers tend to do.

Comment

I use the cross hand grip. When I don't use this putting style my putts tend to get worse.

I should mention that I have to choke down on my putter because it is too long for me. I plan on getting a new putter before the start of next season. So my putting style may change after that.
          You may contact me with general questions about the forum.
          Advertising requests should be emailed to advertise@torontogolfnuts.com.
          Contact us to organize a TGN golf day/TGN tournament at your golf course, email events@torontogolfnuts.com.
          Thank you to all our members and sponsors for your continued support. Looking forward to a brand new golf season.

Comment

Originally posted by Focker Singh
            So what kind of putting style do you have? Traditional? Belly Putting? Cross Handed? Saw Grip?(Claw) Chin Putting? What do you use and why? Numerous golfers including the pros have changed putting styles and some like VJ have gone back to the Traditional.
            Focker,
            Like VJ (ha!) I have tried many other grips and putters. After working on my mechanics two winters ago, I went back to traditional style with a reverse over lap grip. Had one of mt best years putting last year.
            Mule
            In The Ogio
            Driver - Titleist 910 w/Diamana 'ilima
            Fairway Woods - Titleist 980F 3 & 5 w/Speeder
            Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
            Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
            Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
            Putter - Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum
            MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

QB, are you changing putters because you are unhappy with your current putter, or because the length is not comfortable?

I use a traditional grip with a strong right hand. I often use my index finger to point down the grip to steady my hands and avoid any club head turn during the stroke.
              "Golf's a grand game. It combines the skill of billards, with the mystery of gardening." David Merry

Comment

Originally posted by mikejb
                QB, are you changing putters because you are unhappy with your current putter, or because the length is not comfortable?

I use a traditional grip with a strong right hand. I often use my index finger to point down the grip to steady my hands and avoid any club head turn during the stroke.
                I'm changing putters because I'm not comfortable with the length of my current putter. And also two of my friends went out and bought 2 ball putters and are raving about them. I might try them out to see if that's a better fit for me.
                Contact us to organize a TGN golf day/TGN tournament at your golf course, email events@torontogolfnuts.com.
                Thank you to all our members and sponsors for your continued support. Looking forward to a brand new golf season.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen of the Beach
                  I'm changing putters because I'm not comfortable with the length of my current putter. And also two of my friends went out and bought 2 ball putters and are raving about them. I might try them out to see if that's a better fit for me.
                  QB, go to golftown and check them all out. That's the best place for trying putters out. They have almost all the models and at every length! Also, getting golftown to cut your current putter down ain't a bad idea either... but if you want a new toy

PS: Big Elisha Cuthbert fan here... 24 is the best show ever..

Kev
                  WITB:
                  Driver: Cleveland Classic 290(Miyazaki)
                  3W: Callaway XR Pro 3 Deep 14* (Diamana 70 I'Lima)
                  2H: Adams Pro Gold(Matrix Ozik Altus)
                  4-PW: Callaway X-Prototype (Aerotech Steelfiber I95)
                  56: Callaway X-Forged (Dynamic Gold)
                  60: Callaway X-Forged (Rifle Spinner)
                  Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Comment

yupyup!! 2 Ball Putters are awesome!!! Makes lining up putts so much easier..and i like the weight of it too..make the swing very smooth and straight...

hehe..24 is awesome too! too back elisha isn't gonna be back in season 4...probably only occasional appearances

Comment

Golf Smith Strike Line 1
                      I picked up that putter this year and it is awesome. It squares right up right away. I highly recommened it.
                      It is not a knock off of anything just as a note. Golfsmith makes great equipment, you just do not hear about them as much becasue they spend their money on R&D not Marketing.
                      "Golf's a grand game. It combines the skill of billards, with the mystery of gardening." David Merry

Comment

Thanks for the tip Special K. I will go to Golftown in the spring and check out their putters. I definitely need a new one before the start of next season.

Oh and I agree 24 is awesome...I am also a fan.

Comment

I just finished building this Dynacraft RCG putter: http://www.golfquip.com/rcg_putters.htm (I have been playing Dyanacraft irons for about 5 years, they were built for me by McMahon Golf). This putter was very highly rated by professional club builders.
                          I have only tried it on my carpet so far, but it has a sweet, balaced solid feel with a smooth roll. Fantastic ball alignment (especially compared to my Odyssey Rossie.) I'll post a review once I've had a chance to use it on a real green.

TLT/MOI matched.

Comment

I use Pelz' SBST method with traditional grip.
                            Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
                            TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                            TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                            Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
                            TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
                            Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex
                            Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60*, wedge flex
                            LAB Mezz, Accra
                            Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews