/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Nova Scotia Recommendations

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spot View Post

Why not save yourself some time and fly into Sydney
    Don't think that is possible unless the airlines change their mind given that most have cancelled flights to Sydney effective 7 Jan. Maybe they will be back by the summer if Covid settles down. If you are going to Cabot, you don't really save any time by flying into Sydney. It is a two hour drive from Sydney Airport to Cabot, given wait times for flights at Halifax to Sydney of at least an hour, you won't save much given it is a about 3 hours from Halifax Airport to Cabot. Besides, the drive is quite scenic for the most part. A little different if you are playing Lakes at Ben Eoin first and then going to Cabot or Highlands. That might save you a bit of time.

Comment

Originally posted by threeputt View Post

Don't think that is possible unless the airlines change their mind given that most have cancelled flights to Sydney effective 7 Jan. Maybe they will be back by the summer if Covid settles down. If you are going to Cabot, you don't really save any time by flying into Sydney. It is a two hour drive from Sydney Airport to Cabot, given wait times for flights at Halifax to Sydney of at least an hour, you won't save much given it is a about 3 hours from Halifax Airport to Cabot. Besides, the drive is quite scenic for the most part. A little different if you are playing Lakes at Ben Eoin first and then going to Cabot or Highlands. That might save you a bit of time.
      I looked at flying into Sydney (from Ottawa) and you had to fly through Halifax anyway. Not sure if the same thing exists from Toronto but it made no sense to me to get to Cabot.
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by wrigley View Post

I found the food at Panorama good but overrated and expensive, I'm not a fine dining guy and would have rather put my money into another round. The food at the pub is very good, probably the best fish and chips I have had, it has a nice patio also. There is also another bar across the street that had decent food.

The food at Glenora is good also, took the tour, they claim they are the only Scotch distiller outside of Scotland.
        We did breakfast at Panorama several days but never had dinner there. We ate at the pub, Glenora and the Red Shoe which were more our style and the food at all was fantastic and very reasonable.
        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Hey OP, I'm frequently travelling from Toronto to Halifax for work and I've got to know the tracks there fairly well. For the trip you are describing, I would highly recommend playing Oakfield when you land and try playing Glen Arbour on the way back. Even if the conditions at Glen Arbour are not great, the layout more than makes up for it IMO. If you wanted to take a slight detour, Northhumberland Links is an underrated course that is a lot of fun. Like some others have said, I also wouldn't recommend Brunello. Its over priced, the wrong direction and its brutally tough. After all, you don't want to ruin the good vibes before you get to Cabot. Cheers and good luck.
          Wedges: Vokey's
          Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback

Comment

Brew99 I also wanted to plan a similar trip for this summer but how do you plan to get around the. “Atlantic bubble” requiring you to quarantine for 14 days if you are not from the Maritimes?

Comment

Originally posted by grass connoisseur View Post
              Brew99 I also wanted to plan a similar trip for this summer but how do you plan to get around the. “Atlantic bubble” requiring you to quarantine for 14 days if you are not from the Maritimes?
              I believe the hope is by summer we may have enough folks vaccinated and the virus under control to allow in country travel.

Comment

Originally posted by threeputt View Post

I believe the hope is by summer we may have enough folks vaccinated and the virus under control to allow in country travel.
                Yes thats the hope. Get something on the books as all bookings are cancellable if the situation does not allow for travel. Cabot policy is free cancel 30 days prior to arrival so we should know what the situation is by then. Once things start opening up there is going to be a great deal of pent up demand so we wanted to get something booked and hope if works out. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by Maritime Golfer 77 View Post
                  I live in Halifax and I am a member at Ashburn. We have 2 courses (Old Course-Stanley Thompson and New Course-Geoffrey Cornish). They are a bit out of your way towards Inverness, but I am happy to host if you are interested. I can't make any guarantees as we had very restricted guest policy due to Covid-19 this year but you can contact me closer to your travel date (if it happens-NS has the strictest travel policy in Canada).

Links at Brunello is somewhat overrated in my opinion (plus it is well over $100 and you have to take a cart). Tee times at Oakfield will be hard to get since they are semi-private and they are usually busy with members. Glen Arbour is in really bad shape, so I would avoid it also. If you want something on your way towards Cape Breton, I would go with Links at Penn Hills (Les Furber), Truro (Stanley Thompson involved*), Abercrombie or Antigonish. They are all decent courses with reasonable green fees.
                  That's very generous of you, really appreciate it. I will send you a PM!

Comment

Originally posted by MC93 View Post
                    Hey OP, I'm frequently travelling from Toronto to Halifax for work and I've got to know the tracks there fairly well. For the trip you are describing, I would highly recommend playing Oakfield when you land and try playing Glen Arbour on the way back. Even if the conditions at Glen Arbour are not great, the layout more than makes up for it IMO. If you wanted to take a slight detour, Northhumberland Links is an underrated course that is a lot of fun. Like some others have said, I also wouldn't recommend Brunello. Its over priced, the wrong direction and its brutally tough. After all, you don't want to ruin the good vibes before you get to Cabot. Cheers and good luck.
                    Great thanks or the tips, appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

We did breakfast at Panorama several days but never had dinner there. We ate at the pub, Glenora and the Red Shoe which were more our style and the food at all was fantastic and very reasonable.
                      Going to check out the Red Shoe for sure based on the reo's here. Sounds much more appropriate for a trip to cape breton. We can pay for overpriced food and wine anytime in Toronto. Well not in a pandemic I suppose.
                      Last edited by Brew99; Jan 9, 2021, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Yes, Red Shoe is great but a bit of a ways to travel -- requires a DD for sure. We have made the Red Shoe a lunchtime pit stop either on arrival or getaway days. Glenora is easily reached by cab, so everyone can sample the whisky. It's food trends more to the upscale, like Panorama, though. Antigonish can also be a nice place to stop for lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by midlifecrisis View Post
                          Yes, Red Shoe is great but a bit of a ways to travel -- requires a DD for sure. We have made the Red Shoe a lunchtime pit stop either on arrival or getaway days. Glenora is easily reached by cab, so everyone can sample the whisky. It's food trends more to the upscale, like Panorama, though. Antigonish can also be a nice place to stop for lunch.
                          I would recommend a DD to go to either place if you plan on having a few. Red Shoe is another 10 minutes down route 19 from Glenora, if you are driving direct from Halifax airport you will pass both places along the way to Cabot.

Comment

Originally posted by Brew99 View Post

Going to check out the Red Shoe for sure based on the redo's. Sounds much more appropriate for a trip to cape breton. We can pay for overpriced food and wine anytime in Toronto. Well not in a pandemic I suppose.
                            I would recommend the social house on site at cabot over panorama every time. east coast pub food, lots of beer options, live east coast music. it gets pretty lively at night and is a great time. if you stay late enough it usually leads to a chipping contest on 18 as the flood lights from panorama shine onto the 18th green plus 50 yards behind it.

Comment

Looks like some of these idiots are being identified and are losing their jobs.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/07/us/ca...rnd/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by wrigley View Post
                                Looks like some of these idiots are being identified and are losing their jobs.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/07/us/ca...rnd/index.html
                                Wrong topic I think.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X