/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Any interest in a late fall trip south???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any interest in a late fall trip south???

As I am now beginning my golf season.....I am all in golf wise. One of the things I have missed the last three years is our annual modified Ryder Cup end of Season trip in late November. My regular group kind of disbanded: work, family, health, moving, age, injury, interest etc. It was always the highlight of the golf year. We had a good 12 year run going south every American thanksgiving weekend. We were a group of 12-16 and would alternate between Florida, Scottsdale and Vegas. The age range was 30-60. It was a fun wrap up to the end of year. Our typical weekend would be as follows:

Thursday - arrive and play a warm up round round, have dinner and captains choose teams. Everyone would submit handicaps and those without, would submit average scores and captains would try to match teams as evenly as possible for fun an rivalry.

36 holes would always be a race given time of year so we did do 27 a couple times. Lunch would be a pickup and run normally

Friday - we would play 36 or 27 holes, usually a four ball in the morning and modified alternate shot (everyone drives) in the afternoon. dinner after.

Saturday - we would play 36 or 27 holes, usually singles and best ball with nice dinner after.

Losers would pay for dinner Saturday night - no cap and it got expensive for losers so I would put a cap.

Sunday - 18 holes of grudge matches.

If anyone is interested in this kind of trip, I would be happy to organize. It is always a blast and a great way to end the season not too seriously (although when you are two down with with three holes to go in your singles match, the teams are tied and you are the last match of the day, you tend to pick up your game!)

Typically we would stay at a multi course resort in Florida (Reunion and Innisbrook for example) but, spread the play around in Scottsdale/Vegas. I know Vegas very well, Florida and Scottsdale pretty well.

Let me know your thoughts

Colin
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bobby Jones; Aug 14, 2018, 01:43 PM.

We (3 of us) might look to do something down Nashville/Florence SC way around Remembrance Day (as we did in 2016)
    Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Interesting idea. Lots of options and budgets to consider. I'm sure others that are looking at this will wait for more concrete plans and costs. I like the Scottsdale or Vegas option as I've never been

Comment

that sounds like fun south carolina is great
        " the only shots you can be dead sure of are those you've had already."

WHATS IN THE BAG

Ping I20 9.5 stiff
        Sonartec 2.5 3/5 woods
        Mcgregor hybrids 3,4,5
        Ping i20
        MacGregor response
        Snickers tour bag
        Pro V1

Comment

Myrtle Beach usually has decent to hot weather into mid November, Charleston/Kiawah would be better, Hilton Head/Savannah even better

Comment

Budgets are always tough as everyone is in a different bracket. We have done South Carolina and Georgia late November and the only issue is sometimes you do get caught in shoulder season. If I am going on a golf trip, I don't want snow , sleet and freezing fingers on wet grips! Florida temps are good but, once in a while the heavens open up. American southwest is 99% sunshine which is nice from a weather risk and for me worth any premium in cost . We did get a frost delay one November in Scottsdale but, by noon, temp was 70 degrees - deserts are crazy swings between day and night. I remember arriving for first tee times and staff were wearing down parkas!

There doesn't seem to be much interest but, i will put together a couple estimated budgets for a four dayer and see if there is interest.

Comment

Here is a summary of potential costs for four different trips. There are many variations and quality/costs of courses and hotels but, use this as a guide. I used Expedia to get flights and car rental pricing. I went to resorts or courses directly to get prices. A little surfing around may get better deals but, I don't think variations wil be great. Based on 18, 36, 36, 18 holes each day

1. Myrtle Beach Legends Nov 14-18

Currently no November direct flights in November
              Flights out of Toronto or Buffalo with one connection
              Drive time @ 14 hours
              Legends package - decent but not wow
              Four courses on site and two off site
              Package includes: accomodation, breakfast, lunch, golf , beer, carts
              Car rental needed and meals extra

@ cost in Cnd $1,000 pp including flights and rental car

Very good value. November is shoulder season, weather potentially iffy

2. Innisbrook Nov 29-Dec 2

Direct flights Toronto or Buffalo to TPA

Earlier November is not available
              Weekend in between is US thanksgiving and flight costs high
              Four courses on site
              Package includes: golf, carts, proshop credit, breakfast

