Collapse

Help with Chipping Technique

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Chipping Technique

What is your technique for hitting those chips that are are about 30-40% in the air to the green and then 60-70% roll to the pin. I often find myself in that spot and clearly need to practice these.

My problem is I get under the ball and don't get a good roll. I am trying to keep my hands forward and pop the ball out but either it is too high and soft or fat.

Also it would be interesting to hear what club you use in these situations, say about 5-10 yds off the green and then you want the ball to roll 40 feet.

Re: Help with Chipping Technique

Step 1: Buy Mickelson's "Secrets of the Short Game" DVD
    Step 2: Watch it
    Step 3: Practice it
    Step 4: Go to step 2

Seriously, that DVD has changed my game.
    Basic concept is "hinge and hold".
    You hinge your wrists back at the start of the swing, and you finish the swing with your body turn through impact (always keeping your hands ahead of the clubhead).
    For different flight/roll out combos, you change clubs.
    i.e. all flight/little to no roll = 60/58/56* wedge
    1/3rd flight / 2/3rds roll = 9 iron / PW

On the shot you describe, I would use a PW (your mileage may vary).
    Hinge the wrists back, but not very far... clubhead maybe gets 6" outside my rear leg, and then turn through.
    Same shot all flight/no roll, I would use my 56* wedge, hinge back so club is about waist height/parallel to ground, then turn through.

It's remarkably simple to pick up.
    Watch the dvd even just once, then do one practice session with the basic technique, and you should "get it" almost immediately.
    From there it's just a matter of playing with different clubs hinge/swing length.

I've gone from around 25% up and down conversion to about 60% now... and that's with me being a cruddy putter.

An alternative approach that I picked up at a golf school and recently showed a friend of mine with good results is a similar idea, but the execution is a bit different:
    - set up with a narrow, slightly open stance
    - ball position opposite rear foot
    - using your wedge of choice (PW/SW) you set your hands forward of the ball, say opposite your forward thigh
    - but you aren't just moving your hands forward when you set them, you actually roll your forearms into impact position (so the back of your lead hand points towards the ground)
    - this results in 'hooding' the club face since the ball position is back
    - turn your shoulders back and through, keeping the hands/clubshaft/ball position relationship intact (typically referred to as 'firm wrists')
    - this creates a low running chip shot with a bit of 'hook' spin on it
    - the key is that you are hitting down on the ball, not scooping it... and don't be afraid to hit down on the ball with some authority.

My instructor called it 'idiot proof' chipping... and while it doesn't work for every shot (i.e. over an obstacle), for a basic off the green running chip, it works quite well, and is pretty tough to really mess up.

I find the key in good chipping/pitching in general is to watch your shoulder turn/wrist hinge, and make sure you getting the clubhead to go 'up' on your backswing.
    In watching playing partners, the tendency is to turn the shoulders parallel to the ground, or hinge the wrists back instead of 'up'... and all that does is get your clubhead moving around you in a circle, which makes crisp ball contact very difficult to pull off.
    The shots have to be made with a descending blow into the ball.
    Last edited by Pubknight; May 1, 2011, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I don't know what your technique is or what club you're using (since I've not seen you hit these shots), but it sounds like you're using at least a SW or higher-lofted wedge and allowing the clubface to release at impact and through. Try using a PW for these shots as this tends to fly lower on chips and rolls out more after a slight "check up" after impact (depending on club speed and purity of contact). Using a lower-lofted club like an 8-iron will give you a lot more roll-out, but you run the danger of not getting to the green first. Experimentation is the best thing to do.
      As for the technique, I like to treat these similar to a long putt, with very little wrist hinge on the backswing and none on the follow-through. My preferred techique is a square clubface and square to the target with the ball less than a ball-width behind centre of the stance. This creates much less additional lofting of the club than an "open" stance.
      Hope this helps.

This technique can be found in Stan Utley's Art of the Short Game.
      Last edited by goshawk; May 1, 2011, 10:43 AM.
      U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

As for the technique, I like to treat these similar to a long putt, with very little wrist hinge on the backswing and none on the follow-through.
        Interesting. I don't hinge the wrist at all. In addition to what has been mentioned, keep most of your weight on your front foot.

I would start with a pitching wedge until you are comfortable with that club and then you can experiment with other clubs for more loft.

I will even use a sand wedge to chip over a bunker if there is a fair amount of roll to the pin. For shots a foot off the green, but in heavy rough, I am experimenting with a 9 iron to keep it as low as possible. Club selection gives you a fair amount of versitility in chip shots.
        In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
        and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Originally posted by HacknSlash View Post
          What is your technique for hitting those chips that are are about 30-40% in the air to the green and then 60-70% roll to the pin. I often find myself in that spot and clearly need to practice these.

My problem is I get under the ball and don't get a good roll. I am trying to keep my hands forward and pop the ball out but either it is too high and soft or fat.

