No announcement yet.
Collapse

Palm Springs Area Courses

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took a walk this morning in the Deepwell Estates area of Palm Springs at corner Sunrise and Mesquite. Had an invite to see Ken Venturi’s mid century modern home which has been fully restored. Interior was amazing and owner talked about the parties Ken had with his best buddy...Frank Sinatra. Oh to have been a fly on the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWalker View Post
      Took a walk this morning in the Deepwell Estates area of Palm Springs at corner Sunrise and Mesquite. Had an invite to see Ken Venturi’s mid century modern home which has been fully restored. Interior was amazing and owner talked about the parties Ken had with his best buddy...Frank Sinatra. Oh to have been a fly on the wall.
      Soooo cool. Where you staying? Or do you have a place down there? My brother and wife are visiting my folks in 7 Lakes at the moment, down until the 24th, if you need a golf partner.....

I love walking around old Palm Springs. We also frequently do the hike up behind Sinatra's place....was under big renovation last we went by.

Evening drinks at the Parker....such a cool back area. Rumour is a lot of L.A. folks go there for extra-marital trysts....easy to believe. If you haven't yet, go for a walk around the gardens, very secluded....at night, spooky almost......
      Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
      Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
      Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
      TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
      Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
      Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

Originally posted by duffer_mcmulligan View Post

Soooo cool. Where you staying? Or do you have a place down there? My brother and wife are visiting my folks in 7 Lakes at the moment, down until the 24th, if you need a golf partner.....

I love walking around old Palm Springs. We also frequently do the hike up behind Sinatra's place....was under big renovation last we went by.

Evening drinks at the Parker....such a cool back area. Rumour is a lot of L.A. folks go there for extra-marital trysts....easy to believe. If you haven't yet, go for a walk around the gardens, very secluded....at night, spooky almost......
        We stay at Sunrise Villas which is just across Sunrise, north of Deepwell Estates. I’m 5 minutes from Indian Canyons Golf Resort and a short walk to the Saguaro Hotel and Purple Room.
        Used to stay out in La Quinta at PGA West (14th fairway Stadium Course) but the residents are too vanilla and the golf course is noisy early in the morning when maintenance tends to the greens and bunkers.

PS has such a great vibe and there is always something interesting going on.
        People are super friendly and welcoming.
        Last edited by WhiteWalker; Apr 9, 2019, 11:42 PM.

Comment

We purchased a property in PGA west last month and I just got back from my first chance to golf down there. We were looking at Hilton Head originally but like some one mentioned earlier the weather is just to unpredictable (I know they were talking MB but HHI is in the same boat).
          The weather was perfect, in the 90's every day but never felt too hot at all. We played The Golf Club of La Quinta (Trilogy), Silver Rock, JW Marriot and Shadow Ridge all from Underpar as we usually do 36 holes a day anyways. The other two days we played Desert Willow and two courses at PGA west, the Nicklaus Tournament and the Norman (didn't like it).
          Always check Underpar down there, especially if you play 36...there are some great deals. The Club at LQ was $99 and included lunch and a beer for two people.

Comment

Awesome deal for the Club at La Quinta. No deals like that in March. How did you like Desert Willow, my fav in the desert?

Comment

Originally posted by sikoram View Post
              Awesome deal for the Club at La Quinta. No deals like that in March. How did you like Desert Willow, my fav in the desert?
              Always enjoyed playing Trilogy when we stayed in La Quinta. Now that I’m in Palm Springs it’s just too far to drive...so many choices in the area. Both Desert Willow courses are excellent but green fees are on the high side.

Comment

Just a quick note of thanks again to those in the thread with recs. Got back from PL this week and overall it was too short...

Unfortunately, I only got one round in, and since we were staying at LQ, it was the Mountain Course. However, it came as advertised by many here and despite playing pretty poorly, I didn't seem to care!!

Went out on a Monday AM solo and it was pretty quiet. By the 11th hole I had passed the first group of the day (four groups graciously let me play through) and had the remaining holes with no one in front or behind me. Pretty awesome, especially the 16th hole (IIRC) with elevation and a great view where I just chilled out there for a while before promptly missing the green by about 3 feet, which means I'm right in the rocks lol.

I saw above someone was talking about a deal at LQ - I was positive the Saturday when using the practice facilities at Mountain Dunes two guys came out from their morning round saying they did something like $69 for the first round and got an afternoon tee-off for $30-40... actually, that might be the $99 deal lol anyways if I wasn't at a wedding and with infant in tow, I would have loved to get more rounds in. There were lots of last minute deals at good prices.

Comment

Originally posted by parkie View Post
                  Just a quick note of thanks again to those in the thread with recs. Got back from PL this week and overall it was too short...

