Collapse

RIVIERA MAYA G&CC - MY REVIEW

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIVIERA MAYA G&CC - MY REVIEW

Returned a week ago last Monday from a wonderful week w/my wife and 2 oldest daughters at the Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an resort (Seems like forever ago now sad to say!!)...

We stayed at a part of the resort that was a quick walk to the proshop of the Golf Course:

PGA Riviera Maya official website. The only golf course in Tulum. 27 holes, a wonderful clubhouse, restaurant, golf shop and golf academy. ¡Book online!

Just love this place, our 3rd year in a row, and I played 6 rounds while I was there. The proshop and starter staff are excellent, very service oriented for the most part and I purchased what I felt to be a reasonable package that saw me pay $80 US per round for what is an amazing track in my opinion, designed by Robert Trent Jones II.

Many very interesting holes, the highlight being the par 4 #6 cenote hole that features one of the Mexican cave/water pools immediately beside the green (Photos attached). This is the toughest hole on the course per the scorecard, and I managed to par it twice (both really good birde opps unfortunately)...

Many other great holes, the diabolical par 5 16th which to me was the hardest hole (2nd per the scorecard), managed to par it on the last day happy to say.

Anyway, look at the 'hole by hole' videos for a better idea:

PGA Riviera Maya official website. The only golf course in Tulum. 27 holes, a wonderful clubhouse, restaurant, golf shop and golf academy. ¡Book online!

Golfed on my own just once, and met some wonderful, friendly fellow golf addicts from around the world.

Excellent course, great resort and considering it is 'premium' 5 star, it's very reasonably priced as it's in the jungle vs. oceanside, and you're only a 10 min cart right to the resort's beach section near the other Bahia resorts that are very close by (You get to use the restaurant facilities at the Bahia Coba, Akumel and Tulum resorts as well while you stay at the Sian Ka'an).

Highly recommended!!

- Ian
    TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
    TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
    TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
    * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
    TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
    TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
    TM TP5 Golf Ball
    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
    Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Great Course, I have a house about 15Min north, near Puerto Aventuras. I always get a few rounds in when I'm down there. Love #11 #16.

Comment

Absolutely love that course. When I played no.4 i remember 2 huge iguana sitting along the edge of that deep gourg.

when we stayed at the Bia Principe golf was “free” you just had to pay the $60 USD cart fee....worth it though as it included unlimited drinks and snacks...

Comment

Originally posted by Nekropunk View Post
        Great Course, I have a house about 15Min north, near Puerto Aventuras. I always get a few rounds in when I'm down there. Love #11 #16.
        Actually birdied the 11th on my 3rd day, one of my best drives of the week over the water, into the wind, landing about 40 yards from the pin (dirty looks from foursome putting at the time)...

The Par 5 16th was my nemesis until my final round, FINALLY hit a very respectable 260 yd drive down the middle, safe 7 iron struck to the 110 yd mark, PW into the wind to just off the front of the green, 20’ from the pin, 2 putt par and I couldn’t have been happier - The hole is a beast!!

Good times!

- Ian
        TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
        TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
        TM TP5 Golf Ball
        Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
        SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Nice work, 15 is a beast! takes more than a few rounds to get the hang of. #16 is also my Fav. par 3 in Mexico. Closest I have ever come to a hole in 1. Rolled it 6" past the cup. I'll never forget it, we walked up to the green and my father in law looks at me and says, "no one will ever believe you birdied this hole"

I love the course, and personally i think its only slightly behind El Camelion @ Mayakoba for the best course in the Rivera. I would say its a better value for the $ than Mayakoba. but Mayakoba has a PGA event.

Comment

Nice work, 15 is a beast! takes more than a few rounds to get the hang of. #16 is also my Fav. par 3 in Mexico. Closest I have ever come to a hole in 1. Rolled it 6" past the cup. I'll never forget it, we walked up to the green and my father in law looks at me and says, "no one will ever believe you birdied this hole"

I love the course, and personally i think its only slightly behind El Camelion @ Mayakoba for the best course in the Rivera. I would say its a better value for the $ than Mayakoba. but Mayakoba has a PGA event.
            Hey Nekro,

I presume you're referring to the Par 3 #15 over the lake? (Plays into the wind generally) - One of the most picturesque on the course, and oh so difficult, just before the Par 5 #16 I refer to earlier...