Also it would be interesting to hear what club you use in these situations, say about 5-10 yds off the green and then you want the ball to roll 40 feet.
          you can't teach chipping on a forum. Go see an instructor and specifically sign up for that.

Comment

All of the above is pretty good fundamental-based advice. I spend most of my golfing life using that technique with mixed results because I'm more of a "keep a clear head and just hit the damn ball" kind of a player. I tried a few different things but I found that I had to keep it simple and I had some pretty good results.
            Now I like to keep my hands in front of the club with a bit of wrist hinge and use a putting/pendulum type of stroke. Distance is determined by club selection.
            Try it next time you're practicing. It might make you feel a little more comfortable with that type of shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Pubknight View Post
              Step 1: Buy Mickelson's "Secrets of the Short Game" DVD
              Step 2: Watch it
              Step 3: Practice it
              Step 4: Go to step 2

Seriously, that DVD has changed my game.
              Basic concept is "hinge and hold".
              You hinge your wrists back at the start of the swing, and you finish the swing with your body turn through impact (always keeping your hands ahead of the clubhead).
              For different flight/roll out combos, you change clubs.
              i.e. all flight/little to no roll = 60/58/56* wedge
              1/3rd flight / 2/3rds roll = 9 iron / PW

On the shot you describe, I would use a PW (your mileage may vary).
              Hinge the wrists back, but not very far... clubhead maybe gets 6" outside my rear leg, and then turn through.
              Same shot all flight/no roll, I would use my 56* wedge, hinge back so club is about waist height/parallel to ground, then turn through.

It's remarkably simple to pick up.
              Watch the dvd even just once, then do one practice session with the basic technique, and you should "get it" almost immediately.
              From there it's just a matter of playing with different clubs hinge/swing length.

I've gone from around 25% up and down conversion to about 60% now... and that's with me being a cruddy putter.
              I bought the same DVD and had excellent results as well. I find DVD's have the added benefit of you being able to review them as many times as you need. Considering what we spend on golf I consider Phil's DVD a bargain.

Regards,
              Dan
              What's in the bag......

Big Bertha V w Attas Rockstar
              TEE Fairway Wood
              Razr 4 and 5 Hybrid
              TLT'd Srixon Z745's 6-PW MODUS3 TOUR 105
              Scor 4161 Wedges

Odyssey Works Versa

Comment

Originally posted by Tour50 View Post
                I bought the same DVD and had excellent results as well. I find DVD's have the added benefit of you being able to review them as many times as you need. Considering what we spend on golf I consider Phil's DVD a bargain.

Regards,
                Dan
                Agreed - will go down as one of Phil's significant contributions to teaching the game IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dekker View Post
                  you can't teach chipping on a forum. Go see an instructor and specifically sign up for that.
                  I agree with the value of lessons but money is limited. I think there are some things I can learn and improve with other resources (I will look into the Mickelson DVD) such as chipping, putting, course management. I will save my lessons for working on the full swing and hitting the tougher clubs like long Irons and driver.

Comment

you can't teach chipping on a forum
                    So very true. I've tried to describe a shot with mechanics and feel and its just too tough.

One thing I encourage is shots that have no spin

Comment

I agree with the value of lessons but money is limited. I think there are some things I can learn and improve with other resources (I will look into the Mickelson DVD) such as chipping, putting, course management. I will save my lessons for working on the full swing and hitting the tougher clubs like long Irons and driver.
                      As long as you leave the 60 / 64 at home after u watch the DVD, u'll be fine.

PM / ask Nino on how well those flop shots worked out for him after he watched the dvd

Comment

I don't know what the exact cost of Mick's DVD on the short game is but I can tell you that spending 1 hr, one on one, with a good instructor will make a huge difference in your understanding and execution of the chipping technique.

IMHO,spending all your money on swing, long irons and driver lessons is about the same as going to the range and hitting nothing but drivers.
                        It's your money so spend it as you see fit.

Comment

I don't know what the exact cost of Mick's DVD on the short game is but I can tell you that spending 1 hr, one on one, with a good instructor will make a huge difference in your understanding and execution of the chipping technique.

IMHO,spending all your money on swing, long irons and driver lessons is about the same as going to the range and hitting nothing but drivers.
                          It's your money so spend it as you see fit.
                          I respect your point. Another factor for me is that part of the fun in golf is trying to learn it on my own. Reading, looking at online videos and trying different things is fun and cheap!

In the end if I have done what I can and am not happy with the progress I will spend some time with an instructor.

Comment

+1 on Phil's Secret of the Short Game - the hinge and hold works very well - you need to keep practicing this technique as part of your regular routine...

Comment

Phil's DVD is the way, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T WATCH THE SPECIALTY PART! haha those FLOP shots ruined my scores last year lol
                              Cobra King F7
                              Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
                              Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
                              Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
                              Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
                              Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse