/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

OAHU, HAWAII - Course recommendations/course reviews

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OAHU, HAWAII - Course recommendations/course reviews

Hey,

Heading to Oahu in 6 weeks and have some courses in mind to play, but just wanted to get some input from your personal experiences on courses in Oahu.

Where did you play?
    Cost? Deals?
    Worth it at that price?
    Conditions?

Hey there
    Here's a good thread from last year when i went
    https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/forum/golf-discussion-forum/golf-travel/2938121-honolulu-waikiki-o-ahu-hawaii-golf-suggestions

This was my post after getting back

Just got back from Honolulu, I played 3 times while down there:

Royal Kunia
    Royal Hawaiian
    Waikele Country club

All were fun, but I think I'd recommend Royal Kunia. Very playable layout with decent greens.

Definitely pre pay for your round, you will save a ton, i found the best prices here http://www.hawaiiteetimesportal.com/, but teeoff.com was decent too.

One final piece of advice, the traffic in and out of Waikiki is awful. I'd recommend planning your tee time so that atleast one of your rides isnt during rush hour.

Also Lyft is about half the price of a taxi in Honolulu.

Comment

Stayed 10 nights at the Turtle Bay Resort several years ago. Managed to buy a 10 round golf package to play the Palmer and George Fazio design courses. It was VERY reasonable as my wife and I paid only $500CAD for ten rounds of golf which included carts. That was crazy cheap. On days when we didn't play, we were able to use the coupons for a spa value of $75. I think those days are gone.

We also played Ko'olau Golf Club and it was a heck of a tough golf course but spectacular views. https://www.koolaugolfclub.com/
      The green fees were about USD$150 then but because I look somewhat Hawaiian, they asked if I was local and I said yup. It cost USD$80 for for my wife and I riding. The slope rating of the course is 153 from the Black tees and around 140 off the Blues. They say whatever handicap you are, be prepared to lose that many golf balls. All I can say is I'm glad I played because the views were awesome.
      While you're there you have to go to Tita's Grill in Kahuku. It was run by former CFL Hall of Famer Junior Ah You. He was great, serving tables and chatting with customers.When he found out we were from Canada, he started singing 'Oh Canada' and gave us some extra food.

Have fun.
      Driver -Titleist 913 Diamana D+ 72 x5ct S shaft
      Metal woods - 13* Titleist 980F Strong 3
      Hybrid - 19 * and 21*Titleist 585H
      Irons - Titleist AP2 712 5-PW
      SW - 56* Titleist Vokey Spin Mill
      GW - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Mill
      Cleveland 588 60* Lob wedge
      Putter _ Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
      Bag- Titleist
      Ball - Pro-V1x or Bridgestone B330 RX

NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM

Comment

Originally posted by neilbaylor View Post
        Hey there
        Here's a good thread from last year when i went
        https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/forum/golf-discussion-forum/golf-travel/2938121-honolulu-waikiki-o-ahu-hawaii-golf-suggestions

This was my post after getting back
        Thanks for the feedback, went through that post and got some good info. Question about "http://www.hawaiiteetimesportal.com", I was also browsing around that site with interest in their multi-day packages. Did you have any issues with booking or issues with courses once you got there?

Comment

Originally posted by Mersey View Post
          Stayed 10 nights at the Turtle Bay Resort several years ago. Managed to buy a 10 round golf package to play the Palmer and George Fazio design courses. It was VERY reasonable as my wife and I paid only $500CAD for ten rounds of golf which included carts. That was crazy cheap. On days when we didn't play, we were able to use the coupons for a spa value of $75. I think those days are gone.

We also played Ko'olau Golf Club and it was a heck of a tough golf course but spectacular views. https://www.koolaugolfclub.com/
          The green fees were about USD$150 then but because I look somewhat Hawaiian, they asked if I was local and I said yup. It cost USD$80 for for my wife and I riding. The slope rating of the course is 153 from the Black tees and around 140 off the Blues. They say whatever handicap you are, be prepared to lose that many golf balls. All I can say is I'm glad I played because the views were awesome.
          While you're there you have to go to Tita's Grill in Kahuku. It was run by former CFL Hall of Famer Junior Ah You. He was great, serving tables and chatting with customers.When he found out we were from Canada, he started singing 'Oh Canada' and gave us some extra food.

Have fun.
          Hey thanks for info! That Turtle Bay deal sounds AMAZING!! I will have to check to see if it is available to visitors as were not gonna be staying that but if that is available, I'm all over that!

And I'm glad you brought up Ko'olau, that is one of the courses my fiancee really wants to play at but because of the difficulty, I'm thinking if Royal Hawaiian would be a better choice? I know you haven't mentioned that you've played it but it was probably on your mind as well when choosing to play Ko'olau or maybe recommend by another golfer while there. What made you decide to play Ko'olau?

You also mentioned you somewhat look Hawaiian, you mind me asking what your ethnicity is? Cause I'm filipino, but short at 5'5" and can get a good amount of dark in the summer. I was hoping I would be able to do the same and just pass as a local to get the better rates. Did they ask for any ID or did you just say "yeah" and they were like, ok. I may be asking for too much info but could you walk me through the conversation you had there? Extremely curious.

Thanks for the food recommendation as well, we're always looking for ideas of great places to eat and prefer more local, hole in the wall type spots to hit up. Looking at the photos of "Tita's Grill", that's a spot we're definitely hit up!

Comment

Originally posted by Pure View Post

What made you decide to play Ko'olau?

You also mentioned you somewhat look Hawaiian, you mind me asking what your ethnicity is?

Thanks for the food recommendation as well, we're always looking for ideas of great places to eat and prefer more local, hole in the wall type spots to hit up. Looking at the photos of "Tita's Grill", that's a spot we're definitely hit up!
            Ko'olau was recommended by a friend and I'm glad we went.

I'm Chinese but have a tan complexion. People often mistake me for either Filipino, Korean and yes Hawaiian, Lol!!

As for Tita's Grill, it was a far cry from the service we got from another Shrimp place, Romy's Prawn Place. I thought it was overrated and service was poor. I'd avoid that.

Another restaurant you might want to try is in Haleiwa called Opals. It's a Thai restaurant which was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. We were there the day they were filming the episode so we thought we'd give it a try. It was not bad but not great. Prices were reasonable.

We had our paddle board and surf lessons there by a older surfer dude named Brian in the same area. Fun stuff. Makes me want to go back.

Also, if you decide to go to Turtle Bay Resort, you'll have to try the Ahi Poke. It's spectacular.
            ​​​​​​https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Profile/M...98?tab=reviews
            Last edited by Mersey; Mar 13, 2020, 11:03 AM.
            Driver -Titleist 913 Diamana D+ 72 x5ct S shaft
            Metal woods - 13* Titleist 980F Strong 3
            Hybrid - 19 * and 21*Titleist 585H
            Irons - Titleist AP2 712 5-PW
            SW - 56* Titleist Vokey Spin Mill
            GW - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Mill
            Cleveland 588 60* Lob wedge
            Putter _ Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
            Bag- Titleist
            Ball - Pro-V1x or Bridgestone B330 RX

NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM

Comment

Originally posted by Pure View Post

Thanks for the feedback, went through that post and got some good info. Question about "http://www.hawaiiteetimesportal.com", I was also browsing around that site with interest in their multi-day packages. Did you have any issues with booking or issues with courses once you got there?
              nope, they were all in the tee sheet as “prepaid” when we arrived to the courses.

The only downside is that if it ends up raining (or you need to cancel) , I doubt you could get a refund from hawaiiteetimesportal

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 177,161   Posts: 1,863,183   Members: 47,780   Active Members: 329
              Welcome to our newest member, Kickingdirt.
              Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
              X