No announcement yet.
Collapse

RIVIERA MAYA G&CC - MY REVIEW

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, if you are out early morning when it's borderline daylight ( like me ), I suggest to bring along bug-spray. They have these very small black mosquitoes that find me quite tasty. Unfortunately they rarely make a buzzing sound so you have no idea you are being bitten. And being very small, you don't feel them land on you either. They are not that bad, but thought I'd mention it anyway.
    🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
    Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
    Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
    Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
    Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
    Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
    Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
    Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
      Also, if you are out early morning when it's borderline daylight ( like me ), I suggest to bring along bug-spray. They have these very small black mosquitoes that find me quite tasty. Unfortunately they rarely make a buzzing sound so you have no idea you are being bitten. And being very small, you don't feel them land on you either. They are not that bad, but thought I'd mention it anyway.
      could be these which I have encountered on occasion on my trips to Phoenix
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

My last big update:
        I've been down here for 2 weeks with 1 more week still ahead. It has been 29-30* every day, minimal winds, and we had just 20 min of rain once. Not sure if our superb weather is normal for this time of year, or if we just lucked out.

So far I have 6 rounds in, and 3 lengthy range sessions, and will probably finish with 10 rounds. With my month-membership ( $250 + $25 each round ) my avg cost will be $50 $US per round, so zero complaints about my golf cost. I would have golfed a couple more rounds but we had friends visit for a week, so had other entertaining obligations, and maybe the odd hang-over, etc.

I have been first out solo most every round. Sunrise gets delayed about 1 min every day. I was happy to tee off at 6:40am when I got here , but now 6:50am is tolerable, but I have teed off much earlier most days. I hit 5i off the 1st tee ( Whites ) and hoping I get a glimpse of it as the ball enters the lightening sky to track its path. So far no disasters with the the first tee shot. The carts do have head-lights. I will gladly pay the price of poor visibility for the first 1 or 2 holes in order to be first out and a non-slow round at my pace.

I have decided to stick with the White tees at 6000 yards. Whether it's the elevation and/or soft fairways, I am short off the tee. Down here, a very good Drive for me is 230 and my 3H 180-190. At home a good Drive would be 240-250 and 3H 190-205. My iron distances are maybe 1/2 club short. As mentioned a few posts above, for me the front 9 is Hybrid friendly off the tee, while the back 9 is longer and I can reach for the Driver on every Par 4-5. On the back, I only hit Hybrid off the tee on the signature hole, the Par 3 #15. I don't feel like I am cheating the course by playing this way. My best score is +8 on 2 occasions.

Greens do not have consistent speed, which is really my only knock on the course. I don't think they cut or roll them all at once, so whatever their maintenance rotation is, leaves more green variability than one would expect at home. There were 2-3 times that I was on a green and it was like velcro.

They do not often change pin placement either, which hasn't really bothered me except for hole #2. The Par 3 #2 is supposed to be 163 from the Whites, but the White markers have ALWAYS been on the Blue deck at 210 centre, with the pin at the back of the green ( 4 of my 6 rounds ), so really 230. Even at 210 centre, my 3H can barely get me on, and I refuse to hit Driver on any Par 3. More frequent pin adjustment would bring out more of the greens' nuisances and variety. But you are only aware of it if you are here for a longer duration and play frequently to witness the lack of pin change.

Also as mentioned previously, with all the great sand on the Mexican beaches, I am surprised at the coarse sand infused with small gravel in the bunkers. I noticed my 6i now as a sizable chip on the face from FW bunker shot.

Do bring plenty of balls. The fairways are not tight, but if you stray left or right on most every hole, your ball is gone into the bush/jungle, or water. You will not wander more than a couple yards into the bushes to look for a ball. Naturally, balls are pricey in the club-house so load up at home.

I have a Skycaddy Touch and a Leupold Laser.
        On the Skycaddy, the course has no detailed mappings, just yardage to the Pin and Front / Back of green. I am happy I brought my Laser and have used it often. But now I've played the course frequently and hardly use my Laser as I now know what I'm looking at from experience ( and the lack of pin changes ) . I'm not sure how detailed a Garmin GPS might have this course mapped out.

The Caddy-Master Alfredo and his guys are always most helpful and friendly with getting you loaded and unloaded from your cart, whether I am golfing or just dong a day at the range. I keep my bag parked with them and it is either waiting for me when I show up, or retrieved quickly from their storage. I do not fear of having anything stolen / removed. I always tip the guys $1 or $2 for doing so -> these guys put in long hours, 6 days a week.

Even after I will have golfed this 10 times, I am not bored with the course. The layout is interesting and the hazards ( hopefully ) keep one focused on getting off the tee safely. I look forward to returning again next year and doing the same routine of R&R and Golf. I don't know where else in Mexico I can get this quality of golf, ease of access to golf ( 10 minute walk from my front door ), great private accommodations within a resort mega-plex where I can enjoy the resorts' amenities too, and at such a good price for all of it. My wife and I can see spending a month down here next year.

l look forward to Ian's updates when he is back down here again for his 6-7 days of golf during his family vacation.

~ Andy

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​

Comment

Not sure if our superb weather is normal for this time of year
          It is, although it sounds like you might even getting a bit better than normal. Usually mid-November to mid-April is the best (BTW, May to October green fees are much lower in the area for that very reason).

but if you stray left or right on most every hole, your ball is gone into the bush/jungle, or water. You will not wander more than a couple yards into the bushes to look for a ball
          Agreed, but for me I'd say "a couple feet" - I had some balls just trickle in that I was sure would be findable that weren't.

Thanks for your reports. Jealous I'm not there right now with you!

Comment

My last big update:
            I've been down here for 2 weeks with 1 more week still ahead. It has been 29-30* every day, minimal winds, and we had just 20 min of rain once. Not sure if our superb weather is normal for this time of year, or if we just lucked out.

So far I have 6 rounds in, and 3 lengthy range sessions, and will probably finish with 10 rounds. With my month-membership ( $250 + $25 each round ) my avg cost will be $50 $US per round, so zero complaints about my golf cost. I would have golfed a couple more rounds but we had friends visit for a week, so had other entertaining obligations, and maybe the odd hang-over, etc.

I have been first out solo most every round. Sunrise gets delayed about 1 min every day. I was happy to tee off at 6:40am when I got here , but now 6:50am is tolerable, but I have teed off much earlier most days. I hit 5i off the 1st tee ( Whites ) and hoping I get a glimpse of it as the ball enters the lightening sky to track its path. So far no disasters with the the first tee shot. The carts do have head-lights. I will gladly pay the price of poor visibility for the first 1 or 2 holes in order to be first out and a non-slow round at my pace.

I have decided to stick with the White tees at 6000 yards. Whether it's the elevation and/or soft fairways, I am short off the tee. Down here, a very good Drive for me is 230 and my 3H 180-190. At home a good Drive would be 240-250 and 3H 190-205. My iron distances are maybe 1/2 club short. As mentioned a few posts above, for me the front 9 is Hybrid friendly off the tee, while the back 9 is longer and I can reach for the Driver on every Par 4-5. On the back, I only hit Hybrid off the tee on the signature hole, the Par 3 #15. I don't feel like I am cheating the course by playing this way. My best score is +8 on 2 occasions.

Greens do not have consistent speed, which is really my only knock on the course. I don't think they cut or roll them all at once, so whatever their maintenance rotation is, leaves more green variability than one would expect at home. There were 2-3 times that I was on a green and it was like velcro.

They do not often change pin placement either, which hasn't really bothered me except for hole #2. The Par 3 #2 is supposed to be 163 from the Whites, but the White markers have ALWAYS been on the Blue deck at 210 centre, with the pin at the back of the green ( 4 of my 6 rounds ), so really 230. Even at 210 centre, my 3H can barely get me on, and I refuse to hit Driver on any Par 3. More frequent pin adjustment would bring out more of the greens' nuisances and variety. But you are only aware of it if you are here for a longer duration and play frequently to witness the lack of pin change.

Also as mentioned previously, with all the great sand on the Mexican beaches, I am surprised at the coarse sand infused with small gravel in the bunkers. I noticed my 6i now as a sizable chip on the face from FW bunker shot.

