No announcement yet.
Collapse

Nova Scotia Recommendations

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are planning a 2 week road trip for September centered around playing Cabot, will stay on property for two nights.
    Direct drive from Oakville is around 19 hours, so obviously will spend the night somewhere probably Quebec / NB border.
    Will be taking the bicycles for some sightseeing. Trip will be a combination of Tourism with Mrs fastcar and will include PEI as we have good friends that have a summer place there. Hopefully we will have our vaccines first and second dose by then.
    Any advice for destinations to consider would be much appreciated including St Andrews, NB. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jimfastcar View Post
      We are planning a 2 week road trip for September centered around playing Cabot, will stay on property for two nights.
      Direct drive from Oakville is around 19 hours, so obviously will spend the night somewhere probably Quebec / NB border.
      Will be taking the bicycles for some sightseeing. Trip will be a combination of Tourism with Mrs fastcar and will include PEI as we have good friends that have a summer place there. Hopefully we will have our vaccines first and second dose by then.
      Any advice for destinations to consider would be much appreciated including St Andrews, NB. Thanks
      One thing that stood out from our trip out that way a few years ago was the seafood chowder.

We made a point of having it with every meal, and it was always very good and with some interesting variations here and there. You might give that a try...

The very best we had was in Moncton, at https://www.catch22lobsterbar.com/ The rest of their menu was pretty good too.

Good luck with the trip and the vaccines. I'm finding it difficult to plan so far ahead with all the uncertainty.
      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
      ...Iggy

Comment

Has anyone mentioned Cabot... lol have had the chance to play them each twice, ridiculously nice gold courses.

a lot of people disagree with this take, but other prominent courses out there are Highland Links, Northern part of Cabot trail, but I prefer Bell Bay, which is closer to Halifax.

Comment

Anyone considering Cabot Links might want to know that they are legit getting booked up for August already. I called and booked my 2 days of 36 for August 22-23, and there were limited times each morning already. Also, you need to pay a 100% deposit now, can cancel up to 21 days before.
          WITB
          9.5 Nike Covert
          15 TM Rocketballz
          3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
          52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
          TM White Smoke

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, anyone travelling for non-essential reasons into Nova Scotia from outside of the Martimes must self-isolate for 14 days. That could make a golf weekend VERY LONG. Did I miss something?

Here is the notice from the NS government which appears to support my point:
            • "People travelling from outside New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island for non-essential reasons must self-isolate for 14 days when they arrive in Nova Scotia. Everyone in the home where they are self-isolating will have to self-isolate as well. Nobody in that home can leave the property for 14 days and they cannot have visitors. If they have already self-isolated in New Brunswick or Prince Edward Island, they may enter Nova Scotia without self-isolating again.
              • Every adult (age 18 or older) arriving from outside New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island needs to complete a Safe Check-in Form before they travel to the province. You can complete and submit the Safe Check-in Form online here: https://travel-declaration.novascotia.ca/
              • When you arrive in Nova Scotia you need show that you submitted the form by providing the confirmation email you receive after submitting the form online. You also need to provide government-issued identification (like a Drivers Licence or Health Card) or a utility bill or bank statement that shows your permanent home address.
              • People travelling from outside New Brunswick or Prince Edward Island also need to follow public health directives while they're in Nova Scotia.
            Tourism Nova Scotia will relay any change in travel restrictions as soon as the information becomes available. Please read below for more information."

COVID-19 ( Coronavirus ) Updates | Tourism Nova Scotia, Canada

Originally posted by hoganapexplus View Post
            Anyone considering Cabot Links might want to know that they are legit getting booked up for August already. I called and booked my 2 days of 36 for August 22-23, and there were limited times each morning already. Also, you need to pay a 100% deposit now, can cancel up to 21 days before.
            This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
              Unless I'm mistaken, anyone travelling for non-essential reasons into Nova Scotia from outside of the Martimes must self-isolate for 14 days. That could make a golf weekend VERY LONG. Did I miss something?