@ cost including flights and car rental @ $1,800

includes Copperhead course. Second course good, two others ok

3. Las Vegas Nov 14-18

No resorts with multiple courses on site so driving required
              Flights and hotels reasonable
              Cheap flights now out of hamilton with Swoop but not every day
              I used Park MGM (Monte Carlo) as a guide for mid priced mid strip hotel
              Courses I chose: Top golf on arrival, Paiute, Wolf Creek and Boulder Creek
              Only food included is lunch at Paiute

all courses top drawer

@ cost including flights and car rental @ $1,600

4. Scottsdale Nov 14-18

Similar to Las Vegas, some two course resorts but, driving required. Many many courses to choose from so I did a selection of courses i area.

Direct Ffights out of yyz or buf
              Used Hyatt quad rooms as base
              Courses include Sunridge, Wekopa, Grayhawk and Gold Canyon

All top courses

@ cost including flights and car rental @ $2,400

As mentioned, you can muck around with the quality of courses to get better deals. If I am making a trip out of it, my preference is play something decent and save $ elsewhere. I have done all of these trips in the past and have a good idea of what they all have to offer. Scottsdale is far and above my favourite but, from what you can tell the most expensive. Vegas is Vegas. I go regularly and know it well. You can move your costs down by staying a lower priced hotel. Florida has many less expensive and more expensive options for which I have given one example at the higher end. Myrtle is ok but, fourth on my list. In November you might get away with places like Geogia, North Carolina, Virginia but, all iffy. Other destinations include Palm Springs and other California, Alabama, Texas and off course Caribbean/mexico type destinations.

If there is interest, I will tweak....

Comment

I too miss the mid Nov end of season trips since our group disbanded after 10 years.

I could get interested in joining a group if this comes to be.

Scottsdale would be my first choice as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                  We (3 of us) might look to do something down Nashville/Florence SC way around Remembrance Day (as we did in 2016)
                  How was your weather in 2016? Nashville is supposed to be a fun place.

Comment

Originally posted by bobby Jones View Post

How was your weather in 2016? Nashville is supposed to be a fun place.
                    Shorts & a pullover (we played 1 course near Nash, and 2 "RTJ Golf Trail" courses in northern 'bama)

No shortage of apres-golf in Nash-Vegas!!

Comment

Originally posted by bobby Jones View Post
                      Here is a summary of potential costs for four different trips. There are many variations and quality/costs of courses and hotels but, use this as a guide. I used Expedia to get flights and car rental pricing. I went to resorts or courses directly to get prices. A little surfing around may get better deals but, I don't think variations wil be great. Based on 18, 36, 36, 18 holes each day

As mentioned, you can muck around with the quality of courses to get better deals. If I am making a trip out of it, my preference is play something decent and save $ elsewhere. I have done all of these trips in the past and have a good idea of what they all have to offer. Scottsdale is far and above my favourite but, from what you can tell the most expensive. Vegas is Vegas. I go regularly and know it well. You can move your costs down by staying a lower priced hotel. Florida has many less expensive and more expensive options for which I have given one example at the higher end. Myrtle is ok but, fourth on my list. In November you might get away with places like Geogia, North Carolina, Virginia but, all iffy. Other destinations include Palm Springs and other California, Alabama, Texas and off course Caribbean/mexico type destinations.

If there is interest, I will tweak....
                      With that format and schedule, why not look at Alabama - the RTJ trail. You could base the even at Capital Hill in Montgomery and maybe visit another site. Capitol Hill has three courses and has hosted an LPGA event. There are lots of options for accommodation around there - hotels and rental houses.
                      In the bag:
                      R15 12° PXV 6.0
                      SLDR 15° ATX Blue S
                      Adams Pro 18° ATX, Idea Pro A12 20° NV S
                      Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
                      Vokey SM5 54, 58
                      Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

I might be interested as well but in the lower budget side and I don't mind driving/car pooling.
                        Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
                        Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

I'm planning a trip to Vegas on the US Thanksgiving weekend so would be in for anything you arrange golf-wise there. The Tiger/Phil match will be happening then too (if that is of interest to anyone). I can also provide transportation between the strip and the courses for up to 6 people. I'm likely staying at Park MGM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X