Do bring plenty of balls. The fairways are not tight, but if you stray left or right on most every hole, your ball is gone into the bush/jungle, or water. You will not wander more than a couple yards into the bushes to look for a ball. Naturally, balls are pricey in the club-house so load up at home.

I have a Skycaddy Touch and a Leupold Laser.
            On the Skycaddy, the course has no detailed mappings, just yardage to the Pin and Front / Back of green. I am happy I brought my Laser and have used it often. But now I've played the course frequently and hardly use my Laser as I now know what I'm looking at from experience ( and the lack of pin changes ) . I'm not sure how detailed a Garmin GPS might have this course mapped out.

The Caddy-Master Alfredo and his guys are always most helpful and friendly with getting you loaded and unloaded from your cart, whether I am golfing or just dong a day at the range. I keep my bag parked with them and it is either waiting for me when I show up, or retrieved quickly from their storage. I do not fear of having anything stolen / removed. I always tip the guys $1 or $2 for doing so -> these guys put in long hours, 6 days a week.

Even after I will have golfed this 10 times, I am not bored with the course. The layout is interesting and the hazards ( hopefully ) keep one focused on getting off the tee safely. I look forward to returning again next year and doing the same routine of R&R and Golf. I don't know where else in Mexico I can get this quality of golf, ease of access to golf ( 10 minute walk from my front door ), great private accommodations within a resort mega-plex where I can enjoy the resorts' amenities too, and at such a good price for all of it. My wife and I can see spending a month down here next year.

l look forward to Ian's updates when he is back down here again for his 6-7 days of golf during his family vacation.

~ Andy

Great review Andy.

A few comments - I cannot recall the #2 Par 3 playing so long, and I generally play the blues, so wonder what's up with that this year. I wonder if they ratchet up the green maintenance when the peak of 'resort' season comes as I also don't recall such variablity in green speeds...

Your comments about accuracy are bang on - You think you've hit a decent tee shot only to see the ball has rolled off into the bush (IF you find it). One of the more deceiving holes is the Par 5 8th, you feel you've hit a solid drive to right side of the fairway and your ball is gone (Pro shop is nice, but ball brands are limited AND very expensive to your point).

Playing the course a few times significantly helps with course management, and don't lose nearly as many balls now that I have decent knowledge of the course. As I stay at the Sian Ka'an, Alfredo and his team are very accomodating to drive me back to the resort in a golf cart so I can join my wife and daughters as quickly as possible (Always tip them as well).

When I played the course the first time 4 years ago, my Skycaddie had full features in terms of mapping, no more and I've taken this to Skycaddie (PITA). I'm looking forward to using my new Bushnell ProXE with the 'elements' tech (temp/barometric pressure) in addtion to the 'slope' tech as well...

To support your points, great course, decent value and tons of fun. Just over a month away for me!!

Cheers,

- Ian
            TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
            TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
            TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
            TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
            TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
            * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
            TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
            TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
            TM TP5 Golf Ball
            Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
            SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
            Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Comment

Thought I had included the link to the web page with the 'hole by hole' photos:

PGA Riviera Maya official website. The only golf course in Tulum. 27 holes, a wonderful clubhouse, restaurant, golf shop and golf academy. ¡Book online!

I think the Par 3 15th is one of the prettiest Par 3's I'll ever play (and one of the most challenging!)
              TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
              TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
              TM TP5 Golf Ball
              Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
              SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
                Thought I had included the link to the web page with the 'hole by hole' photos:

PGA Riviera Maya official website. The only golf course in Tulum. 27 holes, a wonderful clubhouse, restaurant, golf shop and golf academy. ¡Book online!

I think the Par 3 15th is one of the prettiest Par 3's I'll ever play (and one of the most challenging!)
                Great looking course,

15 looks tough 245 par 3 , not many par 3's I have played that require a 3 wood
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Great looking course,

15 looks tough 245 par 3 , not many par 3's I have played that require a 3 wood
                  227 from the blues and 190 from the whites according to one of cards...

