Collapse

Choking Down

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choking Down

I need some advice on whether or not to have my clubs shortened or if I'm gripping improperly. My problem is I choke down on every club in my bag. I choke down almost to where my grips end (about 4-5 inches of club stick out of the top). I am told that I am losing distance by choking down but at the sametime, I feel like I have more control in my shots. If I don't choke down, the lie angle of my clubs will be off and I will tend to hit "chunk" shots. This may sound like a no brainer, "get your clubs shortened!", but I am very comfortable with choking down, I hit straight and consistently and I'm getting the distances I should be with my swing speed. Why fix something thats not broken? At the same time, if I can gain more distance or even become a better shot maker why not right? Any advice?
    "Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."
    Winston Churchill

Re: Choking Down

Focker, I would suggest you measure your clubs and figure what your ideal measurements would be. The numbers are all over the internet. Most clubs are made to fit the average males height.
    That could also result in you needing to shorten the clubs a bit.
    This is what my first google search resulted in Link.
    "Golf's a grand game. It combines the skill of billards, with the mystery of gardening." David Merry

Comment

As a second note, you may be able to shorten the clubs to the propert length, while also keeping the club weight the same.
      You could also get thinner gribs which might give you the same feel on the grips as if you were choking down.
      "Golf's a grand game. It combines the skill of billards, with the mystery of gardening." David Merry

Comment

Thanks mikejb. That link is pretty neat. Some good tips/advice there. I will talk to clubmaker I know and see what he can do. Cheers.
        Winston Churchill

Comment

You might also check your spin angle and see if your bending over too much which would also make a difference. I suggest going to a club fitter and getting them measured too. Might cost you some change now but save you strokes for ever.
          I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted". ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by noback
            You might also check your spin angle and see if your bending over too much which would also make a difference. I suggest going to a club fitter and getting them measured too. Might cost you some change now but save you strokes for ever.
            Yeah, I actually had my swing analyzed before and my spine angle is correct for my height and arm length. I agree, getting customized clubs might be my answer to becoming a single digit handicapper.

Mikejb, funny thing about that link you sent me. After completing the Custom Fitting Wizard the results said that my club length fit should be "plus 0.5 inches". Does that mean my clubs should be lengthened?? I hope not.
            Winston Churchill

Comment

Focker, maybe they are already 0.5" too long. That also could be incorrect information.

I do not know the proper way to measure clubs, but I would think a pro would.

Comment

Originally posted by Focker Singh
                Yeah, I actually had my swing analyzed before and my spine angle is correct for my height and arm length. I agree, getting customized clubs might be my answer to becoming a single digit handicapper.

Mikejb, funny thing about that link you sent me. After completing the Custom Fitting Wizard the results said that my club length fit should be "plus 0.5 inches". Does that mean my clubs should be lengthened?? I hope not.
                Be careful. As you browse the Internet you will find charts that have standard lengths. The problem is that I have now seen charts that have three standard lengths for clubs. When fitting we normally talk about the length of the 5 iron and then go up and down from there.

The "standards" for the 5 iron are, 37.5", 37.75" and 38" with steel shafts. So whose standards do you choose? Regardless, the +0.5" that the fitting wizard recommended for you means that your 5 iron length should be 38.25". The charts that I use take a measurement of wrist hinge to floor and your height, and relate the two into a recommended length. The up-to-date standard for the 21st century is this: http://www.dynacraftgolf.com/techtip...p.cfm?tipid=63
                Part of the reason for this is that most shafts, particularly steel, have become a lot lighter in overall weight, so the golfer is better able to handle a slight increase in length.

By choking down a lot, you are changing two parameters of your golf club. The shafts will play a lot stiffer and the swingweight will play a lot lower so they will feel much lighter. The third/fourth consequence is that you will hit the ball shorter and lower, all other things being equal, however, if you hit the ball better, then that may make up for some of the distance loss, and expect a little more run upon landing. This extra run may be the reason that your overall distance has not changed from playing the clubs at full length. If the greens are soft this is OK, bit to firm greens, you may need a litle more juice. By changing the SW and the stiffness, there may be no negative consequences, except in the feel of the club, although a stiffer playing shaft tends not to hook/draw as much.
                Last edited by Shadow; Dec 16, 2004, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Get fitted. End of story.
                  Cobra S2 10.5 - Stock Fuji
                  Cobra Baffler TWS 20 - Aldila NVS
                  Cobra Baffler TWS 23 - Aldila NVS
                  5-PW Mizuno MX23 - DGS300
                  Mizuno MP-R 52.07 - DGS300
                  X-Forged MD 56 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
                  X-Forged MD 60 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
                  Odyssey Black Tour Design #9
                  Titleist ProV1x