Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to golf. Advice on improving my swing?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New to golf. Advice on improving my swing?

    Hi folks

    Im new to golf this year. Have taken 5 lessons with a pro and have made considerable progress. I can drive 220-250 but was really slicing it often, so Iíve focused on slowing down and getting the ball to go straight. I am still often heeling the ball but itís going straight more often now.

    Watching my video it seems I donít move my hips and shoulders enough to generate power. Any advice on how to improve this without losing control? Or general advice is welcome as well.

    https://youtu.be/mNqyFMEhHXU

    https://youtu.be/3aZf9nqo0bA

    thanks in advance!

  • #2
    Not bad for first year.
    Your wrists are locked up and the club doesn't set. If you could work on getting more fluid in your wrists the club would reach parallel in your backswing thereby increasing the size of your arc and with changing nothing else, this would add a few MPH to you swing speed and add yards.
    Work with your coach on SWAY. You sway a bit in your backswing which messes with your lowpoint (fat iron and wedge shots) but also saps you of some power as you need more timing in your downswing to crack the whip.

    I always say this to new golfers so here it goes again: THROW CLUBS. Get yourself like a $2-5 steel-shafted 8iron (or shorter club, even a wedge) and go throw them in a baseball diamond at first. Forget about any concept of the golf swing you have and just whip the club str8 in front of you. Aim at the second baseman's spot to actually throw it over second base. If your slice is more swing than grip related and you try to do your golf swing and just let go of the club you will end up throwing the club way left of 3rd base line. Once you can throw clubs str8, you can hit balls str8 with those mechanics...or hit draws.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SmoothBomber View Post
      Not bad for first year.
      Your wrists are locked up and the club doesn't set. If you could work on getting more fluid in your wrists the club would reach parallel in your backswing thereby increasing the size of your arc and with changing nothing else, this would add a few MPH to you swing speed and add yards.
      Work with your coach on SWAY. You sway a bit in your backswing which messes with your lowpoint (fat iron and wedge shots) but also saps you of some power as you need more timing in your downswing to crack the whip.

      I always say this to new golfers so here it goes again: THROW CLUBS. Get yourself like a $2-5 steel-shafted 8iron (or shorter club, even a wedge) and go throw them in a baseball diamond at first. Forget about any concept of the golf swing you have and just whip the club str8 in front of you. Aim at the second baseman's spot to actually throw it over second base. If your slice is more swing than grip related and you try to do your golf swing and just let go of the club you will end up throwing the club way left of 3rd base line. Once you can throw clubs str8, you can hit balls str8 with those mechanics...or hit draws.
      Thanks for the feedback! The throwing drill sounds quite handy. Iíll give it a shot and when I go for my next lesson will talk to my instructor about those issues. Itís just so hard to fix in what seems like such little time.
      Last edited by 4zim; Sep 16, 2019, 12:56 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        NP. Throwing is a quick cure. Addresses aim, club path, sequencing, and release all in one handy drill with obvious feedback. This is the reason Sir Henry Cotton's students don't even hit a ball for weeks when they go to him. They only throw clubs.

        Comment


        • #5
          Go see a golf instructor, simple as that. Self diagnosis and diagnosis from playing partners and the internet will create all sorts of new problems. I'd guess hes going to reduce the movement in your swing and change your ball position right off the hop. I've been sub par a few times this year, rarely get into the 80s and saw a teacher myself to correct some issues that came up. BEST MONEY SPENT let me tell you!
          Rip it and Sip it

          Comment


          • #6
            After posting this I went back to the course and didnít hit a single fairway. Over thinking it and too static.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by storm View Post
              Go see a golf instructor, simple as that. Self diagnosis and diagnosis from playing partners and the internet will create all sorts of new problems. I'd guess hes going to reduce the movement in your swing and change your ball position right off the hop. I've been sub par a few times this year, rarely get into the 80s and saw a teacher myself to correct some issues that came up. BEST MONEY SPENT let me tell you!
              ^^^^ THIS: Only when you are face to face with your instructor do you get the immediate feed back and correction advice. If you just mess around with drills that you don't even understand in the first place you can only hurt your progress.

              If you are more specific about your location I am sure somebody on here will be able to guide you to a good Pro in your immediate area.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

                ^^^^ THIS: Only when you are face to face with your instructor do you get the immediate feed back and correction advice. If you just mess around with drills that you don't even understand in the first place you can only hurt your progress.

                If you are more specific about your location I am sure somebody on here will be able to guide you to a good Pro in your immediate area.

                Yea Iíve been seeing a pro for lessons. Itís very helpful while there but then over time I seem to lose some of what Iím taught...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 4zim View Post


                  Yea Iíve been seeing a pro for lessons. Itís very helpful while there but then over time I seem to lose some of what Iím taught...
                  Yes I saw that in your OP, 5 lessons is a good start, but has the instructor seen the videos and given you any suggestions?
                  Typically an instructor will give you specific drills to work on between sessions, and then go over them with you to insure you have it right.
                  If not, the instructor will usually keep repeating that drill before completely moving on to the next level.
                  I used to go to the range 2 or 3 times between sessions for that purpose, yes it can be really boring, but for some it takes longer than others. Hope you get it worked out OK.

                  Comment


                  Join The TGN Email List

                  Collapse

                  Recently Joined

                  Collapse

                  Topics: 172,447   Posts: 1,801,131   Members: 46,958   Active Members: 253
                  Welcome to our newest member, okapiec28.

                  Today's Birthdays

                  Collapse

                  PGA Leaderboard

                  Collapse


                  TGN Sponsors

                  Working...
                  X