I only hit par once, and it was an inch from a bird, great fun.

As an aside, after the joy of hitting par on the Par 5 #16, I birdied the last Par 3 #17 quite surprisingly - I hit my tee shot about 30' to the left of the pin just off the green, hit a 'bump' and run with my 8 iron straight to the heart...

Overall, a great ending to my last round in Mexico, and a great memory to hold onto for the upcoming season.

Cheers,

- Ian
            TM TP5 Golf Ball
            Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
            SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Yes you are correct, such a beauty of a hole.

Comment

Forgot I had a photo on my iPhone of the Par 3 #15 - Not sure if it does it justice, but what a nice and challenging hole.

Seems the wind is always blowing hard against you when on the elevated tee (227/190 from Blues/Whites respectively), which makes it all the more challenging...

If you zoom in on the pic, I hit my 'best' tee shot of the week landed just off the green about where the guy in the middle of the 3 guys on the green is standing, if the ball is a couple more feet behind him, it would've rolled in the water - It was appropriate to use my putter, and hit it to about an inch of the hole, an 'almost' bird, but a relieved par!!

It's listed as the 6th hardest hole on the course, but in my mind, it was playing harder than the Par 4 #6, once again considered the hardest hole on the course.

TM TP5 Golf Ball
                Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Anyone played this course who didn't stay at Bahia Principe? I'm going to be staying a couple of miles north of there (Akumal) in March. Not sure I want to pay the rack rate. For sure I'd take my clubs down if I could get on at a decent price.

Also, has anyone play both this course and the Playa Mujures course (north of Cancun, near Punta Sam)? I played that course last year and loved it. Wondering how the 2 courses compare?!?

Comment

Go see Bart who Owns Turtle bay Cafe in Akumal. Bart's an Ex Pat who plays almost daily and is always looking for people to play with. He can usually get you a rate around $40-50 USD even if he isn't playing. He has a golf blog called Loco Gringo.

Comment

Go see Bart who Owns Turtle bay Cafe in Akumal. Bart's an Ex Pat who plays almost daily and is always looking for people to play with. He can usually get you a rate around $40-50 USD even if he isn't playing. He has a golf blog called Loco Gringo.
                      Thanks Nekropunk! Totally forgot about that. I met Bart years ago as we eat there a couple of times each trip. Never took my clubs with me on those trips though.

Comment

Originally posted by emvee View Post

Thanks Nekropunk! Totally forgot about that. I met Bart years ago as we eat there a couple of times each trip. Never took my clubs with me on those trips though.
                        Great guy, and the best Eggs Benny in the area.

Comment

thanks for the reviews! I am heading there on april 1st for the week with the family and I am looking to play a round! we are staying at the Bahia Principe punta cana fantasia resort so hope it isn't too far? they say it is a short golf cart drive.
                          "My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to sleep at night. In between, I occupy myself as best as I can" Cary Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Dano Twoface View Post
                            thanks for the reviews! I am heading there on april 1st for the week with the family and I am looking to play a round! we are staying at the Bahia Principe punta cana fantasia resort so hope it isn't too far? they say it is a short golf cart drive.
                            Yes, a short cart drive to the airport, then about a hour long flight to Cancun, then about 90 min by bus from there - Assuming the cart gets to 15KM per hour max(?) to the Airport in the Dominican, I'm thinking it's only going take you about 12 hours to get to the Mayan Riviera G&CC...

Sorry Dano, couldn't resist, but I hear the D.R., and Punta Cana have some wonderful ocean side courses - Have fun!!
                            TM TP5 Golf Ball
                            Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                            SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post

Yes, a short cart drive to the airport, then about a hour long flight to Cancun, then about 90 min by bus from there - Assuming the cart gets to 15KM per hour max(?) to the Airport in the Dominican, I'm thinking it's only going take you about 12 hours to get to the Mayan Riviera G&CC...

Sorry Dano, couldn't resist, but I hear the D.R., and Punta Cana have some wonderful ocean side courses - Have fun!!
                              so what you are saying is, I should leave today?
                              "My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to sleep at night. In between, I occupy myself as best as I can" Cary Grant

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X