Where in the world to travel for "foodie food" AND cheap golf

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where in the world to travel for "foodie food" AND cheap golf

Hey nuts,

So probably in a couple of years and hopefully when the world's a little more normal then, the wife and I and our future kid (got baby #1 on the way due in a few mths) are HOPING to maybe travel somewhere. She loves watching Youtube food bloggers eat in various Asian countries and I like eating and golfing (but not paying an arm and a leg for a round) so was wondering if there's a country/city/destination that'll fulfill this criteria.

She's Chinese background and I'm Filipino background but when I went to the Philippines a few yrs ago, I remember golf being pretty expensive there (despite everything else being cheap) so I'm not sure if I would ever bring my clubs if travelling to the Philippines.

My vote would be Thailand or Vietnam. Checks all the boxes for food and golf.

Comment

Kinda tough, Asia (thailand, vietname, and cam, etc.) and Guangzhou for foodie. But golf ain't cheap in that part of the world. In Thailand, Mon-Wednes 12-3pm usually very hot so it's much much cheaper, but you still looking at $50usd (golf, caddie, cart, tips) etc. It's kinda cheap if you consider the experience.
      ERC Fusion 9 degree driver (yes the original) - M6 Irons - Callaway X Fairway Hot 3/5 Woods
      Cleveland RTX4 54, 58 - Yes! Ann putter - TM Flextech Crossover carry bag
      SC300 Swing Caddie
      Swing: https://youtu.be/fbWhHmLksZk

Comment

Too many nice courses in the states.

Comment

Originally posted by ac99 View Post
          Kinda tough, Asia (thailand, vietname, and cam, etc.) and Guangzhou for foodie. But golf ain't cheap in that part of the world. In Thailand, Mon-Wednes 12-3pm usually very hot so it's much much cheaper, but you still looking at $50usd (golf, caddie, cart, tips) etc. It's kinda cheap if you consider the experience.
          What course in Thailand did you pay $50 I wonder. I've not seen less than $100 in Thailand or Vietnam.
          Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
          Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

I think Malaysia is a good bargain. As I've said before the state of Johor north of Singapore has some really nice golf resorts, beaches, rainforests etc. The golf packages can be really reasonable with lots to do after your round of golf. Malay food while not often mentioned in the same sentences as Thai or Viet is great. A mix of all the cultures that have occupied or settled there. Like Thailand, it's hot. There is another thread I believe where I listed some resorts. Can fly to KL or Singapore. Both cities are worth a visit as well although Singapore isn't cheap. The drive from KL to Johor is 3-5 hours depending on where you stay. From Singapore is 1-2 hours generally. But for golf in Asia Malaysia is probably the best bargain now. Cambodia is emerging but the good resorts are remote.
            I agree with Gimmeabogey that Thailand isn't cheap generally for golf. Bargains can be found but in my experience they are not good courses. Some course offer seasonal memberships which can bring the cost way down but not worth your time unless you are staying for several months.

Comment

Maybe stay within Canada - head to either the QC eastern townships or east coast for some food n golf - apply the savings from not having to purchase plane tickets to your budget?

Comment

Originally posted by gimmeabogey View Post

What course in Thailand did you pay $50 I wonder. I've not seen less than $100 in Thailand or Vietnam.
                correct, definitely not in Pattaya or phuket. In bangkok, pine hurst, bangokok gc, green valley or muang kaew. the courses will have promotions from time to time especially during mid day of hot summer days. Chaingmai also have some good deals from time to time as well.

Played only once in Vietnam, too expensive.For those prices, I'd rather go to Thailand and/or Hainan which would meet the OP's requirements.
                ERC Fusion 9 degree driver (yes the original) - M6 Irons - Callaway X Fairway Hot 3/5 Woods
                Cleveland RTX4 54, 58 - Yes! Ann putter - TM Flextech Crossover carry bag
                SC300 Swing Caddie
                Swing: https://youtu.be/fbWhHmLksZk

Comment

Check out Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia. Modern city, off the beaten path, less touristy, everyone speaks English, and cheaper than the usual suspects.

Comment

Thanks, all! Looks like Malaysia is the general consensus. :-)

Comment

I will buck the trend and suggest renting a car and visiting rural ( non touristy) France and Spain. Small , out of the way villages with exceptional food ( best in the world IMO) and wine, wonderful charm and friendly people. Will not break the bank either. I am sure you can find golf along the way.
                      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                      X