Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golf Road Trip from Calgary to Vancouver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf Road Trip from Calgary to Vancouver

I know there are lots of TGN'ers that live out of AB and BC. A couple of buddies and myself are thinking about doing a golf road trip from Calgary to Vancouver. We have about a week at the end of Sep to early Oct that we can do this. Have done a search here and also just google in general but couldn't really find any info from anyone who has done this. Plan is to drive a couple of hours each day, play a quick round and may be take in an hour of sightseeing each day. Has anyone here done a trip like this? Any suggestions on courses to play along the way, or scenic stops we should make, places to stay at? I have a general idea on the route but am open to suggestions. What would the weather be like for golf that time of the year? Thanks in advance with your advice

My suggestions for quality of golf and value.
    Both Kananaskis courses
    Golden
    Salmon Arm
    Talking Rock
    Tobiano
    Sandpiper

Going to Whistler if it's in your agenda?
    Squamish
    Chateau Whistler
    Big Sky

If you want suggestions in Vanc...let me know.

Look at ordering a Redbook.
    Call Erica.....she can answer questions on any coupon use restrictions.
    Using even just one coupon will pay for the book.

Look at this website.
    http://golfersredbook.ca/home/britis...ia/contact-us/

Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbertha View Post
      A couple of buddies and myself are thinking about doing a golf road trip from Calgary to Vancouver. We have about a week at the end of Sep to early Oct that we can do this.
      The most important thing to consider at that time of year is the weather.

In 2014, I planned a five-day vacation in the Calgary area for the second week of September, including a round at Silvertip in Canmore. On the Monday morning we landed in a blizzard that shut down everything for three days, and we simply could not get not get out of the city. On the fourth day, we made a day trip to Lake Louise, and then returned home the next day. Golf would have been absolutely impossible.

If you're planning to be out there almost a month later than that, be prepared.
      Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Having lived in Calgary, one must be prepared for the weather to change at almost any time. That is even more of an issue in the mountains.

That being said, we went up to Jasper at the end of September in 2011 and it was 24-26 degrees and sunny every day....perfect golf weather.

bladerunner

Originally posted by Benz View Post

In 2014, I planned a five-day vacation in the Calgary area for the second week of September, including a round at Silvertip in Canmore. On the Monday morning we landed in a blizzard that shut down everything for three days, and we simply could not get not get out of the city. On the fourth day, we made a day trip to Lake Louise, and then returned home the next day. Golf would have been absolutely impossible.

If you're planning to be out there almost a month later than that, be prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by Bladerunner View Post
          Having lived in Calgary, one must be prepared for the weather to change at almost any time. That is even more of an issue in the mountains.

That being said, we went up to Jasper at the end of September in 2011 and it was 24-26 degrees and sunny every day....perfect golf weather.

bladerunner

I'm heading out west in a couple of weeks.

I have planned two rounds at Jasper, one round at Banff Springs and one round at Silvertip.
          Can't wait.
          Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

In 2014, I planned a five-day vacation in the Calgary area for the second week of September, including a round at Silvertip in Canmore. On the Monday morning we landed in a blizzard that shut down everything for three days, and we simply could not get not get out of the city.
            In the 1st week in July 2008....it started to hail when we teed off at Banff Springs.

Also remember it snowing the 1st week of Sept 1992 when flying out of Calgary in the morning....4 days prior it was 22*C at JPL.

Comment

I grew up in Squamish and learned how to play at the Squamish Golf Club.
              don’t forget Fury Creek between Squamish and North Vancouver (Bob Barker & Adam Sandler had a fist fight on that course in a Adam Sandler movie)
              That time of year on the west coast you can get warm sunny days or constantly raining non stop for days sometimes upto two weeks at a time day and night.
              Driver: Wilson D200 (set at 9*),UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Stiff.
              3W: Wilson D200,UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Reg.
              7W: Taylor Made (that's it bought in 1986)
              Irons: Ping I-irons Yellow Dot, 4-9 + W45*+ UW50*, CFS 70gram Graphite Reg.
              Mack Daddy 60/10 Wedge
              Putter: Ping Anser Beryllium Copper Putter (bought it in 1982)

Comment

I made a similar thread when I had an idea to drive from Toronto across Canada and play golf along the way, just as you described. Never came to fruition (yet!), but will follow along and see how your trip comes along.

