Collapse

Playing Bethpage Black

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Bethpage Black

Hey guys! Has anyone here played Bethpage Black? I just registered and am thinking about renting an Airbnb and making the trip. Just wondering how easy/difficult it is to get tee-times for non-NY residents.

I suggest you get there no later then 4’am or good luck

Comment

You don't need an Airbnb, when you have to sleep in the parking lot to get a tee time. My son and his buddies did it last year and half the fun is BBQing in the parking lot and drinking a few pops before the security guard or someone starts handing out vouchers at 6am. Then you have to get in line for a tee time.

While you are there, play the Red too. Almost as good, known as The Baby Black.
      Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, Tour 65-S
      Ping G425 SFT 15* 3 Wood, Tour 75-S
      Ping G425 SFT 19* 5 Wood, Tour 75-S
      Ping G425 Max 23.5* 9 Wood, Tour 75-S
      Ping G425 Max 26* 5 Hybrid, Tour 85-S
      Ping S56 Irons, 6 to 9, PW, Aldila VS 85-S
      Ping Tour S, 52/12*, 58/10*,Aldila VS 85-S
      Ping Chip-R, Ping Z115-S (new)
      Ping 35" Tomcat 14 Putter (new)
      Ping "Latitude" Carry Bag
      Nikon Laser 500G Rangefinder

Comment

A beast of a track, but well worth it. Instead of Bnb - rent a van or a small camper and sleep in line in the lot overnight. The lines can get ridiculously long. and while there, try the Red Course also - try to get a second round in.
        No good deed goes unpunished.
        A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Originally posted by Geeve1008 View Post
          I suggest you get there no later then 4’am or good luck
          Yes, there is a certain order in the parking lot. When you arrive the night before, you park in that order and that is how you get your voucher, in that order.
          Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, Tour 65-S
          Ping G425 SFT 15* 3 Wood, Tour 75-S
          Ping G425 SFT 19* 5 Wood, Tour 75-S
          Ping G425 Max 23.5* 9 Wood, Tour 75-S
          Ping G425 Max 26* 5 Hybrid, Tour 85-S
          Ping S56 Irons, 6 to 9, PW, Aldila VS 85-S
          Ping Tour S, 52/12*, 58/10*,Aldila VS 85-S
          Ping Chip-R, Ping Z115-S (new)
          Ping 35" Tomcat 14 Putter (new)
          Ping "Latitude" Carry Bag
          Nikon Laser 500G Rangefinder

Comment

So do you need to park overnight? I've read that out state residents can book up to 2 days in advance and that most of the time finding a tee time is not an issue.

Comment

I'm too old to sleep in a car. Has anyone rented a camper and done the overnight thing? Where did you rent it? Tx
              What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
              TM Rescue 17*
              TM M2 4-AW
              TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
              Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Originally posted by Primetime99 View Post
                So do you need to park overnight? I've read that out state residents can book up to 2 days in advance and that most of the time finding a tee time is not an issue.
                I registered as a non resident and then called in my tee time. Asked for 8 am and got 8:10. Not bad. I got the tip from a TGNer so I am sure if you search past threads you will find out all the info about how to register. As I recall I had to fax a copy of my drivers license and got assigned a non resident number which you need when you call to book your tee time.

Comment

I thought I read recently that they were switching up the system to make it easier. I think it is/or has gone online and non residents can book 5 or 7 days advanceand residents every 30 days. Not sure if this has happened yet.

you can also post on Wrx. I did that a few years ago and a local made a time for me and my buddy and played with us. It was nice to get some pointers and I brought him some golfer gifts and bought some beer after the round.

Comment

It's a great place and a difficult course. Be aware the marshals can be assertive. I have seen them tell a group to pick up and move to the next tee and some feelings were hurt. The people I played with were regulars to Bethpage and they said its common on the Black to see this. I like playing quick and though I took lots of photos, we kept up the pace and didn't have an issue. The group in front were closely watched.

Comment

I don't know this place at all, but....lining up....overnight...sleeping in a parking lot? Seems quite out of the ordinary to say the least.

Door crasher specials? Do people get trampled or fights break out?

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                        I don't know this place at all, but....lining up....overnight...sleeping in a parking lot? Seems quite out of the ordinary to say the least.

Door crasher specials? Do people get trampled or fights break out?
                        You've never heard of Bethpage Black, host of two US Opens, part of Bethpage State Park? They actually have seven courses as I recall. Three are very good and the rest just ok. But for New Yorkers, it's very good golf at a reasonable price. For Long Islanders, it's the best deal in golf. The Black course was designed by Tillinghast, at least partially, some debate about the green complexes.

Comment

No issues walking on as a single....showed up mid-morning and was on the first tee by noon. Bring your sticks though, the rentals are horrid.

Comment

Have played it 4 times...great golf experience, tough golf course. I always look back to the tips and am amazed at how long this course is for the pro events (have never seen all the tees at tips even if you play the tips, usually 6 will be at very back).

Re the sleeping in the car thing...the first hour of tee times are always for the people sleeping in the cars...and based on my 4 times there the further back from 1st tee time the longer your round will be. Luv2golow and I are fast players and fastest we've ever been able to play it is 3:45. You have to walk Black and it is a workout.
                            BIG MOY GOLF...POWERED BY SNICKERS
                            Member Century Club...Osprey Valley May 20, 2010...108 holes
                            There is no next year...signed Leaf fan

Comment

Im glad when I go play there I have a connection and avoid all that -)
                              " the only shots you can be dead sure of are those you've had already."

WHATS IN THE BAG

Ping I20 9.5 stiff
                              Sonartec 2.5 3/5 woods
                              Mcgregor hybrids 3,4,5
                              Ping i20
                              MacGregor response
                              Snickers tour bag
                              Pro V1

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse