Scotland Golf Trip

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland Golf Trip

Hi everyone,

I am lucky enough to have some connections in Scotland, so I have been able to get good rates at some of the best courses in Scotland. I have never played any of these courses, so I was hoping y'all could help tell me which ones I should be playing 36 holes at. I know they are all great golf courses, but I am hoping to play 36 at only 3 of the courses. Tough decisions!

The courses are (in order of schedule):
    -North Berwick
    -Carnoustie
    -Royal Aberdeen
    -Trump International Aberdeen
    -Cruden Bay
    -Nairn
    -Castle Stuart
    -Royal Dornoch (already have booked 36)

Any recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Cal

Tough decisions indeed! Sounds like you've allocated one of your 36 hole days to Dornoch - agreed. As for the other two, for me it would be between North Berwick, Carnoustie, and Cruden Bay. NB has some holes and golf architectural history that you're simply not going to see elsewhere, pus it's great fun to play. I thought Carnoustie was one of the strongest (but fair) courses I've ever played - its "Car-nastie" moniker is not deserved IMHO. Plus it will be hosting the Open this year if you want to play a course that you've recently seen (or will see? - not sure when you're going) on TV. That said, if you're playing there before the Open then most of the fairway landing areas will be roped off so I think you either have to play off mats there or drop your ball by the side of the fairway - something to bear in mind if that will diminish your enjoyment over a day. And although I've not played Cruden Bay, I only hear good things about it.

You've got a bit of driving ahead of you, but sure you'll have a great time. Fingers crossed the weather agrees!

Comment

Agree with banana slice - Definitely check to see if you are not playing off mats at canoustie. I would not want to play 18 never mind 36 off mats. Cruden Bay is fabulous. Haven't been there since the made a few changes but,I am sure they are for the better. Despite what some may think of the owner, I have heard nothing but great things about Trump Aberdeen.

Comment

Originally posted by bobby Jones View Post
        Agree with banana slice - Definitely check to see if you are not playing off mats at canoustie. I would not want to play 18 never mind 36 off mats. Cruden Bay is fabulous. Haven't been there since the made a few changes but,I am sure they are for the better. Despite what some may think of the owner, I have heard nothing but great things about Trump Aberdeen.
        Thanks for the input guys, its nice to hear some opinions other than these biased golf review sites.

Luckily we are at Carnoustie on May 12th, and they begin using mats on May 21st. So I may be taking some of the last divots before the Open.

The friends we have from Scotland told us if they had to pick from all of the courses, they would choose Trump Aberdeen. Supposedly it gets a bad reputation because of its owner, but when it is separated and judged as solely a golf course, it is one of the best in the country.

Right now I am leaning towards 36 at Royal Dornoch, Trump Aberdeen, and either one of North Berwick or Carnoustie.

Comment

I liked Trump Aberdeen, but for the price, I wouldn't return. In fact, I think Castle Stuart is a better course, and I suspect many might find it their favourite even on the list your suggesting. Nairn is interesting, with some holes that play away from the water and up a hill, and if you're in the area, Fraserburgh is quite good, as is Murcar (next to Royal Aberdeen). In fact, I'd play Royal Aberdeen ahead of Trump. Finally, I'm a huge fan of North Berwick -- the town, the course, all of it. Wonderful place for 36, just be careful if you park your car alongside the 18th fairway.
          Golf blog: canadiangolfer.com/g4g

Comment

Originally posted by RobertThompson View Post
            I liked Trump Aberdeen, but for the price, I wouldn't return. In fact, I think Castle Stuart is a better course, and I suspect many might find it their favourite even on the list your suggesting. Nairn is interesting, with some holes that play away from the water and up a hill, and if you're in the area, Fraserburgh is quite good, as is Murcar (next to Royal Aberdeen). In fact, I'd play Royal Aberdeen ahead of Trump. Finally, I'm a huge fan of North Berwick -- the town, the course, all of it. Wonderful place for 36, just be careful if you park your car alongside the 18th fairway.
            Would certainly add Castle Stuart to my list if I wanted a break from playing links courses but that's why I go to Scotland. Can play all the parkland courses and 'links style' courses I want in North America. If Duffer wants another great links to add to his list and would nominate Brora. Classic links and unique in so many ways. Email Tony Gill to set you up.......
            If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Comment

Originally posted by RCCHGA View Post

Would certainly add Castle Stuart to my list if I wanted a break from playing links courses but that's why I go to Scotland. Can play all the parkland courses and 'links style' courses I want in North America. If Duffer wants another great links to add to his list and would nominate Brora. Classic links and unique in so many ways. Email Tony Gill to set you up.......
              But Castle Stuart is a links ... so I'm confused.
              Golf blog: canadiangolfer.com/g4g

Comment

Hi:

I have played all of these. Don't know how old you are or what kind of shape you're in, but I would consider the ease/difficulty of the walk in deciding where to play 36. I'd also space it out so that you don't do it back-to-back days. If it was me I would go with North Berwick and Carnoustie (both classic courses, nice and flat). Of course, at Trump, I suppose you could take a cart, if you must.

Comment

Anyone hear of Mortonhall course near Edinburgh? Any reviews?
                  addicted to G.

Comment

Originally posted by Phnert View Post
                    Anyone hear of Mortonhall course near Edinburgh? Any reviews?
                    I know it very well having been a member there since I was a junior. Although I now live in the GTA, I go home often enough to visit family that I'm still a country member at Mortonhall for a nominal cost (I'll be heading home in a few weeks and will certainly be dropping by for a round or too, hopefully as the gorse is in bloom). In my unbiased (ahem) opinion, it is one of the best parkland courses in Edinburgh with some spectacular views over Edinburgh and beyond from a number of holes. Be prepared for a good walk as there are a fair number of elevation changes. Are you visiting the area and thinking of a round? Happy to answer PMs etc if you want more details.

Comment

Have played all of them except Castle Stuart. As someone mentioned above - pace yourself. My choices would be North Berwick, Nairn and Royal Dornoch. Carnoustie is great, but don't like getting beat up twice in the same day! Or do Royal Aberdeen and Murcar in one day - they're side by side.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X