Here is the notice from the NS government which appears to support my point:
              • "People travelling from outside New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island for non-essential reasons must self-isolate for 14 days when they arrive in Nova Scotia. Everyone in the home where they are self-isolating will have to self-isolate as well. Nobody in that home can leave the property for 14 days and they cannot have visitors. If they have already self-isolated in New Brunswick or Prince Edward Island, they may enter Nova Scotia without self-isolating again.
                • Every adult (age 18 or older) arriving from outside New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island needs to complete a Safe Check-in Form before they travel to the province. You can complete and submit the Safe Check-in Form online here: https://travel-declaration.novascotia.ca/
                • When you arrive in Nova Scotia you need show that you submitted the form by providing the confirmation email you receive after submitting the form online. You also need to provide government-issued identification (like a Drivers Licence or Health Card) or a utility bill or bank statement that shows your permanent home address.
                • People travelling from outside New Brunswick or Prince Edward Island also need to follow public health directives while they're in Nova Scotia.
              Tourism Nova Scotia will relay any change in travel restrictions as soon as the information becomes available. Please read below for more information."

COVID-19 ( Coronavirus ) Updates | Tourism Nova Scotia, Canada

Currently yes you are correct. I am hopeful that restrictions will be lifted or I will be vaccinated by then. If they are still in place I will sadly cancel the trip.
              WITB
              9.5 Nike Covert
              15 TM Rocketballz
              3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
              52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
              TM White Smoke

Comment

Sadly, I understand you only too well. What I wouldn’t give to return to Nova Scotia for a longish visit. Having worked or lived their for 22 years, I miss the province and its people. Here’s hoping that normalcy returns by the time of your trip.

Currently yes you are correct. I am hopeful that restrictions will be lifted or I will be vaccinated by then. If they are still in place I will sadly cancel the trip.

Comment

Sadly, I understand you only too well. What I wouldn’t give to return to Nova Scotia for a longish visit. Having worked or lived their for 22 years, I miss the province and its people. Here’s hoping that normalcy returns by the time of your trip.

The other motive at play is that Cabot is only going to increase in cost as it rises in the world rankings. With Cliffs at #11 for Golf Digest the cost has gone from roughly $200 3 years ago to $400 this year. They have added a 10 hole Par 3 and are on their way to becoming a premier destination like Bandon. I will be bummed if we cannot go. And yes, Cape Breton in particular and the East Cost in general is a part of our country I love. I did my teacher training in NFLD and would have stayed if job opportunities had been different.
                  WITB
                  9.5 Nike Covert
                  15 TM Rocketballz
                  3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
                  52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
                  TM White Smoke

Comment

When we lived in Halifax, we used to visit Cape Breton in the spring and the fall for the weekend. We’d play the Highlands and have a great time for the backbreaking cost of $120 per person, accommodation include. I used to visit there, as well, on my own to play in golf tournaments in Sidney and in Baddeck. Great times. Great memories. Unfortunately, when we left NS in 1999, the new courses were not in existence.

The other motive at play is that Cabot is only going to increase in cost as it rises in the world rankings. With Cliffs at #11 for Golf Digest the cost has gone from roughly $200 3 years ago to $400 this year. They have added a 10 hole Par 3 and are on their way to becoming a premier destination like Bandon. I will be bummed if we cannot go. And yes, Cape Breton in particular and the East Cost in general is a part of our country I love. I did my teacher training in NFLD and would have stayed if job opportunities had been different.

Comment

When we lived in Halifax, we used to visit Cape Breton in the spring and the fall for the weekend. We’d play the Highlands and have a great time for the backbreaking cost of $120 per person, accommodation include. I used to visit there, as well, on my own to play in golf tournaments in Sidney and in Baddeck. Great times. Great memories. Unfortunately, when we left NS in 1999, the new courses were not in existence.