Comment

Mickleson national might be doing public showings that time of year. Thats in calgary and meant to be a beast of a course. Pretty much every course you go to will be great and have excellent scenery. Also that time of year you should book later tee times id say after 10am because there can be serious frost delays in the mountains.

Comment

Skip the iffy weather and head for the Okanogan. It will be stinking hot. Lots of good courses in Vernon and Kelowna and environs. Kamloops and environs as well. Be aware that the BC Senior games are going on in Kelowna the second week of September so accommodation will be limited. Its also a great drive through the Rogers Pass into the OK valley and then on into Vancouver. Fruit stands and wineries on the way.

Comment

As a Calgarian for 26 of the last 28 years, pleases allow me to chime in.

Note it it has snowed in Calgary every month of the year if you take a 25-30 year history. We had a doozy of a blizzard in mid-September four years ago and another in late September last year. It is not a regular occurrence though.

A personal story about Kananaskis, is I may, will illustrate. It was the second Friday of July about 18 years ago (Stampede Parade Day, for those who want a reference). We were driving out to Kananaskis to play Mt Kidd, about 7AM as we headed out The Trans Canada. My brother, from North Vancouver, asked “ what’s the weather forecast”. I looked at the sky and it was perfect bluebird, not a cloud in the sky. “ Variable” I replied....he wanted a definition of “variable”.... rainy?, drizzly? Cloudy? ...”Variable” I repeated....We teed off number 1 of Mt Kidd at 8:45 Am under bluebird conditions. Wind came up over next few holes and then clunks moved in. By th pear three 5th, it was raining.....then the wind really came up....and it started to pelt down....then small hail/snow.On tee box of 9, the ninth fairway was total white. We all teed off and fortunately all hit fairway....where was hard to tell, but by the time we got halfway down the fairway, sun was back out and warming up rapidly. We all found our balls and by the time we all made the green, everything had melted. As we walked from the 9 green to 10 tee box my brother looked at me and said “you were right, variable...”

Usually, September is actually perfect here for golf. The mountain courses can have frost delays that time of year, we had one of 45 minutes at my home course this AM. I’d lean to earlier tee times as if there is a delay, you are off earlier and finished earlier for travel.

I am a member at Canyon MEadows and would happy to host a threesome if my work schedule allows. The Shaw equipment cleanup should be over by then and the course should be in peak condition. Barring that, my suggestions:

One consideration, there is a ton of great golf out here. Some are real hidden gems. In Ponoka, on the hwy 2, about 2 hours north of town is Wolf Creek, the original 18 is links style golf at it’s best. But that may be out of the way.

The Kananaskis courses (Mt Kidd and Mt Lorette) are true gems restored to their former glory pre-2013 floods. They are also a bargain relative to other courses in the region. I would try and book a round at each in one day for 36 holes. You could then head to Banff, bunk in and look to play 18 at Banff Springs. An early tee time would give you drive time at the end of day. I am gonna pitch a small detour to GreyWolf In Panorama Resort. Halfway from Banff to Lake Louise, you hang a left on Hwy 93, to Radium, then Invermere and from there, 20 minutes up Toby Creek Road to the resort of Panorama. Drive time about 2hrs 15 minutes through Kootenay National Park. I think that as far as the mountain courses go, Greywolf is the best absolute layout (Banff Springs is beautiful, but frequently, driver may want to remain in the bag. But it is on the list for the scenery and Stanley Thompson design). Carrick has done a magnificent job on Greywolf. The scenery is spectacular as well, THe food in the clubhouse is awesome and accommodations are modern condos with kitchens.

The other alternative from Banff is to Golden Golf and Country Club in Golden, BC. It is a couple hours from Banff through Yoho National Park, past Lake Louise. The front nine was laid out by the original farmer that owned the land and the back is an early Les Ferber...one of the few Ferber efforts I like. Golden is more on the direct route for you, and is a real country gem, or you could play it the day after you do Greywolf (about an hour and a half from Panorama to Golden), play 18 with a mid-morning tee time and after, drive to Revelstoke or Salmon Arm (Revy about an hour and change, Salmon Arm closer to three hours). From there, to Vernon for a round or two at Predator Ridge. While I prefer the Ridge Course (another Carrick design), Furber’s Predator layout is good. Not my fave, but OK.