Unfortunately, I only got one round in, and since we were staying at LQ, it was the Mountain Course. However, it came as advertised by many here and despite playing pretty poorly, I didn't seem to care!!

Went out on a Monday AM solo and it was pretty quiet. By the 11th hole I had passed the first group of the day (four groups graciously let me play through) and had the remaining holes with no one in front or behind me. Pretty awesome, especially the 16th hole (IIRC) with elevation and a great view where I just chilled out there for a while before promptly missing the green by about 3 feet, which means I'm right in the rocks lol.

I saw above someone was talking about a deal at LQ - I was positive the Saturday when using the practice facilities at Mountain Dunes two guys came out from their morning round saying they did something like $69 for the first round and got an afternoon tee-off for $30-40... actually, that might be the $99 deal lol anyways if I wasn't at a wedding and with infant in tow, I would have loved to get more rounds in. There were lots of last minute deals at good prices.
                  Glad to hear you at least got one round in and that it was the Mountain course to boot. Certainly a beautiful course and you're right, the 16th is breathtaking...quite literally if you take the walk up to the pro tees! That was the only hole I pared that day.

Comment

SilverRock is close to where you are staying and IMO a must play.
                    Heard some of the recent changes to the back 9 were detrimental to the layout.....still a must play?

Comment

Still worth playing if you can get a decent rate.

Comment

SilverRock is still a decent play, but not like it used to be. Some of the holes that follow the mountains are absolutely stunning. There are plenty of other courses that are worth playing.
                        I'm a member of Embarc (formerly Club Intrawest) and have stayed 12 days the 2nd week of July every year for the last 20 years now...yes summer! It's hot at heck, but you wont be spending more than $55 on any course in the area, compared to $130- $180 in the winter. It's a shame you couldn't play the Desert Willow Courses, Firecliff and Mountainview are unreal (Firecliff being the more challenging one). Played them 100+ times and hole 17 on Firecliff still kicks my a$$ every time.
                        If your in the area again I'd suggest:
                        -Desert Willow (both, but Firecliff if you only have time for one)
                        -Indian Wells (Celebrity course for views, Players course for more challenge)
                        -Indian Canyons (typical public course, but stunning location)
                        -Classic Club
                        -Tera Largo
                        -La Quinta Mountain Course
                        -Eagle Falls
                        There are a ton of courses, but keep in mind the majority of them are private.
                        Somewhat new to the forum and didn't realize many people from Ontario make the hike to Palm Springs area...usually all west coasters

My Mixed Bag:
                        Driver:
                        Ping G410 Plus
                        Woods: Cobra Speedzone 3 Wood
                        Hybrid: Ping G425 3 Hybrid
                        Irons: Mizuno Pro 245 KBS Tour 120S
                        Wedges: Ping Glide4 50.12, Ping Glide4 54.12, Mackdaddy 58.10
                        Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy
                        Bag: Sun Mountain C130
                        Cart: Sun Mountain Pathfinder PX3
                        Ball: TM TP5

Comment

Indian Canyons South is excellent and sheltered from the wind.
                          I've always liked Shadow Hills on the north side of the 10 off Jefferson.
                          Escena is another good choice as is Mission Hills Player.

Comment

Indian Canyons South is excellent and sheltered from the wind.
                            I've always liked Shadow Hills on the north side of the 10 off Jefferson.
                            Escena is another good choice as is Mission Hills Player.
                            Yes, the south course is great. Marriott Shadow Ridge also used to be a great course. I'm not sure what happened to it, but it's gone downhill in I'd say the last 6 years or so. I believe it's the 8th hole that is up hill with the giant bunkers? That was always a challenge. Never played Escena...I will give it a shot this summer.
                            Always wanted to see what kind of shape the courses are in the winter months, but I can't seem to cough up the amount of points to stay at Intrawest, nor the $$ for golf. It's 1/3rd the price in summer, but there's probably a reason for that lol
                            My Mixed Bag:
                            Driver:
                            Ping G410 Plus
                            Woods: Cobra Speedzone 3 Wood
                            Hybrid: Ping G425 3 Hybrid
                            Irons: Mizuno Pro 245 KBS Tour 120S
                            Wedges: Ping Glide4 50.12, Ping Glide4 54.12, Mackdaddy 58.10
                            Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy
                            Bag: Sun Mountain C130
                            Cart: Sun Mountain Pathfinder PX3
                            Ball: TM TP5

Comment

A few worth playing at PGA West as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ninja View Post
                                A few worth playing at PGA West as well.
                                Stadium, Palmer Private, and Nicklaus Tournament are great. Not a fan of the Norman course.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X