I grew up in Ontario but moved to Halifax about 15 years ago (lived in San Diego for 1 year during that time). My colleagues in Toronto have to sit in their cars and commute to work 2-3 hours a day while I walk to work which takes 7 minutes. I do miss my family, friends and some of the restaurants but I would not move back to Ontario as the quality of life is so much better in NS, in my opinion. Anyone wanting to Ashburn in Halifax, please let me know when the travel restrictions lift; we have 2 courses (Stanley Thompson and Geoffrey Cornish designed).

Comment

I always thought that I’d retire in Halifax. I love the province and it's people. By the way, the old and new Asburn courses are great.

Originally posted by Maritime Golfer 77 View Post

I grew up in Ontario but moved to Halifax about 15 years ago (lived in San Diego for 1 year during that time). My colleagues in Toronto have to sit in their cars and commute to work 2-3 hours a day while I walk to work which takes 7 minutes. I do miss my family, friends and some of the restaurants but I would not move back to Ontario as the quality of life is so much better in NS, in my opinion. Anyone wanting to Ashburn in Halifax, please let me know when the travel restrictions lift; we have 2 courses (Stanley Thompson and Geoffrey Cornish designed).

Comment

We cancelled our rounds at Cabot last year within the time permitted. Was hoping to go this year BUT it's not looking promising. The wife says she is happy with staying at the house for two weeks. We have access to the family house outside of Cheticamp. And we both battled Covid this year. She at home Me in the hospital. So we are not sure we are even ready for travel yet. But when are able to travel with no restrictions I'm ready to go. Besides Cabot has my $$$$ my wife got me a gift card for a round I can use it towards residents rates . Still need to reserve with a CC then they take from gift card the cost. My choices would be Cabot , Highland Links, Bell Bay then LaPortage All on the trail.

Frank

Comment

Did the east coast golf in 2017. Played Crowbush and Dundarave in PEI. In Nova Scotia played at Highland Links and both Cabot courses. The Cliff is prettier and more challenging of the two. Both courses had a number of blind shots so local knowledge (caddy) is helpful. I didn’t use one and on a number well struck shots I either lost the balls or they rolled into areas that were unplayable. The greens were slow as the grass on were fairly long. Because of the grass used you can walk on the green with your pull cart. When I was there was only one driving range. Can’t remember which course had it so give yourself enough time to warm up courses are about 10 mins apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrek888 View Post
                              Did the east coast golf in 2017. Played Crowbush and Dundarave in PEI. In Nova Scotia played at Highland Links and both Cabot courses. The Cliff is prettier and more challenging of the two. Both courses had a number of blind shots so local knowledge (caddy) is helpful. I didn’t use one and on a number well struck shots I either lost the balls or they rolled into areas that were unplayable. The greens were slow as the grass on were fairly long. Because of the grass used you can walk on the green with your pull cart. When I was there was only one driving range. Can’t remember which course had it so give yourself enough time to warm up courses are about 10 mins apart.
                              I did almost the exact same trip in 2018. Played Crowbush (twice), Dundarave and Brudenell in PEI. Play both Cabot courses, Highland Links and Le Portage in Cheticamp. Cliffs is definitely prettier, but I think Links is much harder. Driving range is located at Cliffs.

Others that I wanted to play but didn't have time or were too far out of the way were Links at Brunello near Halifax and the Lakes in Cape Breton. Read mixed reviews of Fox Harbour, so it wasn't high on my list.
                              Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post

I did almost the exact same trip in 2018. Played Crowbush (twice), Dundarave and Brudenell in PEI. Play both Cabot courses, Highland Links and Le Portage in Cheticamp. Cliffs is definitely prettier, but I think Links is much harder. Driving range is located at Cliffs.

Others that I wanted to play but didn't have time or were too far out of the way were Links at Brunello near Halifax and the Lakes in Cape Breton. Read mixed reviews of Fox Harbour, so it wasn't high on my list.
                                I enjoyed Fox Harbour, have stopped there twice on my way to Cape Breton. Resort is nice, food is good, my wife liked the spa and rooms were good too. Both times I have been there the course was in very good condition. I am also a fan of the Lakes at Ben Eoin, nice course and they are really trying to up their game. The hotel has re-opened and they have built a number of cabins right on site too.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X