In my recollection, the position of the blue tees was typically around 210ish - Tough as nails with a swirling breeze most times I’ve played...
                  TM TP5 Golf Ball
                  Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                  SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

I don't mind a long Par 3 once in a while, but the White tees on #2 have been on the Blue deck on every of my 7 outings so far, not the White deck. The White deck doesn't look to be damaged so no idea why it is so. I am moving up playing that White deck anyway, usually a 6i off that tee for me, or 5i if it is a Blue flag.

#15 at 190 from the Whites is a fair test of a great Par 3. Regardless of its superb visual, its design is great IMO. Leak it right, short or long, and your ball will be wet. You can bailout short in front of the green where there is a mild grass depression to rein in your ball. The left has a couple nice strategic bunkers too, staggered in distance. You might be in a bunker, or not, in which case a chip and 1-putt is in the cards. So far I have no reason to hit anything but my 3H on this hole. In 7 outings, so far 3 Pars, 2 Bogeys, 2 swimming with the fishes.

#8 I don't hit Driver.
                    I go 3H, 3H, then typically a PW or GW if all goes well.
                    It looks friendly enough off the tee, but leak a Driver a bit right and it will crest the top, land and roll away right, and lost. I've hit a couple nice drives there, but I'm not getting on in 2 anyway with a probable downhill lie to a very elevated green. I want to prevent bleeding on the score-card so play conservative off the tee. Plus at the time I play ( usually solo ) , I am looking into full sun and rarely am able to track my shot. Fortunately I have yet to lose a tee shot on that hole with my 3H.
                    🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​

Comment

I don't mind a long Par 3 once in a while, but the White tees on #2 have been on the Blue deck on every of my 7 outings so far, not the White deck. The White deck doesn't look to be damaged so no idea why it is so. I am moving up playing that White deck anyway, usually a 6i off that tee for me, or 5i if it is a Blue flag.

#15 at 190 from the Whites is a fair test of a great Par 3. Regardless of its superb visual, its design is great IMO. Leak it right, short or long, and your ball will be wet. You can bailout short in front of the green where there is a mild grass depression to rein in your ball. The left has a couple nice strategic bunkers too, staggered in distance. You might be in a bunker, or not, in which case a chip and 1-putt is in the cards. So far I have no reason to hit anything but my 3H on this hole. In 7 outings, so far 3 Pars, 2 Bogeys, 2 swimming with the fishes.

#8 I don't hit Driver.
                      I go 3H, 3H, then typically a PW or GW if all goes well.
                      It looks friendly enough off the tee, but leak a Driver a bit right and it will crest the top, land and roll away right, and lost. I've hit a couple nice drives there, but I'm not getting on in 2 anyway with a probable downhill lie to a very elevated green. I want to prevent bleeding on the score-card so play conservative off the tee. Plus at the time I play ( usually solo ) , I am looking into full sun and rarely am able to track my shot. Fortunately I have yet to lose a tee shot on that hole with my 3H.
                      Andy, your strategy on the 8th is sound and safe - I typically use driver, but aim for the left bunker and generally clear it to a decent position (after being burned by the right side a few too many times!)...

Good times!

- Ian
                      TM TP5 Golf Ball
                      Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                      SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

#15....amazing hole!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Riveria Maya.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	702.3 KB
ID:	3074922

Comment

Back from another amazing week at the Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an - And the great Riviera Maya Golf Club...

Just love this course, and had the pleasure of playing with fellow TGN'r 'Long Lefty' for 3 rounds (I played 8 rounds all together inc. 2 of them on the 'Executive' 9 hole course). The weather, course conditions were excellent as always, my play was a touch better than last year, with a few more highlights including 6 birdies and my first eagle of the year overall...

I played mostly from the whites this year, and felt I wasn't playing as long as I had been previously (Getting old sad to say) - 'Long Lefty' was very impressive, and easily played from the 'blues' and could've easily played from the tips if he had his driver (He hit a 280 yard fairway wood on the dog leg 9th hole amazingly, and very impressive once again).

The key thing to now keep in mind is the Montreal golf touring travel company, Gendron is now booking this resort/course and when you inject 40-90 golfers as they do you are going to have tee-time issues like I had never experienced.

