Collapse

Releasing the club: Role of the right hand

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Releasing the club: Role of the right hand

As a right handed golfer how active should the right hand be in the downswing?

I have been struggling with slicing or leaking my drives to the right. I have tried many different drills and swing thoughts and yet to solve this problem.

At the range when I put my feet together and drop my right foot back I can hit beautiful draws. But on the course nothing goes left.

Today at the range on my downswing I was actively firing my right arm and hand towards the ball as I approached impact. My shots with my driver were straighter. I don't know if this is a good thing to do or if I am forcing things rather than swinging through the ball.
    Last edited by Johnson; Aug 15, 2011, 12:30 AM.

Re: Releasing the club: Role of the right hand

I'm a lefty, but it sounds like we have a similar problem with the "power fade". Something I've tried recently that has been a huge help, is I've narrowed my stance which has forced me to rotate my hips through the ball more. It has led to a much straighter ball flight....might be something to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post

I have been struggling with slicing or leaking my drives to the right. I have tried many different drills and swing thoughts and yet to solve this problem.

At the range when I put my feet together and drop my right foot back I can hit beautiful draws. But on the course nothing goes left.

Today at the range on my downswing I was actively firing my right arm and hand towards the ball as I approached impact. My shots with my driver were straighter. I don't know if this is a good thing to do or if I am forcing things rather than swinging through the ball.
      Have a look at the new swing path(flight) laws and try to conceptualize and understand them before the next time you head to the range.
      The right hand is the power-hand in most methods except those that emphasize the pull with the left. Either way, what is really important is that you familiarize yourself with the cause and effect of the new flight laws.

Comment

well if you watch the pros they introduce the club with the right hand(for righties) upon address.Frank Nobilo tried to say this was new among young tour players when he was analyzing Jason Days swing, but that is bunk,I have noticed this for years going back to Jack.
        The right hand can dominate to whole swing if placed on the club correctly,that is the trick.

Comment

If the result is a good one, use it.

Another factor that can affect your flight to produce the fade or slice is too much grip pressure with your left hand. Try loosening up.

What you are describing, I think, Is that you are swinging your club on more of an inside line - not sure

Comment

I am trying to find a role for the right hand because it is just taking over and flipping. This causes thin shots for me and absolutely no confidence in the quality of the strike. The only way I have been able to cope this year is to work on leaving the right hand out of the swing, especially through the bottom.
            Has anyone found a way to feel the proper motion with the right hand so that it can be used as a power source?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by danstanford View Post
              Has anyone found a way to feel the proper motion with the right hand so that it can be used as a power source?

Dan
              I read in a recent issue of Golf Digest, Tom Watson describes the right hand motion like throwing a ball underhand. In my personal experience I agree with the him. Kind of underhand/ sidearm motion.

Comment

If you're leaking right, it means your club path is good going inside to out but your club face is open at impact if I'm not mistaken.
                Close up the face a bit maybe?

I find the club face at address doesn't quite match what it would be like at impact. It's a common mistake for us mortals I think as the address and impact positions are 2 very different things. It's different for everyone too I'm sure.

For me, if I square my club face at address and then position my body and arms to simulate what it would look like at impact, the club face becomes open for me resulting in a fade.

So I've been setting my grip in the impact position so that the club face is squared, then address the ball. In doing this, the club face looks slightly close at address but I'm hitting that ball damn straight and long most of the times now.

Comment

Skipping rock is another good mental image that works for me as it involves turning your hip and shifting the weight forward.

Hugging the right elbow to my side also works in fighting the dreaded slice-induced outside in swing.

Originally posted by SMB1 View Post
                  I read in a recent issue of Golf Digest, Tom Watson describes the right hand motion like throwing a ball underhand. In my personal experience I agree with the him. Kind of underhand/ sidearm motion.

Comment

Originally posted by phanker View Post
                    If you're leaking right, it means your club path is good going inside to out but your club face is open at impact if I'm not mistaken.
                    Close up the face a bit maybe?

I find the club face at address doesn't quite match what it would be like at impact. It's a common mistake for us mortals I think as the address and impact positions are 2 very different things. It's different for everyone too I'm sure.

For me, if I square my club face at address and then position my body and arms to simulate what it would look like at impact, the club face becomes open for me resulting in a fade.

So I've been setting my grip in the impact position so that the club face is squared, then address the ball. In doing this, the club face looks slightly close at address but I'm hitting that ball damn straight and long most of the times now.

After some time at the range I think you are right. I dont know if there is anyway to slow down my upper body / shoulders on the downswing and use more legs / hips?

I did try closing my shoulders at address pulling the left shoulder in. That helped.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X