From there, you could trundle to Kamloops to play Tobiano or south to Kelowna for one of those courses. I loved The Harvest, in Kelowna, but there are tons of great courses there. I have only payed there once and so my knowledge is somewhat limited.

You could probably end your trip in Kelowna on a trip like that. Flying out of Kelowna via WestJet is easy, there may be direct flights to Toronto still that time of year.

Honestly, you could do worse than a rota focussed on Calgary and Mountains or just Kelowna. Flying west on a Friday, play Calgary/Banff area Sat/Sun/Mon...Greywolf Tues, Golden Wednesday, drive to Predator Wednesday night, and play 18 or 36 Thursday, Kamloops for Tobiano Friday...From Kamloops could continue west and down Highway 99 and Duffy Lake Road to Pemberton to play Big Sky on Saturday, early tee time at Nicklaus North or the Whistler Town course early Sunday (Whistler is a Palmer design), high tail it to Vancouver for a late afternoon/evening flight home.

You would sleep like a baby for a week.
                      Cobra driver, stiff shaft
                      TM R9 TP15* and 19* Fujikura F1 65 TP stiff
                      TM R9 4-PW KBS 90 stiff
                      TM XFT 52.08* and 58.12*
                      TM Rossa Daytona 34"

Comment

Great post! Brought back some great memories.

Kananaskis before the floods....

Emerald Lake Lodge in Golden

Panorama for a ski trip.

Think I need to head back out west at some point

bladerunner

Originally posted by duffer_mcmulligan View Post
                        As a Calgarian for 26 of the last 28 years, pleases allow me to chime in.

Note it it has snowed in Calgary every month of the year if you take a 25-30 year history. We had a doozy of a blizzard in mid-September four years ago and another in late September last year. It is not a regular occurrence though.

A personal story about Kananaskis, is I may, will illustrate. It was the second Friday of July about 18 years ago (Stampede Parade Day, for those who want a reference). We were driving out to Kananaskis to play Mt Kidd, about 7AM as we headed out The Trans Canada. My brother, from North Vancouver, asked “ what’s the weather forecast”. I looked at the sky and it was perfect bluebird, not a cloud in the sky. “ Variable” I replied....he wanted a definition of “variable”.... rainy?, drizzly? Cloudy? ...”Variable” I repeated....We teed off number 1 of Mt Kidd at 8:45 Am under bluebird conditions. Wind came up over next few holes and then clunks moved in. By th pear three 5th, it was raining.....then the wind really came up....and it started to pelt down....then small hail/snow.On tee box of 9, the ninth fairway was total white. We all teed off and fortunately all hit fairway....where was hard to tell, but by the time we got halfway down the fairway, sun was back out and warming up rapidly. We all found our balls and by the time we all made the green, everything had melted. As we walked from the 9 green to 10 tee box my brother looked at me and said “you were right, variable...”

Usually, September is actually perfect here for golf. The mountain courses can have frost delays that time of year, we had one of 45 minutes at my home course this AM. I’d lean to earlier tee times as if there is a delay, you are off earlier and finished earlier for travel.

I am a member at Canyon MEadows and would happy to host a threesome if my work schedule allows. The Shaw equipment cleanup should be over by then and the course should be in peak condition. Barring that, my suggestions:

One consideration, there is a ton of great golf out here. Some are real hidden gems. In Ponoka, on the hwy 2, about 2 hours north of town is Wolf Creek, the original 18 is links style golf at it’s best. But that may be out of the way.