If you're travelling to this resort keep an eye on Gendron bookings to avoid weeks they are there with their ridiculously slow and poor playing clientele:

We are specialized in organizing golf trips across the globe. Our dedicated team has an offering of over 50 destinations with carefully picked golf courses.

It was shocking to me that that people who are easily 25+ handicappers at best would spend the money to play this difficult course. Needless to say, those who had their ball retrievers and generally get more pleasure finding balls vs. playing well were in their glory .

That said, I managed my tee-times mostly well (Had to play the 'Executive' 9 twice one day to avoid 6 hours on the 18 hole course and it worked out very well, coming oh-so-close to my first hole-in-one on the 120 yard 9th hole, thankfully having a 7" tap in birdie when all was said and done).

Once again, good times as always!

- Ian
                          TM TP5 Golf Ball
                          Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                          SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
                            Back from another amazing week at the Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an - And the great Riviera Maya Golf Club...

Just love this course, and had the pleasure of playing with fellow TGN'r 'Long Lefty' for 3 rounds (I played 8 rounds all together inc. 2 of them on the 'Executive' 9 hole course). The weather, course conditions were excellent as always, my play was a touch better than last year, with a few more highlights including 6 birdies and my first eagle of the year overall...

I played mostly from the whites this year, and felt I wasn't playing as long as I had been previously (Getting old sad to say) - 'Long Lefty' was very impressive, and easily played from the 'blues' and could've easily played from the tips if he had his driver (He hit a 280 yard fairway wood on the dog leg 9th hole amazingly, and very impressive once again).

The key thing to now keep in mind is the Montreal golf touring travel company, Gendron is now booking this resort/course and when you inject 40-90 golfers as they do you are going to have tee-time issues like I had never experienced.

If you're travelling to this resort keep an eye on Gendron bookings to avoid weeks they are there with their ridiculously slow and poor playing clientele:

We are specialized in organizing golf trips across the globe. Our dedicated team has an offering of over 50 destinations with carefully picked golf courses.

It was shocking to me that that people who are easily 25+ handicappers at best would spend the money to play this difficult course. Needless to say, those who had their ball retrievers and generally get more pleasure finding balls vs. playing well were in their glory .

That said, I managed my tee-times mostly well (Had to play the 'Executive' 9 twice one day to avoid 6 hours on the 18 hole course and it worked out very well, coming oh-so-close to my first hole-in-one on the 120 yard 9th hole, thankfully having a 7" tap in birdie when all was said and done).

Once again, good times as always!

- Ian
                            Ian, it was a pleasure and thanks for the kind words! The vacation with my family was purely booked around your recommendation and it didn’t disappoint. Wonderful course and beautiful resort and we’ll hopefully be back in the future.

Stay in touch, we’ll have to get out for a couple rounds this year once the summer rolls around!

Comment

Will do Lefty!

On a final note for now guys, whatever you do, BRING ENOUGH BALLS - The course can be quite penal and you do not want to have to purchase balls in pro shop down there...

Premium sleeves of 3 were insanely around $25 US, so plan accordingly and count on losing at minimum 2 balls per round regardless of your skill level as most of us our likely not well practiced, at peak form, etc.

Likely more as both Lefty and I had our moments (me much more so during one round in particular, sad to say ).

- Ian
                              TM TP5 Golf Ball
                              Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                              SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Nice update Ian ! Great to hear you got in 8 rounds -> you must have a wonderful wife !

There was a Gendron group when I was down too, but I was always one of the first guys off, teeing off in near darkness, so able to get ahead of them. I'll take some darkness over the futility of a 5+ hour round. I knew Gendron did group Ski trips, but wasn't aware they are in to Golf as well. And Yes, bring lots of balls !

Looking back , #9 and #16 were my problematic holes over the 10 rounds I got in.
                                #9 got off the tee fine, but always had the ball noticeably above my feet for my approach shot
                                #16 got off the tee fine, but the 2nd shot was always the deal breaker, and even if that went OK, the 3rd shot to the green was always long-ish

Did any specific holes consistently prove a challenge for you ?
                                Last edited by ARL67; Jan 28, 2020, 06:26 PM.
                                🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X