Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

most affordable countries to golf around the world

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• most affordable countries to golf around the world

looking for most affordable countries to golf around the world for a membership or green fees in Asia, Europe, or latin America any experience or knowledge would help a lot i'm moving aboard and want to see what country is best for value but still a nice course to play and practise thanks for any help

Unfortunately the affordable developing countries that have golf charge a premium. It's in the investors head that golfers are rich, if you build it they will come and pay any amount. I've played in Mexico, Thailand, Vietnam, Turkey, Cuba, South Africa aside from US and Canada and I have to say cheapest golf is in the USA and also rural Canada away from major cities golf can be pretty cheap.
    Last edited by gimmeabogey; Apr 14, 2019, 08:44 PM.
    Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
    Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Agreed. Some of the best value golf I've found is in the southern US (I haven't played a lot in the northern US). Even if rack rates are high, you rarely have to pay it. The RTJ trail in Alabama is a prime example of amazing golf for very cheap.

The UK has some relatively affordable golf as well, as long as you stay away from the big names and big cities. A lot of the real value courses would be described as "quirky" with some short holes, or holes that don't really fit with the rest of the course since they tend to work more with the land they have than move tonnes and tonnes of earth to make the hole what they want. Doesn't mean they aren't great courses to play.
      What's in the TMX Stand Bag?

10.5 SLDR w Diamana Flowerband X-flex
      SLDR 15* 3W
      TM Rescue 17*
      SLDR 5H
      TM M2 4-PW
      CG15 52/60
      Rossa Monza Corza

Comment

thanks i see what your saying unfortunately i'm leaving Canada and wont be in the USA hope to find something over seas any course that could be suggested would be great thanks

Comment

will be going to vietnam, malaysia, singapore, brazil, costa rica, spain, venezuela, Columbia and indonesia in futuer years maybe can mention great cities and course to be a member at thanks

Comment

In Vietnam and Thailand I paid around $120 cad including club rental and caddy fee. Da Nang in Vietnam has at least 2 great courses that I know of. A Norman course and Montgamery. Nearby HoiAn is one of the prettiest towns you've ever seen. French and Chinese infuences, known as city of lanterns, everything is super cheap, except golf of course. Beautiful beaches, great food.
            I golfed in Phuket as well, there are a few courses there about the same cost. It can get pretty hot in Phuket though.

Comment

Originally posted by gimmeabogey View Post
              In Vietnam and Thailand I paid around $120 cad including club rental and caddy fee. Da Nang in Vietnam has at least 2 great courses that I know of. A Norman course and Montgamery. Nearby HoiAn is one of the prettiest towns you've ever seen. French and Chinese infuences, known as city of lanterns, everything is super cheap, except golf of course. Beautiful beaches, great food.
              I golfed in Phuket as well, there are a few courses there about the same cost. It can get pretty hot in Phuket though.
              Vietnam recently changed its laws for foreign ownership of property making it easier to buy a vacation/retirement property. My friends who live in Shanghai (from Austalia) bought a villa with views of the sea for about $60k USD. Three courses in the area and they are nice. It's between Ho Chi and Da Nang. The annual membership for the courses for locals is less than $1500. Some villas can be purchased with golf membership included. A nice community and management fees are very reasonable. They allow owners to rent as well.

Comment

im only 18 years old going for school but will be having a 14 months visa so can stay for awhile

Comment

In Indonesia, Jakarta, golf prices is around 70-120$ on weekdays and 150$ to $200 on weekend. Plus 20-50$ Caddy fee. I don't think budget courses (under $50) exist there

Comment

Originally posted by pudubny View Post

Vietnam recently changed its laws for foreign ownership of property making it easier to buy a vacation/retirement property. My friends who live in Shanghai (from Austalia) bought a villa with views of the sea for about $60k USD. Three courses in the area and they are nice. It's between Ho Chi and Da Nang. The annual membership for the courses for locals is less than $1500. Some villas can be purchased with golf membership included. A nice community and management fees are very reasonable. They allow owners to rent as well.
                    Do you have link for villas or golf courses? I was told the villas around Da Nang were upwards of $400-500k. On the golf course mind you.

Comment

I'll ask, don't recall the name of the place myself. They bought before the rule change so they had to go through a holding company. They spent the last few months trying to get the deed for themselves after the rule change. Was not too difficult, just paperwork and fees. There place is not on a golf course, about 5km from the closet course. 3 bed with a small pool in yard. About 1800sq ft. Two floors.
                      Last edited by pudubny; Apr 15, 2019, 05:29 PM.

Comment

What turned out to be really cheap, but is still absolutely outstanding, world-class scenery being secondary to the condition of the course, is the Moab Municipal Golf Course in Moab, Utah (home of Arches National Park). I am UK citizen, just waiting for my ESTA Validation to repeat that awesome experience.

Comment

tthat would be good but thinking outside canada and usa forsure

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
                            Agreed. Some of the best value golf I've found is in the southern US (I haven't played a lot in the northern US). Even if rack rates are high, you rarely have to pay it. The RTJ trail in Alabama is a prime example of amazing golf for very cheap.

The UK has some relatively affordable golf as well, as long as you stay away from the big names and big cities. A lot of the real value courses would be described as "quirky" with some short holes, or holes that don't really fit with the rest of the course since they tend to work more with the land they have than move tonnes and tonnes of earth to make the hole what they want. Doesn't mean they aren't great courses to play.
                            I would agree with this. After my Dad and his buds did the big name course tours of UK, Scotland and Ireland, they did another tour where they hit a bunch of little known courses all designed by Tom Morris. Rarely paid over 20 GBP for a round. It was a memorable 10 day trip he said.
                            Cobra driver, stiff shaft
                            TM R9 TP15* and 19* Fujikura F1 65 TP stiff
                            TM R9 4-PW KBS 90 stiff
                            TM XFT 52.08* and 58.12*
                            TM Rossa Daytona 34"

Comment

Even though Golf rack rates are very high in Jamaica memberships fees are quite reasonable. for example a round at Cinnamon hill or white which might have a daily rack rate of $150US but you can join both course for $1500 US per year.

you can join Run away Bay for about $500 per year

I think the Sandals course in Ocho Rios is about $1000 per year

The two Golf clubs in Kingston run about $1200US per year

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 167,483   Posts: 1,754,395   Members: 46,107   Active Members: 276
                              Welcome to our newest member, Gmoneymenz.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X