The Kananaskis courses (Mt Kidd and Mt Lorette) are true gems restored to their former glory pre-2013 floods. They are also a bargain relative to other courses in the region. I would try and book a round at each in one day for 36 holes. You could then head to Banff, bunk in and look to play 18 at Banff Springs. An early tee time would give you drive time at the end of day. I am gonna pitch a small detour to GreyWolf In Panorama Resort. Halfway from Banff to Lake Louise, you hang a left on Hwy 93, to Radium, then Invermere and from there, 20 minutes up Toby Creek Road to the resort of Panorama. Drive time about 2hrs 15 minutes through Kootenay National Park. I think that as far as the mountain courses go, Greywolf is the best absolute layout (Banff Springs is beautiful, but frequently, driver may want to remain in the bag. But it is on the list for the scenery and Stanley Thompson design). Carrick has done a magnificent job on Greywolf. The scenery is spectacular as well, THe food in the clubhouse is awesome and accommodations are modern condos with kitchens.

The other alternative from Banff is to Golden Golf and Country Club in Golden, BC. It is a couple hours from Banff through Yoho National Park, past Lake Louise. The front nine was laid out by the original farmer that owned the land and the back is an early Les Ferber...one of the few Ferber efforts I like. Golden is more on the direct route for you, and is a real country gem, or you could play it the day after you do Greywolf (about an hour and a half from Panorama to Golden), play 18 with a mid-morning tee time and after, drive to Revelstoke or Salmon Arm (Revy about an hour and change, Salmon Arm closer to three hours). From there, to Vernon for a round or two at Predator Ridge. While I prefer the Ridge Course (another Carrick design), Furber’s Predator layout is good. Not my fave, but OK.

From there, you could trundle to Kamloops to play Tobiano or south to Kelowna for one of those courses. I loved The Harvest, in Kelowna, but there are tons of great courses there. I have only payed there once and so my knowledge is somewhat limited.

You could probably end your trip in Kelowna on a trip like that. Flying out of Kelowna via WestJet is easy, there may be direct flights to Toronto still that time of year.

Honestly, you could do worse than a rota focussed on Calgary and Mountains or just Kelowna. Flying west on a Friday, play Calgary/Banff area Sat/Sun/Mon...Greywolf Tues, Golden Wednesday, drive to Predator Wednesday night, and play 18 or 36 Thursday, Kamloops for Tobiano Friday...From Kamloops could continue west and down Highway 99 and Duffy Lake Road to Pemberton to play Big Sky on Saturday, early tee time at Nicklaus North or the Whistler Town course early Sunday (Whistler is a Palmer design), high tail it to Vancouver for a late afternoon/evening flight home.

You would sleep like a baby for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by duffer_mcmulligan View Post
                          :

In Ponoka, on the hwy 2, about 2 hours north of town is Wolf Creek, the original 18 is links style golf at it’s best.
                          This ⬆
                          I live about one hour from Wolf Creek, one of the best courses around.
                          In western Canada we have some of the best courses in North America, and price to pay is really cheap, especially if not on the weekends with discount coupon books (can we say $25 rounds cart included).
                          Last edited by miles; May 26, 2019, 08:38 PM.
                          Driver: Wilson D200 (set at 9*),UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Stiff.
                          3W: Wilson D200,UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Reg.
                          7W: Taylor Made (that's it bought in 1986)
                          Irons: Ping I-irons Yellow Dot, 4-9 + W45*+ UW50*, CFS 70gram Graphite Reg.
                          Mack Daddy 60/10 Wedge
                          Putter: Ping Anser Beryllium Copper Putter (bought it in 1982)

Comment

Wow, so appreciative for all of you to chip in and give me some great tips. Gonna see what I can draw up and for sure share what we ended up deciding on at the end (if we end up making it). Thank you all again for the taking the time to reply.

Comment

Buddy of mine and his son just did this trip. They played Greywolf in Panorama, then Kelowna and played Tower Ranch (not my fave, but they loved it), Predator in Vernon, Tobiano in Kamloops/Thompson River, then to Big Sky in Pemberton. Could add any of the Whistler courses as well.
                              Cobra driver, stiff shaft
                              TM R9 TP15* and 19* Fujikura F1 65 TP stiff
                              TM R9 4-PW KBS 90 stiff
                              TM XFT 52.08* and 58.12*
                              TM Rossa Daytona 34"

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 169,258   Posts: 1,770,168   Members: 46,316   Active Members: 265
                              Welcome to our newest member, Anik87.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X